MOVED: Hit and run accident in Chicago

More
26 Jun 2015 23:54 #678399 by Barry2
Replied by Barry2 on topic MOVED: Hit and run accident in Chicago
You need to return the guy's bumper and licence plate.......some night right thru the biggest window in his house. :laugh:

1976 KZ900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
27 Jun 2015 05:24 #678423 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic MOVED: Hit and run accident in Chicago
That's what I don't understand, hit and run is a Felony. He was probably DUI so why didn't they get him? Out here I deal with the SO, if it isn't their area, they will forward it on to the CHP. Local cops can be corrupt but when it comes down to them from a higher agency, they have no choice but to act on it.
Steve

More
07 Jul 2015 12:37 #679925 by krayneeum
Replied by krayneeum on topic MOVED: Hit and run accident in Chicago
Well... she's ALIVE!!

Bump started the bike and it runs! After a direct hit to the engine I would not have imagined it would still run, but these bikes were built like tanks!

My starter motor has died it seems like, when I hit the electric start button it sounded like it was slowly dying and now it just clicks a little underneath the starter cover and then dies. I have since kickstarted it and that works too, which is surprising cause it was always such a bitch to start by kicking. Took off the stator cover and everything looks fine in there.

I feel like it runs a bit.. differently now.. maybe a little more shakey.. very hard to describe and maybe I'm just imagining things. Overall just very happy!

Now all I have to do is replace my turn signals, tach, and brake lever, along a timing and sync and I'll be good to go! I will have to replace the starter motor it seems, or rebuild it? I found a guy on craigslist that has a new tank and gauge cluster for cheap, so I'll probably pick those up too!

As for the guy who hit me, still no justice! I'm sure my case is in a stack of papers on someone's desk though haha.

Thanks for the support!

-Stephen

More
08 Jul 2015 09:46 #680031 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic MOVED: Hit and run accident in Chicago
Could be the battery has some damage. I would try to get a voltage reading while cranking before tearing into the starter, or try to jump start it from a car battery (Not connected to a car, or at least with the car NOT running). If the battery has damage, and the charging system is trying to compensate, that might explain some of the strange feeling (but that is kind of a stretch).

Are you sure nothing happened to the alternator side? Or maybe the points got knocked?

More
09 Jul 2015 22:28 #680277 by krayneeum

loudhvx wrote: Could be the battery has some damage. I would try to get a voltage reading while cranking before tearing into the starter, or try to jump start it from a car battery (Not connected to a car, or at least with the car NOT running). If the battery has damage, and the charging system is trying to compensate, that might explain some of the strange feeling (but that is kind of a stretch).

Are you sure nothing happened to the alternator side? Or maybe the points got knocked?

Good thinking on the battery, I will have to check that out. I'll throw it on the trickle charger for a while just to make sure.

I opened it up on the alternator side just to see if anything wrong but it didn't look like it.

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
09 Jul 2015 23:19 - 09 Jul 2015 23:20 #680280 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic MOVED: Hit and run accident in Chicago
The battery is a good call, the only time ive been hit on a bike i got rear ended by a car going maybe 3 or 4 miles an hour and it cracked the battery. Also the battery acts as a capacitor so your bike wont run well without it even if you kickstart.
Last edit: 09 Jul 2015 23:20 by DoctoRot.

More
13 Jul 2015 09:56 #680698 by krayneeum

DoctoRot wrote: The battery is a good call, the only time ive been hit on a bike i got rear ended by a car going maybe 3 or 4 miles an hour and it cracked the battery. Also the battery acts as a capacitor so your bike wont run well without it even if you kickstart.

The battery was indeed a good call. Refilled the fluid and gave it a full charge and the bike starts up! (albeit not easily) Now I feel silly for even jumping to the conclusion that it was my starter :silly:

Now just a good timing, carb sync, and possibly replace my needle jets-- two of them are sticking, If I untighten the main jet they won't stick. Possibly bent needle jets? Or previously overtightened bleed pipe?

Also, bought a new gauge cluster and tank for cheap on Craigslist, the tank doesn't fit however, looks like it's from a kz750 or something. Maybe I'll post a pic, I'm sure someone here could identify it haha.

-Stephen