Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

The good guys 26 Oct 2015 06:05 #695995

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248
I didn't have a choice. Before I wrecked the bike I was spending almost as much money in oil as I was gas. Move to Mesa, AZ and found a guy that does only motorcycle heads. Short Block Charlie's in Tempe, AZ. He was more than fair priced, educated me on the fact that the factory had poor seats on the exhaust from the factory. Secondly, he advised that the stock valves were more than fine to reuse and within spec to be tipped. At the time I didn't even know you could do that. Lastly he doesn't lap valves to get them to seat. He had a machine that cut nice pretty seats into the head and ground the valves to match. He stated that if that was all I did to the motor and put it back together I would notice a significant difference. He only charged $180. Everyone else wanted $300 plus and all they do is lap the valves. He is as you say "One of the Good Guys". The non-Harley website is here: www.pro1racingheads.com/?q=street-bike
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The good guys 26 Oct 2015 06:51 #696002

• SWest
  • SWest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
Thanks Jon. I'll save it and keep them in mind for the next time. I've got my eye on a 903 crank so it may be soon.
Steve

The good guys 26 Oct 2015 17:04 #696080

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Got my new Dyna 3 OHM coils. Mail lady left it at the back door of Bossie's shed. Safe there while I was in Grants Pass. 1500 miles round trip. In a car of course. They look brand new. No oil or nothing. I might switch my wires though. I like my hard wire HT cables. We'll see.

I adjusted my low speed screws last week with my color tune. I got it too lean so when I got back home I enriched them. Must have had some crap in the venturies because the miss around 2500 RPM is gone. I've been trying to get rid of it for years. :unsure: The adjustments are more responcive now. Now I can replace my 30 year old coils. :woohoo:
More to come. B)
Steve
Attachments:

The good guys 27 Oct 2015 06:56 #696124

• MTH76
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I bought a Valve Cover Gasket for my KZ900 from your Gasket Guy, the price was right but it showed up in my Mailbox
Folded in HALF in an envelope.
I contacted him and he sent me another one, FOLDED IN HALF again.
I returned both of them and swore to never buy from him again.
Just my experience with him.
1976 KZ900 1075 head ported,over-sized intake valves shim under bucket Z-4 cam motion cams 34mm RS carbs back cut trans GS1000 swing arm with 3.5" Sun rim MotoGPwerks stainless steel pipe

The good guys 27 Oct 2015 07:17 #696125

• jackleberry
  • User
  • Thank you received: 56

MTH76 wrote: I bought a Valve Cover Gasket for my KZ900 from your Gasket Guy, the price was right but it showed up in my Mailbox

Wait, the envelope was folded in half or the gasket was folded in half and fit into a smaller envelope?
1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

The good guys 27 Oct 2015 07:35 #696133

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
It happened to me too. It's your carrier. I'd complain to the PO. It's not his fault.
Steve

The good guys 27 Oct 2015 16:09 #696178

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationPut in my Dyna coils. Sounds crisper. I was hoping the old 3 OHM coils had a short or something but these are pulling the same power. I ordered A HID kit for my head light. It pulls a lot of power. It is HID on low beam but has a Halogen high beam.

I know I need a good Reg/Rect and will be ordering a Mosfit soon. Hopefully the cheap Reg/Rect I bought didn't ruin my new stater. I sent it back today as well as the CHINESE camera.
Steve

The good guys 27 Oct 2015 19:59 #696219

• kaw-a-holic
  • User

MTH76 wrote: I bought a Valve Cover Gasket for my KZ900 from your Gasket Guy, the price was right but it showed up in my Mailbox

I'm shocked. Did you tell him it was folded in half? I have had nothing but good experiences with him.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

The good guys 28 Oct 2015 04:51 #696247

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Civil employees. Almost impossible to get rid of if they have tenure. The stories I could tell. :whistle:
Steve

The good guys 28 Oct 2015 06:49 #696266

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I just got a e-mail from Stan the gasket supplier. He tells me if he stamps do not fold the PO will try to get additional charges from the recipient for special handling and Priority or express mail covers this type of situation. He sends out another one and if it happens again, it should be reported to the PO. I just ordered a pan gasket and another alternator gasket. The bent one I got, I saved and used a iron with it in the package, then used it. He is one of the few and I will keep using him. B)
Steve

The good guys 04 Nov 2015 05:28 #697164

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I have two more to add to this thread. Nessism for the oil cooler he sent me and kaw-a-holic for the Tach and Speedo he sent to me. Both went out of their way to make sure it was a good deal. Both are assets to this site and I would recommend them any time.
Thanks Guys.
Steve

The good guys 04 Nov 2015 17:15 #697282

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
:blush: Thanks Steve. If more people took the time to help others we would have a better world to live in. ;)
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project