Bobbers and Street fighters

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
12 Jan 2016 06:55 - 12 Jan 2016 06:56 #706419 by SWest
Last edit: 12 Jan 2016 06:56 by SWest.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2016 07:50 #706421 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic Bobbers and Street fighters
A Street fighter is built with a TIG welder, Milling machine and skilled application of thought, plan and engineering to incorporate modern technology and upgrades. The goal is to achieve a higher level of performance than was technically possible when the bike was originally built, while retaining the Bike's original character.
A Bobber is built with a hack-saw, acetylene torch, no thought or plan and repeated application of a 40oz Ball-peen hammer, typically resulting in a bike that never runs again. Those that do are often out right dangerous with performance that can only be compared to a lawn mower engine mini-bike.
One creates mechanical works of art, while the other creates Craigslist posts of over priced piles of parts.

• 9er rider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Keep a cool tool
More
12 Jan 2016 07:55 - 12 Jan 2016 07:57 #706422 by 9er rider
Replied by 9er rider on topic Bobbers and Street fighters

Attachment 76-2.jpg not found

To me, the totally stock bikes are rather boring, and riding a motorcycle is pretty much individuality and obsession all rolled up. Just over the years aftermarket bolt on goodies have dwindled and taken a different path to aftermarket parts. Its hard to say" my bone stock bike after 40 years" Before< it was what somebody found out or what some mechanic said or whats in a magazine. Now we've the net, and our kids are taking the bars to a newer level. Teach, Your Children Well is still ringing in my head

76 kz 900 1075 76 kz 900 a4 78 kz 1000 ltd
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Jan 2016 07:57 by 9er rider.

More
12 Jan 2016 08:03 - 12 Jan 2016 08:34 #706424 by Rockranch
Replied by Rockranch on topic Bobbers and Street fighters
It is safe to say that the general consensus among bike owners everywhere no matter what make or genre you're into, is that customizing a bike for whatever you want to build whether it be racing/dragbikes, choppers, bobbers, whatever it may be that floats your boat...is well received and welcomed by basically everyone involved. That is vastly apparent in the various member pic threads scattered throughout this site and all others. You cld also add that virtually everyone agrees that there is a VERY big difference between customizing any bike for whatever it is that you want to build, and senselessly chopping something up. Why else would this world be so full of thriving businesses that make and sell high performance and custom parts designed to make bikes haul ass and look cool??? :) The 'select few', are the ones that desperately need our prayers. Vroom-vroom!!!..............................Mike

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1-all stock low mileage...
1 modified
1977 KZ1000 (awaiting resurrection!) :)
...and an old school Honda CB750 Chopper is next on my bucket list!

Oh...and a Pocket Rocket lol!!!
Last edit: 12 Jan 2016 08:34 by Rockranch. Reason: unf
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ed_in_Miami

More
12 Jan 2016 09:17 #706430 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic Bobbers and Street fighters
Most of us are perfectly fine with folks doing whatever they want but;

If a post starts iut "I just bought this ancient relic for $200 and it's alright but I'm gonna cafe it, never owned a bike or a wrench before but I'm gonna do it" and they post up a picture of a dusty, but pristine Z1 or ELR that would fetch a nice payday as it sits, it would behoove the membership of a KZ restoration/enthusiast forum to speak up and try to sway them into the 'right' choice.

I am on a mopar forum where someone bought a 69 cuda with a 440/4 speed AC etc, basically on of something like a dozen cars made and gutted it, scrapped the motor, sold the 4 speed and threw in a 360 and 9 inch before posting. He paid $500 (IIRC) for a 10k plus car, so he thought it was worthless?

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
12 Jan 2016 09:23 #706431 by SWest

More
12 Jan 2016 09:35 #706434 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Bobbers and Street fighters

MDZ1rider wrote: A Street fighter is built with a TIG welder, Milling machine and skilled application of thought, plan and engineering to incorporate modern technology and upgrades. The goal is to achieve a higher level of performance than was technically possible when the bike was originally built, while retaining the Bike's original character.
A Bobber is built with a hack-saw, acetylene torch, no thought or plan and repeated application of a 40oz Ball-peen hammer, typically resulting in a bike that never runs again. Those that do are often out right dangerous with performance that can only be compared to a lawn mower engine mini-bike.
One creates mechanical works of art, while the other creates Craigslist posts of over priced piles of parts.

Yes sir. Notice the street fighter builder has gone through the effort to upgrade the suspension, brakes, etc. while the bobber builder has done his best to eliminate the brakes, suspension, etc. ;)

Street fighter:

Attachment hot-rod_kawazaki-z1_900cc.jpg not found

Bobber:

Attachment kiwidave-kz750chop.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
12 Jan 2016 09:58 #706435 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Bobbers and Street fighters
The term bar hopper comes to mind. Get pulled over drunk, run, no loss. :whistle:
Steve

More
12 Jan 2016 10:58 #706441 by Rockranch
Replied by Rockranch on topic Bobbers and Street fighters

floivanus wrote: Most of us are perfectly fine with folks doing whatever they want but;

If a post starts iut "I just bought this ancient relic for $200 and it's alright but I'm gonna cafe it, never owned a bike or a wrench before but I'm gonna do it" and they post up a picture of a dusty, but pristine Z1 or ELR that would fetch a nice payday as it sits, it would behoove the membership of a KZ restoration/enthusiast forum to speak up and try to sway them into the 'right' choice.

I am on a mopar forum where someone bought a 69 cuda with a 440/4 speed AC etc, basically on of something like a dozen cars made and gutted it, scrapped the motor, sold the 4 speed and threw in a 360 and 9 inch before posting. He paid $500 (IIRC) for a 10k plus car, so he thought it was worthless?

My point exactly...there is always the "select few" that need out prayers the most! LOL....................Mike

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1-all stock low mileage...
1 modified
1977 KZ1000 (awaiting resurrection!) :)
...and an old school Honda CB750 Chopper is next on my bucket list!

Oh...and a Pocket Rocket lol!!!

More
12 Jan 2016 11:24 - 12 Jan 2016 11:26 #706446 by redhawk4
Replied by redhawk4 on topic Bobbers and Street fighters
I think it's a shame to cut up a virtually original bike in decent condition. If you find the machine with some light mods is going to be" too boring" I think it would be better to sell it and buy something much cheaper to start making frame modifications etc. to. That seems to make economic sense too, regardless of your feelings about "destroying" an original machine.

I too see the big difference between improving a 70's machine with modern forks, suspension, brakes etc. as in the Streetfighter, making it more modern, as opposed to returning it's chassis to 1930's technology, when most of us are unhappy with 1970's technology :)

Everyone has their own dreams to fulfill and you certainly shouldn't be doing things because you are worried about what someone else wants, but I really struggle to understand what some are thinking, but that also goes for when I look at some of the people other people keep voting for - what are they thinking :( Fortunately we are all different otherwise if everyone liked the close to stock KZ1000A as much as I do, they'd be so expensive I wouldn't be able to afford to buy one.

1978 KZ1000A2 Wiseco 1075 kit
1977 KZ650B1
1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V
1968 BSA Victor Special 441
2015 Triumph Thunderbird LT
1980 Suzuki SP400

Old enough to know better, still too young to care
Last edit: 12 Jan 2016 11:26 by redhawk4.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rockranch

More
12 Jan 2016 11:37 #706447 by davido
Replied by davido on topic Bobbers and Street fighters
Streetfighters were born in the 80s when most bikes were fully faired,high speed race replicas.People tended to crash them (or drop them off the side stand) and smash the plastics which cost a fortune to replace. It was cheaper and easier to just strip them back,whack an aftermarket headlight on and get back on the road.The look caught on,performance upgrades followed,and a whole culture (and aftermarket parts industry) was born.
Dont know what bobbers are about but beards seem to be involved!

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

More
12 Jan 2016 12:22 - 12 Jan 2016 12:24 #706452 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Bobbers and Street fighters

MDZ1rider wrote: A Street fighter is built with a TIG welder, Milling machine and skilled application of thought, plan and engineering to incorporate modern technology and upgrades. The goal is to achieve a higher level of performance than was technically possible when the bike was originally built, while retaining the Bike's original character.

I have to disagree with the highlighted portions of your statement.
All of my builds have been subject to all the methods you have mentioned and they all run and perform just fine.
My latest project features Oxy/Acet welded aluminium bodywork that was shaped and beaten repeatedly with a ball pein hammer and that machine has run perfectly for the past 21 months since completion and it has even managed to overtake several lawnmower engined mini bikes with ease and still managed to remain in one piece.
All of my builds have won numerous awards and trophys as well as being featured in various magazines and have been on display at many of my country's motorcycle and custom shows.

It is the skill of the builder that determines the success of a project NOT the tools he works with.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 12 Jan 2016 12:24 by zed1015.