How do you do a burnout / wheelie?

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
21 Nov 2009 07:27 #334996 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic How do you do a burnout / wheelie?
If you want to wheelie on the pavement the Yamaha RD350 and RD400 two strokes are wheelie monsters. They will walk the dog even when you don't want them to. As for the burnouts they will destroy parts but hey sometimes it costs money to have fun. Once you get the timing with the throttle and clutch you will be of and running weather it be wheelies or burnouts. Once again be careful because the fun stops when the pain starts.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2009 15:06 #335088 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic How do you do a burnout / wheelie?
Well hell, this looks like fun don't it! :blink:

Or this burn.. Hey, where'd you go?

And this classic but hey... he looks good in his leathers right....

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
21 Nov 2009 15:23 #335094 by Old Man Rock
Well ya getting there but I also respect the power & beauty of these magnificent old KZ's...

Learn this on a dirt bike, you bet but I'll wager right here and now, he tries his first attempt at burn outs or more specifically wheelies on his KZ... The results will end with like these knuckle heads in the avi clips....

Again, not making fun of his riding skills but if he had to ask, this is not the bike to learn this off of... Just FUBAR in the making...

Now Craig, when was the last time you rode a wheelie on your KZ?

Or should I ask when was the last time you sharted in your riding pants.... :woohoo:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az

More
21 Nov 2009 15:52 #335100 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic How do you do a burnout / wheelie?
OK I'm in.
How to learn to wheelie or burnout 101

1) Find a series of signs like this one

2) Follow them until you end up in front of a big building.

3) As long as you see this building you may practice these stup...er..tricks.

4) Caution you may still experience premature animation termination that even the wonderful machines and knowledgeable lifeforms in this big building will be unable to reverse. Or you may only become unrecognizable to those who have known you for your years on this planet. Or you may have your vocabulary reduced to two slurred auditory expressions some people think sounds like knock knock. But that makes no sense ....unless....no....the horror ....you're brain damag......ed. :laugh:

This has been a public service publication. No KZ's were destroyed or parted out in it's making. ;)

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
21 Nov 2009 16:16 #335102 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic How do you do a burnout / wheelie?
The Budweiser Burnout Bike Nascar style
I have seen it live twice its pretty cool.

[youtube]
[/youtube]

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
22 Nov 2009 17:58 #335249 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic How do you do a burnout / wheelie?
racer54 wrote:

I wouldn't recommend starting in second gear though. Weak gear in these trannies. I lock up the front brake, release the clutch and jump on the throttle at the same time. Use a couple fingers on the front brake lever and use the others to twist the throttle. Once you have the tire spinning, you can modulate the throttle to control the bike. Just be ready for the rear to start moving to the side once you start. Once you get that down, you can release the brake slowly to keep it burning while creeping forward or whatever speed you want the bike to move. Be ready in case the tire catches up and hooks up though. It will make for a very exciting couple seconds otherwise if it does. If you try it while rolling, careful. If you don't get the throttle/clutch right, you can bog the motor, start spinning the tire or the tire can hook instantly and bike can do just about anything. Too little throttle and the motor will bog or tire will catch and kill motor. Too much and that tire will start spinning and have a mind of it's own. Stand off the seat to remove the weight on the bike, push your weight forward and release the clutch. Having weight off back tire will make it easier to break tire loose, unless you have one of Plummens turbo motors and then it wouldn't be a problem at all!:)

yup, what he said....:laugh: ....

More
22 Nov 2009 18:05 #335250 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic How do you do a burnout / wheelie?
rolling burnouts are asking for trouble....just ask my bro....sold him my 85 gs1150e with the big bore kit.....he was leaving 25 feet of rubber in front of the local stealership.....funny....wasnt so funny when he tried it in april with a cold tire and it got all all squigly and he dumped it and screwed up a couple of toes on each foot when they got between the pegs and the road.....wasnt pretty...:laugh:

More
22 Nov 2009 18:46 #335257 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic How do you do a burnout / wheelie?
keith1 wrote:

racer54 wrote:

I wouldn't recommend starting in second gear though. Weak gear in these trannies. I lock up the front brake, release the clutch and jump on the throttle at the same time. Use a couple fingers on the front brake lever and use the others to twist the throttle. Once you have the tire spinning, you can modulate the throttle to control the bike. Just be ready for the rear to start moving to the side once you start. Once you get that down, you can release the brake slowly to keep it burning while creeping forward or whatever speed you want the bike to move. Be ready in case the tire catches up and hooks up though. It will make for a very exciting couple seconds otherwise if it does. If you try it while rolling, careful. If you don't get the throttle/clutch right, you can bog the motor, start spinning the tire or the tire can hook instantly and bike can do just about anything. Too little throttle and the motor will bog or tire will catch and kill motor. Too much and that tire will start spinning and have a mind of it's own. Stand off the seat to remove the weight on the bike, push your weight forward and release the clutch. Having weight off back tire will make it easier to break tire loose, unless you have one of Plummens turbo motors and then it wouldn't be a problem at all!:)

yup, what he said....:laugh: ....

skinny little hard compound rear tire aint gonna hurt nothin,now backflipping in 1st gear might be a bit of an issue! :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
23 Nov 2009 17:10 #335457 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic How do you do a burnout / wheelie?
Where you do it also makes a difference. Tried it once on concrete....found out why they like concrete launch pads at the strip. Man...that stuf had hooks. Out in front of the house on the tar and gravel road, now that's another story. You can get a bike with 1 hp smoking that tire. Looks impressive but can get exciting when using that "skinny little hard compound rear tire". Besides...he said he wanted to learn how to do wheelies, didn't he? :laugh:

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
23 Nov 2009 18:12 #335473 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic How do you do a burnout / wheelie?
i always do my burnouts in second gear never hurt anything yet, start by getting the rear tire wet then grab the front brake with a couple of fingers and start rolling the throttle on at the same time snap the clutch out as the tire starts to bite you must get the throttle turn fully open. practice the movements with out every trying the actual burnout until they come natural to you the reason why i use second gear is higher wheel speed less time bagging the motor for the same result. remember go full throttle as quick as you can if you have a rev limiter. once you do a few it will become second nature. if fact i used to do so many burnouts i used to measure my summer of riding not by miles but in how many tires i went thru. as far wheelies go iuse a wheelie bar so that tells you i don't like them or do them.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
25 Nov 2009 03:10 #335808 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic How do you do a burnout / wheelie?
Old Man Rock wrote:

Well hell, this looks like fun don't it! :blink:

Or this burn.. Hey, where'd you go?

And this classic but hey... he looks good in his leathers right....

Thats why I told him to have a friend there with a camera. :laugh:

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
25 Nov 2009 05:16 #335822 by Old Man Rock
Yup, love thata third clip...

Let go Plummen, Let go of the damn bars....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az