LOUD 4into 1

• need to know
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Aug 2013 23:57 #604052 by need to know
LOUD 4into 1 was created by need to know
Hello, I have the original stock Kerker 4 into 1 exhaust on a 1980 KZ 1000 LTD B4. With or without the baffle it is deafening - it is so loud while riding, it hurts the ears even with earplugs and a full face helmet ??? Never had that happen with any other bikes with 4 into 1. WHATS GOING ON ???
Is it possible that the engine has been bored out to the max ? and this is just overpowering any silencing the pipes could provide ? Any ideas ? They could not have sold it from the factory like that. The sound is just coming right up into the ears, even when sitting and leaning forward.... Thanks !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2013 00:00 #604055 by BubbaZ1982
Replied by BubbaZ1982 on topic LOUD 4into 1
I made a set of stainless straight through cans for my 750 LTD, and I thought it loud at first, but now I think it's kinda tame...Mine is a 4 into 2 and my cans aren't that much bigger a diameter than the pipes...
The following user(s) said Thank You: need to know

More
31 Aug 2013 01:07 #604074 by MDawnz1
Replied by MDawnz1 on topic LOUD 4into 1
Just pull the baffle out and repack it for a start.
Also,
There are at least 3 different size baffles.
If you have a full size comp one all you can do is keep it packed while you order a street or mid.

1974 Z1a, still 903

More
31 Aug 2013 02:03 #604095 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic LOUD 4into 1

need to know wrote: Hello, I have the original stock Kerker 4 into 1 exhaust on a 1980 KZ 1000 LTD B4. With or without the baffle it is deafening - it is so loud while riding, it hurts the ears even with earplugs and a full face helmet ??? Never had that happen with any other bikes with 4 into 1. WHATS GOING ON ???

They used to make a competition only baffle that would break windows. maybe that's what you have, or some knot head may have drilled the baffle so it's straight through.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
31 Aug 2013 12:27 #604134 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic LOUD 4into 1
loud pipes save lives.... B)

I use my pipe like a horn, If I see a prob ahead or around me I goose the throttle and they hear me and I get there attention.

I run my kerker wide open and love it loud, really not loud enough for me.

The bike really runs better from 8000 to 11,500 without baffle. I run it wide open in the city and the cops never bother me. I had a cop ask me to pullover so he could look at the bike.

I asked him about loudness of pipe and he said its not the loudness of the pipe its the riders looks (if you look like a crack head, punk or trouble maker) you will get the extra attention.

Also if you are being dangerous for the traffic conditions. He said its really not louder than a Harley open pipe. Who knew...... :laugh:

More
31 Aug 2013 15:08 - 31 Aug 2013 15:09 #604150 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic LOUD 4into 1
I use to have my Kerker with a medium competition baffle on my first Z1. Anytime I hit the country roads for about a two hour round trip, my ears use to hurt after an hour into the trip. That's with a full face and I think I started using ear plugs. My current KZ has the Kerker with the standard street baffle. I have no issues on long trips. Do as suggested, purchase a street baffle and don't remove the packing.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450
Last edit: 31 Aug 2013 15:09 by KZJOE900.

More
01 Sep 2013 04:58 #604258 by bountyhunter

4TheKZ1000 wrote: loud pipes save lives.... B)

I use my pipe like a horn, If I see a prob ahead or around me I goose the throttle and they hear me and I get there attention.

Wow, never seen a bike with the exhaust pipe pointed forward..... or do you ride backwards? :ohmy:

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
01 Sep 2013 08:40 - 01 Sep 2013 08:44 #604269 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic LOUD 4into 1
IMHO, loud pipes are about as helpful as this sign. :lol:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Sep 2013 08:44 by Patton.

More
01 Sep 2013 09:36 #604276 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic LOUD 4into 1
Loud pipes do help save lives. But it doesnt stop bikes from being in accidents. I personally like my kerker with no baffle. I got a baffle for it. But its funny watching people jump and look when i start my bike, little kids holding there ears, windows shaking as i fly by lol.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
01 Sep 2013 10:46 #604289 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic LOUD 4into 1

bountyhunter wrote:

4TheKZ1000 wrote: loud pipes save lives.... B)

Wow, never seen a bike with the exhaust pipe pointed forward..... or do you ride backwards? :ohmy:

When my wife sits on our front porch, she claims she can hear my Kerker a 1/2 mile or more from the house. Go out a half mile and beep your horn. Just a poor comment that you cant hear the exhaust unless its pointed forward.....are you for real??????

More
01 Sep 2013 20:21 - 01 Sep 2013 20:44 #604347 by bountyhunter

4TheKZ1000 wrote:
When my wife sits on our front porch, she claims she can hear my Kerker a 1/2 mile or more from the house. Go out a half mile and beep your horn. Just a poor comment that you cant hear the exhaust unless its pointed forward.....are you for real??????

Let's see,,, rode for 50 years, three engineering degrees, designed audio systems and speakers.

Yes, I would say I am for real and here is why your comparison is meaningless:

Sure, I can hear a Harley with a straight pipe winding it up over on the expressway. Know why? Because the ambient noise standing in my front yard is probably about 55 dBa.

Inside a car, it's probably more like 75 dBa, plus the windows are closed, radio playing, plus you have wind noise past the glass, plus..... and here is the big one bike riders always forget:

A DRIVER'S ATTENTION IS FOCUSED FORWARD. Why? Well, it has to do with not wanting to run into traffic in front of them.

FYI: the CHP used the anechoic chambers at Sac State University to run projection plots.... what that means is the sound pattern they project. It shoots straight to the front. Why? Because they want traffic to hear them coming. A siren is designed specifically to shoot the sound forward. An exhaust pipe is specifically designed to shoot everything to the rear.

EDIT TO ADD: ask anybody who drives an emergency vehicle for a living: even with 140 dBA siren shooting straight forward, it is amazing how often cars can not hear the sound until it is upon them.

So, to summarize:

yes, your straight pipe is loud. People standing outside will hear it. Yes, it will rattle windows in houses you ride by. It will damage the hearing of other bikers you go by on the road. It will scare the piss out of cars you shoot by as they hear the blast from the back of the pipe when you go by. It will do all those things, the thing it won't do is act like a siren and send sound into the front of your path. And, no, it won't save your life.

and yes, I am for real.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 01 Sep 2013 20:44 by bountyhunter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtbspeedfreak, elfmagic17, floivanus

More
01 Sep 2013 20:28 #604349 by bountyhunter

Powerstroke_fan wrote: Loud pipes do help save lives. But it doesnt stop bikes from being in accidents. I personally like my kerker with no baffle. I got a baffle for it. But its funny watching people jump and look when i start my bike, little kids holding there ears, windows shaking as i fly by lol.

I guess we have a different sense of humor.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
The following user(s) said Thank You: floivanus