Bobbers and Street fighters

More
11 Jan 2016 08:22 #706295 by strum
Bobbers and Street fighters was created by strum
Guys I have been out of the loop for a while and now that im back lol.. I keep seeing these terms used describing bikes for sale.
I cant understand the concept of taking a decent bike and butchering it up to make these things.
Yall please understand Im not wanting to start a fight here. Im just trying to understand the reason guys are doing this.
And what is the difference between a street fighter and a bobber anyway?

Blairsville Ga.

1980 KZ1000 Shaft (sold and missed already)
2003 ZRX 1200R (sold)
2003 Concours ZG1000 (just purchased)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2016 09:42 #706309 by dom2570
Replied by dom2570 on topic Re:Bobbers and Street fighters
Streetfighters are more sporty, bobbers are more lazy? As to why people destroy perfectly good stock bikes, I have no idea. Turning a junker into one of these I can understand.

www.classic-japanese-bikes.com/Classic-K...-Streetfighters.html

www.classic-japanese-bikes.com/Kawasaki-bobber-motorcycles.html

Whip it like a mule!

More
11 Jan 2016 09:54 - 11 Jan 2016 09:55 #706310 by strum
Replied by strum on topic Bobbers and Street fighters
Now I have to say I like those Street Fighters!!1 Nicely done..as far as the bobbers and brat bikes...not for me.

Blairsville Ga.

1980 KZ1000 Shaft (sold and missed already)
2003 ZRX 1200R (sold)
2003 Concours ZG1000 (just purchased)
Last edit: 11 Jan 2016 09:55 by strum.

More
11 Jan 2016 10:51 #706318 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Bobbers and Street fighters

strum wrote: ....................... I cant understand the concept of taking a decent bike and butchering it up to make these things..........

I agree totally. I have seen some really nice bikes butchered into junk and often scrapped, including a nice totally original Eddie Lawson Replica, and to me it is a shame since a bike is only original once. The thing I have a problem understanding is why anyone would do that to a nice original bike when there are already so many non-original bikes available for customization. To me, those non-original bikes are fair game for modifications since in most cases they can only be improved, plus unlike original bikes their value won't be ruined since they have already taken the hit. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
11 Jan 2016 11:02 #706319 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Bobbers and Street fighters
Generally speaking Streetfightering was originally an exercise in reducing weight, improving handling and performance with the emphasis on performance with many engine modifications being transferred over from drag racing etc whereas bobbers etc whilst also having a basis in stripping off excess weight are primarily built for looks without any thought for improved handling and are probably the main culprit of the two for ruining a good machine.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 Jan 2016 11:12 #706321 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Bobbers and Street fighters
Kaw-a-holic has a good example of a street fighter. He had a wreck so the front end was toast so he upgraded the whole machine. Lots of time and money has gone into it and still is. When it is done it will be better than it was stock. Still has that KZ flavor. Other ones here as well. KZP' street fighters etc. I've only seen a hand full of bobbers and cafe racers I'd ride along with. IMO
Steve

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
11 Jan 2016 12:13 #706329 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Bobbers and Street fighters
I claim Street Fighter status for my bike.
As Zed said the Original street fighters added lots of drag strip power along with taking steps to improve handling and braking.
Plus in my case having owned my bike since new everything on it was part of a master plan of a wild youth to destroy all street light to street light competitors. For those of you here to protect stockers which I have no issues with all my Modifications are reversible if I ever chose to. Which I wont do in my life time as this Turbo bike was built to be a street fighter racer with all the power and tricks I learned as a
Member of a Top Fuel / Funny Bike team back in the late 70s and 80s.
Yours Truely
The Street Fighter LTD
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 531blackbanshee

More
11 Jan 2016 12:45 #706339 by NakedFun
Replied by NakedFun on topic Bobbers and Street fighters
Do I used to be in the Muscle Car restoration business and heard the same argument time and time again. Usually from people who couldn't afford to buy the car in the first place but wanted to crucify those who could. As far as I am concerned, to retrofit and older bike with new technology is probable what the factory would have done if the parts/tech were available. Now, completely customizing a rare or low number bike doesn't always make sense to me either even just from a $$$ perspective, but then again it is the owners time and money to do with as they wish. Mine was a high mile, all original '76 A4 from the original owner. I chose to build the bike I wanted. There are those who like my build, and I am sure there are those who don't. Really doesn't matter as I am building something I want.

Cory

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

More
11 Jan 2016 13:31 #706341 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Bobbers and Street fighters
There are some folks who do a very professional job in modding a bike, but for every one that does they are many more who just make a mess. Believe me, I understand anyone who owns a bike, car, etc. has the right to do whatever they want with it, that's part of freedom and I wouldn't change that. However, that doesn't mean they didn't ruin it if they turn a decent bike into a lump that ends up in the scrap yard. Example below. A short time member turned a pretty decent KZ650-C1 (near and dear to my heart, I know) that could have been a really nice bike into a lump of junk that would never run again. Everything on the bike was hacksawed, beat with a hammer, discarded, taped up, or replaced (even the engine with one from a Suzuki), and naturally the abortion was never completed and never ran. Yes, the owner had every right to do this to the bike, but what possible rationale could have led him down that path? The example below is just one of many utter failures that I have seen. Typically they are the result of folks who have no vague notion about motorcycles (many have never even ridden a bike); have no plan laid out; and believe anyone who can borrow a hacksaw immediately becomes a qualified motorcycle engineer. To me it is not unlike the Harley guys blowing up a Jap bike just for grins. Sure they have a right to do it (assuming they own the bike) but why do it? :unsure: Ed

Ultimate Fighter Before:

Attachment UltimateFighterBEFORE-4.jpg not found

Ultimate Fighter After:

Attachment UltimateFighterAFTER-6.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 Jan 2016 13:55 #706346 by SWest

More
11 Jan 2016 14:32 #706349 by NakedFun
Replied by NakedFun on topic Bobbers and Street fighters
So I do believe that those who do not posses the skills to do so are always not aware of their inabilities. They create the abortions you talk about. Then there are those who do posses the skills, but perhaps their taste is not what the general public fans of that bike/car model cater to.

Either way, it takes a lot of work to correct.

Cory

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

More
11 Jan 2016 14:46 #706350 by dom2570
Replied by dom2570 on topic Re:Bobbers and Street fighters
Ed, that bike always makes me feel sick. Right now, there is a kz400 that probably started off as a good stock bike, on my local Craigslist that suffered a similar fate. Kz400 - $3500
wichita.craigslist.org/mcy/5381104959.html

It gets reposted about every two days...not sure what the guy was smoking when he killed it, or what makes him believe it is a 3.5k bike...

Whip it like a mule!