My Z1 Upside Down in the Parking Lot

More
14 Jul 2009 15:17 #307021 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic My Z1 Upside Down in the Parking Lot
Tou need to give the insurance man a estimate for you doing the work.

Here in Kentucky if the repairs are 75% of the value of the vehicle,by law the vehicle has to be totled.

Shop labor rates are around $75.00 a hour so the labor itself will total the bike.

Get a bike magazine and call the lawyers that ride bikes or talk to a local lawyer.

You willl lose your bike if you try and deal with this yourself.

Buy insurance from a company that only deals in vintage bikes. Haggerty is the name i'm thinking of. Might not be right.Any way thier lowest coverage is $5000.00 and i have heard tjhier rates are cheaper than your normal underwriter.

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kawickrice
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
21 Jul 2009 20:23 #308558 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic My Z1 Upside Down in the Parking Lot
The insurance company called today and offered me $1209.77 for the damages. B) B) Z1 Enterprises will be my first stop after I get the money. :) :) I was expecting a nightmare experience :unsure: but feel a little better now. ;) ;)

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
21 Jul 2009 22:14 #308575 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic My Z1 Upside Down in the Parking Lot
Good for you! Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

• Iron Duke
  • User
  • what are you rebelling against?
More
21 Jul 2009 22:29 #308576 by Iron Duke
Replied by Iron Duke on topic My Z1 Upside Down in the Parking Lot
Cspra, A real bummer, know that dreams were stepped on. a bike that age and parts for are hard to come bye, glad it was as minor as it was, glad you wern't in the saddle. kinda same thing happened to me years ago with an 81 year old driver,I was 24, he had had 8 contact wrecks that year couldn't see over the wheel, but it was me that lost DL for the year, even though he turned right in front of me, check his drivers record,sounds like its time for him to take the aTa bus.I concur with Craig,Nate, L J, Andy, Ron,650ed, and Donthekawguy. take it slow, you start feeling uncomfortable get a GOOD mouthpiece. Regards&best of luck Duke

1982 KZ550 LTD C-3
1979 XS1100 F Yamaha

More
22 Jul 2009 04:37 #308611 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic My Z1 Upside Down in the Parking Lot
"shop time estimates"... Not sure I understand...

Outside of the painting, hell if you had those parts in hand, you're talking about what, 2-3 hours most in doing yourself...

It's your $$$ and all but why pay a shop to do this stuff, this is no brainer replacements....

I don't get it...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
22 Jul 2009 06:46 #308631 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic My Z1 Upside Down in the Parking Lot
Sorry to hear about that. It's a pretty regular thing for me in Chicago.

Here's a couple good ones:
One time a lady in a Landraover backed into my bike and knocked it over. I was in a store and the store owner yelled to me. I ran out there just before she had a chance to drive off. She actually tried to say it was my fault because my bike was too small to be seen! W.T.F. ?
So if she runs over a small kid, it's the kid's fault?
She refused to give me her information until I said "let's call the cops then, and let them figure out who's fault it is". Later, she refused to pay up for the damages. Luckily I had a friend who is a P.I. and knows how to act like a lawyer. A few phone calls and I had my money.

So I started parking on sidewalks risking tickets over random hit-and-runs. The tickets were cheaper than the repair costs. One time I'm in a restaurant and I look out the window. I couldn't believe it. A cab was actually backing up onto the sidewalk, all the way up to the building, and just to bump my bike! You can't get away from these idiots who don't know how to park!

More
22 Jul 2009 07:53 #308640 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic My Z1 Upside Down in the Parking Lot
Kawickrice wrote:

The insurance company called today and offered me $1209.77 for the damages. B) B) Z1 Enterprises will be my first stop after I get the money. :) :) I was expecting a nightmare experience :unsure: but feel a little better now. ;) ;)

Having not seen the 'after' pictures, can you repair your bike for the insurance offer?

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
22 Jul 2009 10:47 #308672 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic My Z1 Upside Down in the Parking Lot
I would be willing to bet that they appraised the value of the bike and gave him an appropriate amount of fundage to cover the cost of repair and for someone to do it.
I his bike was in pristine condition like new looking I bet it would have been much more.
With that money I think should be enough to fix it.
What do you think Kawickrice? Is it sufficient?
It would be great for me I wouldn't mind replacing stuff with new. Spend it happily and completely on my bike. I have spent much already. Just waiting to be able to get a nice oil cooler and a set of kehein carbs.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
22 Jul 2009 10:52 #308673 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic My Z1 Upside Down in the Parking Lot
Kawickrice wrote:

Would anyone know shop time estimates for the following:

Replace Vance n Hines header #
360 unless you get b stock on ebay for 300 which I did and am not entirely happy with. It could be the tag slipped down while glued or the entire alignment would be off. NOT A 60 DOLLAR VALUE to me.
Replace right rear turn signal Z1 look it up cheap.
Replace both mirrors get stock or pimped out mirrors?
Replace right front footpeg someone on here for sure has extra
Replace tach bezel (the part that meets the glass)z1resto 95 dollars for a refurbishment of your gauges each one. A worthwhile investment for the icing on the cake.
Replace tail light assembly depends upon if you just need the light cover or entire piece Z1 again for most of this stuff.
Replace handle bars 30 bucks
Replace handle grips come on...depends upon what you go for. I have the octagon grips I like and they are like 25 more or less
Replace point cover ebay 20 if you can find it or less maybe but most likely a little more
Also 2.5 hours in the paint shop few hundred

I am trying to determine the labor rate the shops charge to replace parts.
Go to your bike shop man.
Thanks for the help

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
22 Jul 2009 11:12 #308676 by Splandman
Replied by Splandman on topic My Z1 Upside Down in the Parking Lot
Sorry to hear about your bike. Hope the money is enough to get it back the way it was.

I bought a KZ1000 shaft last year. It is not nearly as nice as a lot of guys bikes on here. I had plans to fix it up. Put a Vance and Hines pipe, pods, had carbs rejetted, new tires. Already have more in it than it's worth but I was having fun riding it.

Loaned it to a friend to take his motorcycle test for his license. (Brilliant) He passed his test, then crashed it in my neighborhood bringing it back to me. Scratched up my pipe, broke a spark plug, gouged some of the fins on the head, ground about 1/2 inch off the bottom of my fork tube, bent my blinkers.

Got it running ok again and rode it a bit a couple of weeks later and when I got near the house I noticed a fairly loud rattling noise that's coming out of what sounds like the top of the engine. Still runs strong and no smoke though.

My niece came over and wanted a ride so I took her around the neighborhood. Came home and parked behind my 2007 Dodge Ram. Wife got into Dodge Ram. Backed over my KZ. I'm convinced this bike is cursed. It was parked sideways behind the truck with the kickstand on the opposite side. The stand dug into the driveway and is now bent so badly it will not hardly stay up without something underneath. (right now a cast iron pan)

Now I have a messed up bike and a dented truck.

Current Bikes
1980 KZ1000E

• Kawickrice
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Jul 2009 13:05 #308696 by Kawickrice
Old Man Rock wrote:

"shop time estimates"... Not sure I understand...

Outside of the painting, hell if you had those parts in hand, you're talking about what, 2-3 hours most in doing yourself...

It's your $$$ and all but why pay a shop to do this stuff, this is no brainer replacements....

I don't get it...

OMR

The reason I was asking about the shop time estimates was to educate myself on how they would do the cost estimate for the bike. I have NEVER let anyone work on my bikes unless it was a friend working on one thing and I was working on something else. (My buddy did my back brakes while I was trouble shooting some wiring issues one time) I can fix it for $600 to $800 maybe a little less. That leaves a little money left for other things I have been wanting to do. I would like a 4 into 1 header for my GS1100 but not until the Z1 is finished. What I need is a set of forks for a Z1 that has good tubes. Mostly everything else will be bought new. As far as paint goes I will probably go with the Rootbeer and Orange instead of what I have now which is the Camelion purple to green. When I receive the check I will be shopping heavy for parts to fix it. Does anyone have some Z1 forks they want to sell? I need a seat also.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• Kawickrice
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Jul 2009 13:15 #308698 by Kawickrice
saxjonz wrote:

Kawickrice wrote:

Would anyone know shop time estimates for the following:

Replace Vance n Hines header #
360 unless you get b stock on ebay for 300 which I did and am not entirely happy with. It could be the tag slipped down while glued or the entire alignment would be off. NOT A 60 DOLLAR VALUE to me.
Replace right rear turn signal Z1 look it up cheap.
Replace both mirrors get stock or pimped out mirrors?
Replace right front footpeg someone on here for sure has extra
Replace tach bezel (the part that meets the glass)z1resto 95 dollars for a refurbishment of your gauges each one. A worthwhile investment for the icing on the cake.
Replace tail light assembly depends upon if you just need the light cover or entire piece Z1 again for most of this stuff.
Replace handle bars 30 bucks
Replace handle grips come on...depends upon what you go for. I have the octagon grips I like and they are like 25 more or less
Replace point cover ebay 20 if you can find it or less maybe but most likely a little more
Also 2.5 hours in the paint shop few hundred

I am trying to determine the labor rate the shops charge to replace parts.
Go to your bike shop man.
Thanks for the help

Saxjonz,
I have an idea on the parts. The dealers use a book for time estimates on part replacement, like .25 hours for mirror replacement etc. We have members here that work for shops and thought I could get some time estimates without going to the local shop. I have not been to the Kawasaki shop in 20 years because they get ridiculous prices for thier parts. Anyways that is water under the bridge now.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL