LOUD 4into 1

More
02 Sep 2013 00:14 #604374 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic LOUD 4into 1
I guess we do. You can take your little quiet pipes and keep riding them. Ill keep my kerker. Ya it dont stop accidents but it does help prevent them. I know for a fact that people can hear you in front of you. It wont be as loud as if its behind you but you can still hear it.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
02 Sep 2013 01:26 #604380 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic LOUD 4into 1

4TheKZ1000 wrote: loud pipes save lives.... B)

I use my pipe like a horn, If I see a prob ahead or around me I goose the throttle and they hear me and I get there attention.

I run my kerker wide open and love it loud, really not loud enough for me.

The bike really runs better from 8000 to 11,500 without baffle. I run it wide open in the city and the cops never bother me. I had a cop ask me to pullover so he could look at the bike.

I asked him about loudness of pipe and he said its not the loudness of the pipe its the riders looks (if you look like a crack head, punk or trouble maker) you will get the extra attention.

Also if you are being dangerous for the traffic conditions. He said its really not louder than a Harley open pipe. Who knew...... :laugh:

Loud pipes are a JOKE! Unfortunately, the joke is on all of us. You'd do a lot better to take a safe riding class and learn the correct method to command presence and attention while out there on the road.

Bill

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
02 Sep 2013 03:01 #604399 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic LOUD 4into 1

KZCSI wrote:

I use my pipe like a horn, If I see a prob ahead or around me I goose the throttle and they hear me and I get there attention.

The bike really runs better from 8000 to 11,500 without baffle. I run it wide open in the city and the cops never bother me. I had a cop ask me to pullover so he could look at the bike.

I asked him about loudness of pipe and he said its not the loudness of the pipe its the riders looks (if you look like a crack head, punk or trouble maker) you will get the extra attention.

Also if you are being dangerous for the traffic conditions. He said its really not louder than a Harley open pipe. Who knew...... :laugh:

Loud pipes are a JOKE! Unfortunately, the joke is on all of us. You'd do a lot better to take a safe riding class and learn the correct method to command presence and attention while out there on the road.

Bill

In the 2 times that I "interacted" with a car in my 40 years of riding, I learned that a 500 pound motorcycle doesn't command anything when getting hit by a 4000 pound car. :blink:

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
02 Sep 2013 03:04 - 02 Sep 2013 03:13 #604400 by bountyhunter

Powerstroke_fan wrote: I guess we do. You can take your little quiet pipes and keep riding them. Ill keep my kerker. Ya it dont stop accidents but it does help prevent them. I know for a fact that people can hear you in front of you. It wont be as loud as if its behind you but you can still hear it.

Right. That's why when I saw the two Harleys flying up between lanes on the freeway (in dead silence approaching me from behind), I said to my wife:

"PLUG YOUR EARS!"

people in cars don't hear approaching bikes. period. In many cases, they don't even hear approaching sirens until they run up on them. cars are DESIGNED to block sound from the outside, they even brag about it.

IMHO, riders who think that everybody hears them coming can end up a donor.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 02 Sep 2013 03:13 by bountyhunter.

More
02 Sep 2013 03:18 - 02 Sep 2013 03:19 #604404 by Hollywoodmx
Replied by Hollywoodmx on topic LOUD 4into 1
Some people like it loud, some don't, some like it somewhere in the middle. I hear loud bikes all the time with the harley's being the worst. What ever though, life goes on. It's a forum and you don't know these people in RL so who cares.

All I got to say if it's loud it better sound good! :lol: :evil:

- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary
Last edit: 02 Sep 2013 03:19 by Hollywoodmx.

More
02 Sep 2013 03:21 #604405 by bountyhunter

Loud Pipes Do What?

Ignoring the fact that many aftermarket pipes are illegal, motorcyclists who defer to the wisdom, "loud pipes save lives" are sadly misinformed. Riders who believe that an ear-shattering exhaust note actually increases safety are either kidding themselves or rationalizing self-indulgent behavior. Fact is, loud pipes do more to hurt motorcyclists than help them.

It's rooted in physics. Unlike an earthquake, which emits waves in a sphere away from its epicenter, sound waves can be directed. (A good example of this a megaphone: if sound waves were not directionally sensitive, megaphone users would all be deaf.) The pressure wave emitted from an exhaust pipe is pointed away from and behind the motorcycle. To hear it from anywhere other than directly behind the bike, you rely on the resonance of the pipes and reflection of the sound waves off of other objects, like cars, signs, buildings, etc.

In other words, the only time the loud pipes draw attention to a motorcycle in traffic is when the bike is facing away from the motorist. In most cases, facing away from the motorist means riding away from the motorist: increasing the separation of bike and potential hazard. The only possible situation in which a car can to pose an external threat to a motorcyclist when the bike is facing away from the car is if the motorist is backing up or (following) behind the rider. The threat exists, but only marginally: the Hurt Study found that a whopping three percent of accident hazards come directly from the rear (or the "six o'clock" direction).

Conversely, Hurt found that 77% of all accident hazards approach the motorcycle from in front of the rider (specifically, the eleven to one o'clock range). To have any chance of alerting those motorists to the presence of a motorcycle with exhaust noise would require that the tailpipe be pointed forward. The chances of rearward-facing straight pipes making a bike more obvious are very slim. The reality of the loud pipe is that all you'll succeed in doing is irritating all the people behind and beside you who don't pose much of a threat anyway.

www.lowertheboom.org/links/v02_loud_pipes.html

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
02 Sep 2013 03:37 #604410 by bountyhunter

Loud pipes save lives

This myth is originated in the very biking world and is has a lot of supporters among both riders and custom aftermarket exhaust pipes manufacturers. Basically, those who claim that loud pipes save lives assume that the louder the noise a motorcycle makes on the road, the more chances they have of being noticed by other road-colleagues and thus less likely the occurrence of an accident.

The truth behind such a claim disproves this myth on so many levels: simple, common physics, common sense or plain reason can bring in countless reasons because this is just a myth. Let's tread the path of physics a bit and analyze what's happening from a strictly mechanical point of view.

Motorcycle exhausts openings are facing towards the rear of the bike, and it's obviously to the back where the gases and all the noise are directed. Assuming that the noise a motorcycle makes travels in an omnidirectional manner is just wrong, because noise is air (or other gases, for what's worth) in movement. With the air/ gas jest directed towards the rear of the bike, it's there where all the noise goes. And if you don't believe this, just 'start your engine in the open and then check the noise levels when facing the bike and behind it, alternatively.

When riding at higher speeds, things are even worse, because you're not only remaining close to the place where all the exhaust gases start to make noise hitting the mass of air, but you're traveling further from that zone as you advance on the road.

www.autoevolution.com/news/most-common-m...ed-part-1-45969.html

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
02 Sep 2013 03:40 #604411 by bountyhunter

Do loud pipes save lives?

The answer is a firm NO. In some instances a car driver may indeed notice you, such as when you're riding next to a car which has the driver's side window down. Situations like this one are extremely rare. Most dangers to motorcyclists come from the front, where your loud exhaust can't be heard; the sound waves from the exhaust pipe(s) propagate backward. The driver of that car about to make a left turn in front of you (by far the largest cause of motorcycling deaths) simply will not hear you. Think about it: picture yourself in a car, with the windows up, the A/C (or heat) on, and the radio at a comfortable level. Just how much outside noise do you think YOU hear? Especially the noise traveling away from you, where only the few sound waves that bounce back are even capable of being heard in the first place...
How loud exhaust can actually be dangerous to you

Noise fatigue and hearing damage.

Research has shown that the biggest cause of fatigue on long rides is noise. Noise from your own bike will tire you out faster, dulling your senses and thus increasing the risk of an accident - precisely the thing that you were trying to avoid in the first place.

Also think about your hearing. It doesn't become better as you age, and you will be the closest person to those drag pipes...

Irritated cagers

Have you ever thought about how annoying the loud pipes are to the car drivers around you? Especially to the ones who have to follow you for miles in dense traffic? While it has never been proven, it is possible that noise from your motorcycle makes car drivers irritated, angry, more aggressive, and thus more dangerous to you.

faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Loud_pipes_save_lives_-_is_that_true%3F

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
02 Sep 2013 03:48 #604412 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic LOUD 4into 1
Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of a proper motorcycle. I do not like, rather, I hate excessive loudness from assholes with pipes they wish were as big as their johnsons.

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZQ, need to know

More
02 Sep 2013 09:30 #604425 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic LOUD 4into 1

KZCSI wrote:

Bill

I think bountyhunter took me wrong. A class is a great idea. People that are new to riding should take them.Ive been riding for quite a few years. Iam sure not as long as some tho. but Ive had people tell me they hear me in there cars.You know after all it is summer, not everyone has there windows up with the ac on and the radio blairing lol. ya its probably harder to hear while in a vehicle, but not impossible. If so we must have super humans around here lol. But You wont see me flying in between lanes acting like a punk. I do like to open it up some, but i always try to find safer places to do it. I ussally putt around with the wife on there. She dont like to go over 60 or shes complaining lol. Plus i dont wanna die, so i try to ride with common sense. But as far as the little kids plugging there ears and people jumping when it fires up. I think its funny. Most of the little kids around here are punks and there parents are fucks. But the kids like it. most of them stare and point and holler "nice bike". They like the sound.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now
The following user(s) said Thank You: need to know

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
02 Sep 2013 12:42 - 02 Sep 2013 12:44 #604450 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic LOUD 4into 1
wow some are wound tight on here. I was making a general statement not speaking for all or this is the only way to go.

Now I need a riding or driving class?

I have road bikes for 43 years and have won over 175 trophy's in six states....47 of them first place.....racing in sanctioned 125 and 250 dirt bike racing. I have raced a 7 second 1/4 mile drag bike, went over 130 mph on a quad and been written up in several magazine and newspapers.

I have the miles in the seat and understand riding bikes. I don't feel I'm better than anyone else, know more or am a better rider.....just my 2 cents on pipes..... :huh:
Last edit: 02 Sep 2013 12:44 by 4TheKZ1000.

More
02 Sep 2013 13:23 - 02 Sep 2013 13:27 #604455 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic LOUD 4into 1
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Opinions, here, naw...... :whistle:

Back to subject matter....
I have the 1.5" baffle in my Kerker and for the most part (idle, low rpm etc...) not overly loud at all.... Sure you can hear her purr but by no means obnoxious...

On the freeway and you twist her, sure she'll sing but not to the point you wouldn't be able to hear a passenger threw open face shields...

2" or open baffle, well hell good luck for that would be extremely loud... The 2" is for RACING.... No baffle would be hellish indeed....

The shipped baffle is what, 1/2" - 5/8" or something like that, fairly mild tone at idle / low rpms.

Now throw into the equation, are you running higher compression pistons, performance cams, ported head, larger carbs etc.... Yeah she'll sing :woohoo: all right w/open baffle...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 02 Sep 2013 13:27 by Old Man Rock.
The following user(s) said Thank You: need to know