Bobbers and Street fighters

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
12 Jan 2016 12:29 - 12 Jan 2016 12:29 #706453 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic Bobbers and Street fighters

zed1015 wrote: It is the skill of the builder that determines the success of a project NOT the tools he works with.

I have been saying this for years!

davido wrote: Dont know what bobbers are about but beards seem to be involved!

This is too true, lots of beards. I think the basic premise of a rat rod/ bobber is to make something from nothing. You take a bunch of rusty crappy parts and build something simple and cheap. i have a friend that has a XS650 bobber that he has all of $400 into. it was a total basket case when he picked it up and headed for the scrap yard. Now its back on the road. and he has a front brake!
Last edit: 12 Jan 2016 12:29 by DoctoRot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2016 13:42 #706458 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Bobbers and Street fighters
You guys are being overly critical. That green engine paint job, alone, probably was the bulk of the 150 man-hours.

• Mean Green Z28
  • User
  • Kawasaki NooB
More
12 Jan 2016 13:46 #706460 by Mean Green Z28
Replied by Mean Green Z28 on topic Re:Bobbers and Street fighters
Ooo I'm joining the debate! Heres my take on a "streetfighter" ... don't worry, I didn't hack up a perfectly good bike, the previous owner had already started doing a bobber project that I turned around.

2010 Camaro 2SS
1983 Kawi KZ1000P ... bag of bolts

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
12 Jan 2016 14:18 #706464 by SWest

More
12 Jan 2016 14:33 #706465 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic Bobbers and Street fighters
Street fight hell ya I'm in what ya'll bringin B)
Don't mind the time on the tank I slow it down to run that number.
[IMG

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.
The following user(s) said Thank You: !Seymore

More
12 Jan 2016 14:42 #706466 by peter1958
Attachments:

More
12 Jan 2016 16:10 #706488 by NakedFun
Replied by NakedFun on topic Bobbers and Street fighters

davido wrote: Streetfighters were born in the 80s when most bikes were fully faired,high speed race replicas.People tended to crash them (or drop them off the side stand) and smash the plastics which cost a fortune to replace. It was cheaper and easier to just strip them back,whack an aftermarket headlight on and get back on the road.The look caught on,performance upgrades followed,and a whole culture (and aftermarket parts industry) was born.
Dont know what bobbers are about but beards seem to be involved!

Since you brought it up, yes "Street Fighters" came out of the full fairing sport bikes that were damaged from crashing by the hooligans running them. Plastics are expensive and didn't matter so these bikes ran with out giving them "Street Fighter" creds.

As far as the bobbers, this came out of the soldiers returning home from WWII and the action and European influence such as fast little sports cars and European bikes. They came home to their old Hendersons, HD's, and Indians that were heavy and laden with gear. So they started lopping off parts and "bobbing" them to reduce weight and make them faster much as what the Cafe Racers did. The connection to the cruisers most make is because they stemmed from American iron that are by today's standards, cruiser like.

Cory

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mean Green Z28

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
12 Jan 2016 16:34 #706500 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Bobbers and Street fighters
I was under the impression the returning WW2 vets started the Chopper craze by chopping off parts they wanted to remove, shorten or lighten to make their bikes faster and sleeker

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
13 Jan 2016 01:30 #706527 by NakedFun
Replied by NakedFun on topic Bobbers and Street fighters
Choppers were a mid to late 60's trend about simply highly modifying a motorcycle.

Bobbers: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobber_(motorcycle)

Chopper:
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chopper_(motorcycle)

Cory

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

More
13 Jan 2016 06:51 #706559 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Bobbers and Street fighters

Street Fighter LTD wrote: I was under the impression the returning WW2 vets started the Chopper craze by chopping off parts they wanted to remove, shorten or lighten to make their bikes faster and sleeker

Correct. They wanted their Hd's and Indians etc to be competitive against the influx of the british Triumphs ,Bsa's and Nortons. which were much nimbler and lighter.
Choppers and bobbers were different names circulating at the same time which meant the same thing and depending on where you read there is dispute as to which term came first,
Bobbed was the term for chopping or removing the mudguards and Chopped was the term for lightening /altering the frame.
Chops and the name became more prevalent/public in the 60's when the form moved from simple performance and handling mods to the more cosmetic /artistic approach which veered towards impractical appearance rather than improving practical performance.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

More
13 Jan 2016 08:01 #706564 by Rockranch
Replied by Rockranch on topic Bobbers and Street fighters
Right U are Zed...right U are.

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1-all stock low mileage...
1 modified
1977 KZ1000 (awaiting resurrection!) :)
...and an old school Honda CB750 Chopper is next on my bucket list!

Oh...and a Pocket Rocket lol!!!

More
13 Jan 2016 13:11 #706616 by dom2570
Replied by dom2570 on topic Re:Bobbers and Street fighters

les holt wrote: Thanks for the compliment floivanus.

As a warning, I have a bobber coming down the pipe that the customer wants the build put up for people to see so we chose here as it's truly going to be a rule breaker in many respects, even for my taste it's out there but I'm betting it's going to be a well received bike.

Les

Les, I have followed many of your builds ripe with envy. I have no doubt that it is going to be a fantastic build.

Whip it like a mule!