Yep, as Wheelhop said new repop rear fender and a used taillight and mounting bracket from ebay. I told myself I wasn't going to spend money on cosmetics until I got the bike running but I couldn't stand looking at it with no taillight/fender ( gives me a bit of motivation ). I also had to replace the fuse box that someone removed.
I checked the valve lash and all were in spec but one was a bit tight replaced a 270 shim for a 265. I then installed a battery and did a compression check, 150-147-140-150 I think the low one will improve when I get some heat in the engine so good enough for now.
On to the carbs, these have been sitting on my bench for a month as I just walk by them, I started disassembly last night and they look better than I expected for sitting for years and man do they stink what fuel that was still in the bowls looked like dark molasses.
Good eye Mikaw ! I noticed that when I was removing the bowls, a WTF moment. I'll need to be sure to double check everything now.
The carb bodies aren't drilled for accelerator pump so all good there but thanks for the heads up on that I may have overlooked that tidbit without you mentioning it.........Thanks!
If the engine runs fine once the carbs are sorted out I wouldn’t bother rechecking compression. The numbers you posted are already good. The reason for not checking is that it’ll only serve to bother you if they’re not perfect and to make them perfect requires substantial engine work. Just "assume" they all improved. That’s my method anyways.
"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheelhop, Moose1800
Thanks for your input blipco that was my thought also, I was kinda surprised with the numbers and also the fact the valve lash was near perfect.
This bike has been setting for a few years but at least it was kept in a garage. I'm wondering if it's had any internal engine work, I noticed it has a modification to the cam chain tensioner with a bolt and lock nut at the rear of the tensioner, I also removed 125 main jets from the carbs which seem a bit much for a stock 1000 with just a 4 into 1 pipe and pods.
I've thought about taking the carbs off my LTD and putting them on just to fire it up but I think I'll just wait till I get these carbs done.