MOVED: Hit and run accident in Chicago

More
25 Jun 2015 15:33 #678266 by krayneeum
Replied by krayneeum on topic MOVED: Hit and run accident in Chicago

loudhvx wrote: He lives a few blocks away and the cops can't even go knock on the guy's door? WTF.
I'm in Humboldt (next neighborhood over for those not in Chicago), and have been in the Logan/Bucktown/Humboldt area for 25 years... but it's time to get out. Too insane. Austin district is now the murder capital of Chicago, or at least it was a few months ago.

If you get another bike and need help getting it up and running, let me know.

Thanks man! Scoping out craigslist for new bikes already. Once I get my check I'm going shopping haha. I'm in Noble Square, pleasure to meet another KZ owner in Chicago!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2015 15:35 #678267 by krayneeum

jeff80kz1000e2 wrote:

swest wrote: 72 hours or forget it. They have to prove he was driving. $1500 damage? Not worth their time. :angry:
Steve

You called it Steve. I just figured since it could have easily been worse for our fellow rider I would see about helping him out.

The cop friend said there are separate task forces who deal with these, lol. Had it been in his district he may have been able to get someone to put this at the top of the pile, but like you said, prove who was driving. Seems like such bs, but what can you do.......

One thing the cop said was look around for eyes in the sky ( video camera's ) nearby that could have caight the A Hole driving said vehicle and if so, ask whoever you can to see footage of those cameras. Jeff

Personally its a principle thing here regardless of property damage and its worth looking for a camera or two to try to bring some justice to the schmuck driver......

Ah, well thanks for trying man! I'll have to double check but I'm fairly certain there are no cameras at the main intersection I saw him go through. Worth a look though for sure.

Much appreciated!

More
25 Jun 2015 16:04 #678271 by krayneeum
Pics! imgur.com/a/CyFH1#0

Cosmetically, it's honestly not too bad. Mostly minor stuff. But the engine is pretty well seized. Tried to kick it and it was very stiff, but moved a little. The full force of the impact was right on the edge of the engine. Probably knocked the cylinder/piston out of alignment or something?? Would probably need a full rebuild I imagine.

The question is.. is it worth $340 to keep?

Still several sellable parts I could maybe turn a profit -- or -- maybe a potential project? My friend has a KZ750 shaft engine.. :whistle:

More
25 Jun 2015 16:07 #678272 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic MOVED: Hit and run accident in Chicago
Seems like everytime I go to chicago traffic seems to be worse than the last time I was out there.

Glad you're alright, all things considered that pic doesn't make the bike look too bad; might be somewhat salvagable.

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
25 Jun 2015 16:22 #678274 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic MOVED: Hit and run accident in Chicago
Bossie was DOA. Broken clutch cover, ignition housing frame tweaked, swing arm folded, busted speedo, etc. When I got to the salvage yard, someone had started to take the carbs. :angry: Bastards. I was in a leg and arm cast, they didn't expect me, paid $300, took it home. Two years later, we were back on the road. From then on, the bike is a legend. :woohoo:
I'd fix it.
Steve

More
25 Jun 2015 18:14 #678281 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic MOVED: Hit and run accident in Chicago
Hell yes pay the money and keep it

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

More
26 Jun 2015 08:03 #678324 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic MOVED: Hit and run accident in Chicago
Glad you are Alright.

When I hit the truck that pulled out in front of me my engine was damaged also. I pulled the head and jugs off for replacement. The jugs were bored to 1075 so I pulled the cylinder out of the jugs and installed them in another set. I checked the rods out and have run this engine a lot since then.

Just check everything out.

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
26 Jun 2015 11:28 #678342 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic MOVED: Hit and run accident in Chicago
You sure the stator cover didn't get hit? that would bind up the motor. The head took the brunt of it, so the cams may be what's binding. I have a couple heads for 650's. If you repair this engine and need one let me know.

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
26 Jun 2015 11:30 #678343 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic MOVED: Hit and run accident in Chicago
Glad you are OK. That is infuriating about the police though. We have a similar problem with theft in Seattle right now. The cops will do nothing unless the person is in the act. Because of the lack of punishment there has been a brash of break-ins. What the hell do we pay their salary for? Oh yeah, to cite people for traffic violations that bring in money to the city... Sigh. If you have the time and means i would buy the bike back. Looks like the chrome is pretty good, and perhaps many parts are salvageable. If you end up using that frame, check it for straightness.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
26 Jun 2015 13:02 #678353 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic MOVED: Hit and run accident in Chicago
It all goes down to the lack of community involvement and only 17% of registered voters that actually vote. Of course they will get what they want at the expense of the others. They want their entitlements but they don't want to pay for say prisons. There's no where to put the criminals so they're on the streets and on and on, atnauseum. :sick: Cops are the tools of the system that employs them. I've been involved in LE for the last 19 years. Felons get caught and are out on the streets before the ink dries on the report. :angry:
Steve

More
26 Jun 2015 17:14 - 26 Jun 2015 17:26 #678372 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic MOVED: Hit and run accident in Chicago
This might be exactly what you need.
chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mpo/5085338112.html

It's listed as a 79, but it's clearly a 77. The difference is in the alternator/regulator/rectifier. You can see the three screw holes on the alternator cover in the shape of a triangle. Your 77 should have this too, if it's truly a 77.

May need the starter clutch replaced, but since the engine is already out, the job won't be too bad. I would try to talk him down based on the year and if you don't need the carbs, especially since you can't start the motor, and you can't even test the compression.

10 years ago, I wouldn't pay more than about $50 without a guarantee that it is in good condition. Without it, you are taking a lot of risk that it may be a boat anchor.

Kedzie and 63rd (Marquette park?) is kind of a war zone, so I wouldn't be happy about going out there.
Last edit: 26 Jun 2015 17:26 by loudhvx.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
26 Jun 2015 19:18 #678378 by SWest