Need Expertise on Rubber Softeners

More
19 Oct 2007 10:17 #177079 by Spot
Looking for rubber softeners, I compiled this list from a google search:

Bleach; Gasoline; Transmission stop leak; Brake fluid; Antifreeze; Rubbing alcohol; Castor Oil; Dioctyl Sebacate (PVC plasticizer); Silicone waterproofing for re-proofing camping tents; Car racing tire conditioner (various brands).

Anyone out there experienced in reconditioning carb inlet ducts?

Good judgment comes from experience, which usually comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2007 10:43 #177083 by flht1997
Replied by flht1997 on topic Need Expertise on Rubber Softeners
if you are talking about the air cleaner to carb boots. i have alway just boiled water and plopped them in for a minute. it will give you about three minutes of working time. wear gloves cause they will be hot, but the come out like rubber bands.
i do not think there is something that will permanently soften then back up.

Matt Milwaukee, WI
75' KZ400, (5) 78' KZ400, 76' KZ 750, 78' KZ650
78'CB750F, 78' CB550K
89' BMW R100RT
05' H-D Electra Glide
06' KLR650
Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.

More
19 Oct 2007 13:33 #177106 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic Need Expertise on Rubber Softeners
I've been trying power steering fluid with some success. It's not getting them back to pristine condition, but it does seem to be softening them some. Picked up the idea from an MG restoration site.

More
19 Oct 2007 13:43 #177107 by Kiwiz
Replied by Kiwiz on topic Need Expertise on Rubber Softeners
After much messing around trying to soften the old ones and spending much time trying to refit the oldies, I gave it away and bought some fresh ones.

Believe me the saving in aggravation was worth the few dollars involved.

More
19 Oct 2007 14:49 #177114 by Dr Zed
Replied by Dr Zed on topic Need Expertise on Rubber Softeners
You guys might like to look up the website of Ozrace re: rubber softener, I bought some of their AZNU tyre softener a while back and it works well on carb holders etc, you should be able to source it in the states with the amount of drag racing that happens over there. Website is www.ozrace.com ., best of luck !!!
Tony
B) B) B)

More
19 Oct 2007 16:45 - 03 Dec 2008 07:18 #177121 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 07:18 by JMKZHI.

More
19 Oct 2007 18:02 #177130 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Need Expertise on Rubber Softeners
You might try PB Blaster too. It will swell and soften o-rings, might work on airbox boots.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
19 Oct 2007 18:40 #177138 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic Need Expertise on Rubber Softeners
Something i have used successfully is simple vaseline.

Of course it's all a matter of how dried-out and brittle the rubber you are trying to recondition is but essentially the vaseline is a petroleum(sp?) product as many rubbers are too. Just rub the vaseline onto the rubber parts and let sit. The older and harder the rubber is the longer you might have to leave it. Sometimes even applying more after a few days. When you are ready to use the part, just wipe it free of any excess vaseline. Oh, yeah... and don't put the jar back in the medicine cabinet, your wife might not approve of your new found use for her make-up remover :whistle:

Another great tip for rubber parts is using rubbing alcohol (i pour it into small atomizer bottles and spray it onto the parts) when installing tight-fitting rubber parts. Rubbing alcohol will make it slippery as greased-lightening and then evaporate clean, leaving no mess.

Storing rubber parts is made easier by putting them into plastic baggies and dumping in some talc powder (baby powder) which will keep them soft and in good condition.

I use these steps in daily vintage auto restoration.

More
19 Oct 2007 19:23 #177147 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic Need Expertise on Rubber Softeners
pods/z1enterprises.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

More
19 Oct 2007 22:18 #177181 by Spot
Replied by Spot on topic Need Expertise on Rubber Softeners
themachine wrote:

pods/z1enterprises.

I don't know enough about carb rejetting, etc to try pods!:blink:

Post edited by: Spot, at: 2007/10/20 13:29

Good judgment comes from experience, which usually comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers

More
20 Oct 2007 08:41 #177232 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Need Expertise on Rubber Softeners
spot, I messed with mine for years, even "melted" one in the microwave. I understand money can be tight but getting new ones from Z1 will be like a night and day differance! Carbs will come on and off in half the time! Best way to go! :)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:

More
20 Oct 2007 10:34 #177251 by Spot
Replied by Spot on topic Need Expertise on Rubber Softeners
Thanks for the help everyone! I tried the boiling water. They were soft until they made contact with the carb. The metal cooled them and they stayed in the position they were in. Since I was stretching them, they stayed stretched out.
I'm gonna order new ones, and experiment with these while I'm waiting for them to come in. I'll try vaseline on one, bleach on one, power steering fluid on one, and antifreeze on one. I'll let y'all know what happens to them.