MOVED: Hit and run accident in Chicago

More
25 Jun 2015 12:50 #678234 by krayneeum
MOVED: Hit and run accident in Chicago was created by krayneeum
Moved from Engine section:

Was on my way to my buddy's place to work on the KZ when... I was hit! I went flying through the air, and am totally okay all things considered. The KZ on the other hand, is not doing so well. Took a direct hit to the engine. Besides obvious cosmetic damage, it wouldn't start and was making some terrible noises when I tried to crank it. The guy drove off but luckily his front bumper fell off! My engine fins are imprinted on his license plate-- pretty crazy.

Made it into the paper, check it out: chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/71/707945/mo...lps-nap-motorist-hit

UPDATE: Spoke with insurance and the bike is deemed a total loss, valued at $1500. Minus my deductible that's $1250 (until they recover that deductible from the driver). I can keep the bike for $340, however. Not sure if it's worth it, the engine is pretty seized. The kickstarter moves it but with LOTS of resistance.

I'm contemplating making a it cafe project but the engine seems like it needs a lot of work -- or -- just parting it out, the carbs, stock exhaust, forks, wheels, and body panels are still okay. What do you guys think I should do? Is it worth keeping for $340?

-Stephen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
More
25 Jun 2015 13:18 - 25 Jun 2015 13:33 #678238 by jeff80kz1000e2
Replied by jeff80kz1000e2 on topic MOVED: Hit and run accident in Chicago
Right on bro, so I think it's safe to say what goes around came right back around when that JAG almost killed you but left his license plate behind. What an +++hole. I understand accidents happen but a hit and run? No tolerance for that.....fron the pic in the sun crimes you look like you were in pretty good spirits about it. Hope everything works out well for you. I live in the burbs of Chicagoland but I have lived in Chicago and know the area where you were hit.
Hope it all works out with insurance and that schmuck loses his license for a bit after the hit and run stunt. Jeff
Last edit: 25 Jun 2015 13:33 by jeff80kz1000e2.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
25 Jun 2015 13:21 #678240 by SWest

More
25 Jun 2015 13:23 #678241 by jeff80kz1000e2
Sounds like they caught him from the article

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
25 Jun 2015 13:27 #678243 by SWest

More
25 Jun 2015 13:31 #678246 by krayneeum
Replied by krayneeum on topic MOVED: Hit and run accident in Chicago
I'll throw some pictures up shortly!

No, they did NOT catch him. The article makes it sound like they did, but when I asked if they were going to his house and investigate, the officer basically shrugged his shoulders. CPD leaves much to be desired. We'll see what happens though.

More
25 Jun 2015 13:40 - 25 Jun 2015 13:44 #678249 by jeff80kz1000e2

krayneeum wrote: I'll throw some pictures up shortly!

No, they did NOT catch him. The article makes it sound like they did, but when I asked if they were going to his house and investigate, the officer basically shrugged his shoulders. CPD leaves much to be desired. We'll see what happens though.

Sucks they didn't catch him. I was hit in my pick up truck and the car took off on me at north and clybourne a long time ago and I DID get a plate. Cop was nice enough to play detective and make a few phone calls linked to the plate registration. No answers and out of luck for me too. The cop did tell me that a hit and run record would show up if the car was ever pulled over again and then most likely the person would be arrested or something.

Glad your ok
Last edit: 25 Jun 2015 13:44 by jeff80kz1000e2.

More
25 Jun 2015 14:00 #678251 by jeff80kz1000e2
( light bulb comes on ).......I have a friend whose good friend is a long time Chicago Cop and I asked him to see if there is anything he can do to help you get the guy who hit you to be ticketed or arrested seeong as you have the license plate / evidence and a Police report. He is also a biker and would like to see this story end better if possible. Give you an update and maybe PM after I get an answer.

More
25 Jun 2015 14:42 #678255 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic MOVED: Hit and run accident in Chicago
He lives a few blocks away and the cops can't even go knock on the guy's door? WTF.
I'm in Humboldt (next neighborhood over for those not in Chicago), and have been in the Logan/Bucktown/Humboldt area for 25 years... but it's time to get out. Too insane. Austin district is now the murder capital of Chicago, or at least it was a few months ago.

If you get another bike and need help getting it up and running, let me know.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
25 Jun 2015 14:44 #678256 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic MOVED: Hit and run accident in Chicago
72 hours or forget it. They have to prove he was driving. $1500 damage? Not worth their time. :angry:
Steve

More
25 Jun 2015 15:24 - 25 Jun 2015 15:29 #678262 by jeff80kz1000e2

swest wrote: 72 hours or forget it. They have to prove he was driving. $1500 damage? Not worth their time. :angry:
Steve

You called it Steve. I just figured since it could have easily been worse for our fellow rider I would see about helping him out.

The cop friend said there are separate task forces who deal with these, lol. Had it been in his district he may have been able to get someone to put this at the top of the pile, but like you said, prove who was driving. Seems like such bs, but what can you do.......

One thing the cop said was look around for eyes in the sky ( video camera's ) nearby that could have caight the A Hole driving said vehicle and if so, ask whoever you can to see footage of those cameras. Jeff

Personally its a principle thing here regardless of property damage and its worth looking for a camera or two to try to bring some justice to the schmuck driver......
Last edit: 25 Jun 2015 15:29 by jeff80kz1000e2.