How do you do a burnout / wheelie?

More
08 Dec 2009 06:58 #338062 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic How do you do a burnout / wheelie?
drive it into a big snow bank,the rings will figure it out! :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2009 14:35 #338125 by kbmotocross505
Replied by kbmotocross505 on topic How do you do a burnout / wheelie?
Burnout: put the bike in 1st gear, hold the front brake firmly, put all your weight up at the front, open the throttle while letting the clutch out, make sure the front brake is still locked. the rear tire should spin depending on the ground condition, and how much power you give out.

Wheelie. i can't explain well, but it happens every time when i ride my '76 KZ900 Turbo back in the day, just sat on the seat, and goosed the throttle at 4,000 RPM. then the front tire went up. easy, hard to control at speeds like that. it was real scary at one time when i got it back the first day from the race shop, i went on the highway and wanted to see how much the power and turbo improved from stock form...bad idea. i was in slow rpm's going to 4th gear, then i cracked the throttle like the police were on me. the KZ did a massive wheelie and my ass started to slide off the seat going about 130mph if i remember..zooming past cars on one wheel *shakes head* i could have been killed. :ohmy:

More
08 Dec 2009 15:28 #338130 by Martynbiker
Replied by Martynbiker on topic How do you do a burnout / wheelie?
Wheelies on a KZ = Stupidity and an accident waiting to happen

Burnouts on a KZ = Gross mechanical negligence and a BIG bill waiting to happen.

OP just buy a dirtbike and do that stuff off road. it will be kinder to your wallet and maybe your skin in the long run.

If you cant fix it with a Hammer....... it's gotta be an Electrical problem...

More
08 Dec 2009 16:09 #338134 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic How do you do a burnout / wheelie?
done thousands of burnouts on my kz's and z1's never hurt anything yet. yes that number is right since i have drag raced since 1993. the only thing they hurt is your wallet from the tire bill. and to this day they are probably the most fun i have on any bike i own. i usally count my seasons in tires not miles.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
08 Dec 2009 16:27 #338137 by Martynbiker
timebomb33 wrote:

done thousands of burnouts on my kz's and z1's never hurt anything yet. yes that number is right since i have drag raced since 1993. the only thing they hurt is your wallet from the tire bill. and to this day they are probably the most fun i have on any bike i own. i usally count my seasons in tires not miles.

Dude, you obviously know what you are doing, as would I or many others on this forum. The OP obviously has not a clue... so I feel in the long run the advice to use a dirtbike is valid. A KZ1000 at 7,-8,0000rpm in 1st gear would not be a pretty sight if the tire hooked up and flung him off...... unless he has a friend with video so we can all laugh, er, i mean send our condolences like....:laugh:

More
08 Dec 2009 18:41 #338144 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic How do you do a burnout / wheelie?
Martynbiker wrote:

timebomb33 wrote:

Dude, you obviously know what you are doing, as would I or many others on this forum. The OP obviously has not a clue... so I feel in the long run the advice to use a dirtbike is valid. A KZ1000 at 7,-8,0000rpm in 1st gear would not be a pretty sight if the tire hooked up and flung him off...... unless he has a friend with video so we can all laugh, er, i mean send our condolences like....:laugh:

where were you 30 years ago when i couldve really used that piece of advice? :woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
10 Dec 2009 20:49 #338471 by Martynbiker
PLUMMEN wrote:

where were you 30 years ago when i couldve really used that piece of advice? :woohoo:[/quote]

I was hookin up a tire on a RD350 and pulling the longest uncontrolled wheelie of my life.....and wrecking my best friends bike as well......:laugh:

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
11 Dec 2009 06:37 - 11 Dec 2009 06:39 #338486 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic How do you do a burnout / wheelie?
Martynbiker wrote:

PLUMMEN wrote:

where were you 30 years ago when i couldve really used that piece of advice? :woohoo:

I was hookin up a tire on a RD350 and pulling the longest uncontrolled wheelie of my life.....and wrecking my best friends bike as well......:laugh:

Now thats funny there, being a RD350 rider myself I can see it in my head. Plus the RD350 was and is a wheelie monster unless you stretch the swingarm like I did

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Dec 2009 06:39 by Kawickrice.

More
11 Dec 2009 12:44 #338533 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic How do you do a burnout / wheelie?
I'm hot trying to be a dick here, but in all honesty if you have to ask, you shouldn't be doing burnouts, and you DEFINITELY shouldn't be doing wheelies on a big bike.

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada

More
23 Dec 2009 22:30 - 23 Dec 2009 22:37 #340480 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic How do you do a burnout / wheelie?
likes2gofast2009 wrote:

I agree with the rolling burnout first, make sure you're heading straight and are well balanced otherwise the rear of the bike will swing to one side.

My first wheelie I was rolling in 1st gear around 3500-4000rpm and just opened the throttle wide open while shifting my weight backward, just make sure you can control the throttle and have your foot ready on the rear brake incase you go up an too much of an angle, this will help you from flipping the bike or dragging the rear fender.

Be careful and if you hadn't been riding long I don't suggest trying this, or go out in the dirt and practice on a dirt bike, its way easier (and less painful haha) to learn that way.

I would not get into the habit of leaning back, that is no no no. That will get u over and gone in a quick hurry. Best and only way to learn wheelies is to have a sensitive back brake and have it adjusted to clamp instantley. And never even START a wheelie unless your foot is in place FIRST AND ALWAYS. Then comes the part where you CANT forget to hit that break if u start going back ward. If you follow this advice you'll never flip it over if the brake is applied. It will stop u every time on time. No matter how far you go over. Cover the brake, roll on the power smoothly then twist the throttle to start bringing the front end up. Remember, the smoother u are on the throttle the less youll have to use that brake. If your jerky and nervous and clumsy youll be on that brake all the time. KNOCK it off!. Settle down youve got a safety, your ok. Once you know you have control you'll relax to the point where you can feel what's happening as it goes. You'll find sliding back a little is going to make the effort easier. Once your up if you find it hard to stay high without feeling like your going to go over and it feels unstable, your sitting back too far. I cannot stress enough your body position it's going to make or break the perfectness and comfort of the wheelie. I find a kz900 to be very friendly up on a wheelie, not wanting to go over and will ride high very comfortable. So you got it made. Make sure your foot Stays over the brake when up. Otherwise make a backstop for the heel of your beach sandle:ohmy: Once your getting up smooth and easy shift into second gear and use the damn clutch, It's much smoother than without and you don't have to back the throttle off to avoid going over. You can do it either way but youll have plenty of time to shift. Next thing is clutching it up from higher speed and gears. This depends on gearing and power and then need to slide back on the seat some and pull. Just never ever start without covering the brake and part two, "USING IT". I always have one or two fingers on the clutch at all times and one foot on the brake. The faster your going when you gas it or clutch it up the smoother it will come up and easier it will balance. That's when you'll be glad for the back brake since your faster. It's all about the level of comfort you acheive. From there you can learn, and learn. Slow is good. Once mind and muscle memory are built in you'll be able to punch it up so fast and furious you won't believe it yourself, and how easy and safe it felt and was. The best thing you can do is picture and imagine in your mind exactely what you want to do and how, right before you do it and make it happen. Just cover the brake, watch for cops, make sure gas cap is closed and doesn't leak. :dry:
Last edit: 23 Dec 2009 22:37 by nads.com.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
24 Dec 2009 06:21 #340512 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic How do you do a burnout / wheelie?
Be careful doing wheelies

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL
Attachments: