Use Both Brakes

More
31 Mar 2016 14:01 - 31 Mar 2016 14:10 #718544 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Use Both Brakes
OK I finally got to see it with my lap top... not sure why it wouldn't play on the other or my iPhone.
Here's the deal... it was classic lock the rear brake, zero traction, a little skidding fish tail and having no idea how to counter steer in a skid, with lean into the left skid and then when he let go of the rear brake so hard, the rear tire got traction again, the bike tries to right itself (it always knows) and hi high sided him.
Classic in the sense that like any of you who ride motocross would know.... when that rear tire hooks up after a skid, the bike will try to stand up if you are still leaned into the skidding turn with the front wheel pulling opposite.
And applying front brake in a high speed turn under neutral power is a mistake too... you will throw the weight and balance off by unloading the rear tire and spin out again.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
Last edit: 31 Mar 2016 14:10 by missionkz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
More
01 Apr 2016 03:54 #718643 by ThatGPzGuy
Replied by ThatGPzGuy on topic Use Both Brakes

Kidkawie wrote: That guy was a novice.

I'd do a stoppie before that happened. 20+ years of MX and single track you learn how to brake.

Absolutely. I always advice newbies to ride dirt bikes for awhile first.
I can lock up both brakes and still keep the bike upright. I avoid the doubles on my GPz though... :laugh:

Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

More
01 Apr 2016 17:22 #718766 by Jussumguy
Replied by Jussumguy on topic Use Both Brakes
Heh heh heh
The guy in the shorts has a man bun

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
01 Apr 2016 17:31 #718770 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Use Both Brakes

ThatGPzGuy wrote:

I'd do a stoppie before that happened. 20+ years of MX and single track you learn how to brake.

I can lock up both brakes and still keep the bike upright. I avoid the doubles on my GPz though... :laugh:

Broke my collarbone on a dirt bike once. Taking the jumps through the greasewoods and one caught the bike, I kept going. Tried to roll but landed on my shoulder. The bike rolled up to me and fell over the other way. Had to ride it home.
I stuck to street after that.
Steve

More
01 Apr 2016 18:11 #718774 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Use Both Brakes

swest wrote:

ThatGPzGuy wrote:

Broke my collarbone on a dirt bike once. Taking the jumps through the greasewoods and one caught the bike, I kept going. Tried to roll but landed on my shoulder. The bike rolled up to me and fell over the other way. Had to ride it home.
I stuck to street after that.
Steve

if you haven't rolled up a motocross bike at least a half dozen times in your lifetime, then you either haven't really ridden one or you probably should not be riding one.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
01 Apr 2016 18:40 #718776 by SWest
Yeah, got too crazy on the thing. Let the young bucks do the stunts. They heal up better. I was 25 then. Taking a trials bike out alone, how STUPID.
Steve

More
01 Apr 2016 20:26 - 01 Apr 2016 20:34 #718794 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Use Both Brakes
Front brake versus rear brake effectiveness is a geometry problem.

Some bikes, when using maximum braking power, do almost all braking with the front. In extreme braking, obviously, the rear will do nothing if the front brake can lift the rear wheel off the ground. (Once the bike starts to tip forward, that much, you no longer have maximum braking applied. Your ability to slow down is then limited by the upright angle of the bike.)

However, other bikes may get the majority of their braking from the rear. The longer the wheel base, and especially if the front end is extended, the rear brake does increasingly more, as a percentage. The extreme would be a super-extended chopper. The front brake does almost nothing, and will lead to the front end washing out. That's why you often see choppers without a front brake, since it won't get used much at all. Obviously not a good design for handling etc. but they do exist, and you need to be aware of that in case you ever get on one. (You certainly won't be able to do a stoppie with a chopper.)

The bike in the video looks to have a pretty long wheel base, for its height and weight, in which case he is probably in the habit of using significant rear brake, and rightfully so. He just panicked and used too much. I doubt the geometry of that bike would allow for a stoppie either.

Do we know for sure he didn't use the front? I suspect he did. That would make the rear come around faster like it did in the video. (Then as Bruce said, when the rear re-gained traction, he was spit out like a bale of hay.)
Last edit: 01 Apr 2016 20:34 by loudhvx.

More
01 Apr 2016 20:35 #718795 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Use Both Brakes
I've broken a few bones being crazy on dirt bikes too. By the time I was 18 had broken leg, ankle, both wrists, dislocated toe, collar bone. Parents used to joke that I seem to be in the hospital every weekend. :lol:
Well, I enjoyed every minute mostly. That darn toe was the worst, rolled a Yamaha DT400 off a big dropoff, I guess got my foot caught in the wheel. Took off my boot and the toe was like 2" out of place. I still feel that after 40yrs now has passed. Get older, feel all those crazy moments now. At least I can say I've never hit anybody on the road, or locked up my rear brake and crashed thankfully.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
01 Apr 2016 20:39 #718797 by SWest
It seems being that low to the ground both brakes would have been effective. He decided to take evasive action then realized it was too late and put it down.
Steve

More
01 Apr 2016 20:43 #718799 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Use Both Brakes
One thing for sure, he was glad to have the chin-bar on that helmet, and gloves. That was a total face-plant landing.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
01 Apr 2016 21:03 #718801 by SWest
And the bike landed on him. I wonder how many cruiser riders get back on a bike after something like that? Any newbe for that matter. :whistle:
Steve

More
02 Apr 2016 05:20 - 02 Apr 2016 05:22 #718827 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Use Both Brakes

loudhvx wrote: ....

Do we know for sure he didn't use the front? I suspect he did. That would make the rear come around faster like it did in the video. (Then as Bruce said, when the rear re-gained traction, he was spit out like a bale of hay.)

No way did he use the front brake. Check the video out again and notice that the speed differential between his bike and the car in front of him was not that great. He really was not going that much faster than the car when he began braking, so the bike should have been able to decelerate as quickly as the car since the car did not appear to be doing a panic stop. In fact, he and the bike only barely caught up with the car after he crashed. Considering the fact that a bike that is braking properly will slow down much faster one that is flying through the air he should have been able to slow down safely. His bike appears to have a stock front fork and front brake, so I seriously doubt that the front brake would have been ineffective. I'm convinced that if he had applied the front brake he would have easily been able to slow the bike down. He seems to be a very inexperience rider with no clue about how to brake a motorcycle (rather than how to break a motorcycle). Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 02 Apr 2016 05:22 by 650ed.