Need Expertise on Rubber Softeners

More
02 Nov 2007 19:37 #179383 by Spot
Replied by Spot on topic Need Expertise on Rubber Softeners
Got my new ones in, and boy are they soft!! I didn't realize how hard the others had become. Still gonna test the old ones with suggested stuff, so we will be Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) for anyone else reading this thread.

Thanks for all of the helpful participation!:) :) :)

Good judgment comes from experience, which usually comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2008 08:13 #196249 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic Need Expertise on Rubber Softeners
This is an old thread, but I thought I'd report on what I've done.

I tried several different products to soften the carb boots on my kz750. The only one that helped a litte was the power steering fluid.

So I wasn't looking forward to putting them back on when I remembered someone mentioned putting them in hot water to soften the boots. Set up my little single burner in the garage and heated up some water to just below boiling.

Man, did it work :woohoo: In less than a minute the boot was soft (or softer) then brand new. It took a little practice getting them on, but I would usually have about 3-4 minutes before they started to stiffen again. Found that feeding them in from the airbox, pushing them almost all the way through, fitting them around the carb, then pushing them gentle back into the airbox worked best.

One of these days I'll buy new ones, but for now this works great!

More
22 Feb 2008 09:54 #196275 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Need Expertise on Rubber Softeners
flht1997 wrote:

if you are talking about the air cleaner to carb boots. i have alway just boiled water and plopped them in for a minute. it will give you about three minutes of working time. wear gloves cause they will be hot, but the come out like rubber bands.
i do not think there is something that will permanently soften them back up.

True. There are solvents that will strip the top layer of hardened rubber off, but it won't reverse the aging process. The stuff we used on turntable and VCR belts was called "rubber renue" or something like that. You could wipe rubber parts with it and it would take off the hardened surface and expose some softer rubber.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
22 Feb 2008 11:06 #196288 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Need Expertise on Rubber Softeners
i put rubber parts in ziplock bags full of armor-all after i clean them up and let em sit,sometimes for months just keep topping off the armor-all.works really good on smaller partsB)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.