My Z1 Upside Down in the Parking Lot

• Kawickrice
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
06 Jul 2009 18:13 #304887 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic My Z1 Upside Down in the Parking Lot
After some meditative herbs I am a little calmer now, but still aggravated. :angry: After looking her over after I calmed down it will not be hard to fix. Most of the stuff broken was aftermarket, like the turnsignals mirrors, handlebars. The tank was straight but faded and weathered, it now has a slight ding and scratches, tore a grip, the exhaust will be ok. Does anyone have an idea of how the insurance company will value some of the damage. I want it put back the way it was.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2009 20:17 #304931 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic My Z1 Upside Down in the Parking Lot
Sorry to hear that. Yes riding in Fla this winter I concur. Florida riding definitely not my favorite. As for your bike they will probably total it and give you what bb value is. You are going to have to price the parts out and go through z1 with tank set get a quote from bike shop as to fixing it and then present to them. Then get another tank set. I don't think those tanks are as good as original.
Good luck. Look for the new replacement stuff like a billet cover all the expensive stuff so they can cut a check. But on the real be prepared for a let down.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
06 Jul 2009 23:30 #304969 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic My Z1 Upside Down in the Parking Lot
They might total it out so be careful. You can always get it back from the insurance company but it will have a salvage title. :( Try to find out what book value they use and find a shop that will get as close to that value as you can, buy used parts or after market and spend the rest on hookers and beer. :laugh:

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
07 Jul 2009 04:09 #304979 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic My Z1 Upside Down in the Parking Lot
Sorry to hear of the situation. I would say that you should be sure to negotiate carefully and shrewdly. Don't let them do something like Don said which is to get it back with a salvage title. Make sure you keep a clean title in your name through it all. They'll pitch a fit, but it's still your property so don't give it up!

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
07 Jul 2009 05:53 #304989 by 1977Greyghost
Replied by 1977Greyghost on topic My Z1 Upside Down in the Parking Lot
Roll up your sleeves and get ready for a fight, after all it is an insurance company! The only thing worse than a lawyer....NO WAIT!!! thats why lawyers exist.
Good luck.

The only thing that you can't speed up or slow down....TIME
1980 KZ1000 LTD
2003 Bombardier Traxter MAX

More
07 Jul 2009 07:10 #305011 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic My Z1 Upside Down in the Parking Lot
I've always looked at those bluebooks in amazement for years at the prices they tag motorcycle values at. The Kelley Bluebook values a 1978 KZ1000 in "good" condition at a trade in value of $615, retail sale at a dealer in "excellent" condition is $1020. So they might be generous and pay the $1020 then you can simply buy an excellent KZ1000 from a dealer :angry:

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
07 Jul 2009 07:40 #305017 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic My Z1 Upside Down in the Parking Lot
that sucks.................if you can talk to members that have been through this it might help you get the value back....i only have heard second hand...i heard you can have it as a classic or somthing....keep us posted on what stuff you need.......craig.....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
07 Jul 2009 08:19 #305021 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic My Z1 Upside Down in the Parking Lot
Be sure to discuss your options with YOUR insurance company. Last year an idiot hit the rear of my 97 Seville, which up until then was in mint condition. It damaged the rear bumper requiring it to be replaced. The idiot's insurance company wanted to total my car rather than pay to fix it. I would have ended up with a couple thousand bucks, but no car, and the idiot's insurance company would have sold my car for more than they paid me. I spoke with my insurance company (State Farm) and they paid to have my car fixed then collected from the idiot's insurance company. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• ESTurbo4
  • User
  • With enough patience and persistence we'll fix it.
More
07 Jul 2009 08:28 #305024 by ESTurbo4
Replied by ESTurbo4 on topic My Z1 Upside Down in the Parking Lot
My story may be able to help you know what they're gonna do. My brother got sandwiched between two cars last summer. Apparently some guy behind him didn't see the line of traffic stopped and rear ended him pushing him into another car in front of him. No one was hurt but his car was beat up good.

He had an '85 Mazda GLC Blue Book didn't even have it listed anymore. Another book we came across listed it for less than 500. The insurance adjuster for the guy came and looked at it. He said that he would total it out and that we would be able to keep it at no cost no salvage title (the title thing may be state controlled).

What they did was look up the cars for sale in classified ads. They have to give you enough money to replace the one that was damaged, one of equal condition. 500 wouldn't buy you nothing more than scrap. So after they got 3 or 4 classified ads they send him an offer. The offer was an average of the ads.

1600 bucks might not sound good to you, I know, but the car was 180,000 miles, rusty and he paid only 400 for it. If he really wanted more when they made him the offer he could have just said no I want this much or printed an add for a more expensive one. The adjuster asked me (my brother took my car to work) if he had anything done to the car, I told him new clutch, new radio yada yada yada. So I think you'll be ok. If you don't want him to total (the cost of repairs is more than the value of the vehicle) it you gotta do a little homework like the guys said.

1982 KZ550 LTD

More
07 Jul 2009 09:28 #305037 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic My Z1 Upside Down in the Parking Lot
Find any and all recites for the bike. When I and my bike were wrecked the insurance started out offering me $750 for my bike and I told them to jump off a cliff. I ended up getting $3500 for the old girl. Don't back down at all and don't let them put a salvage title on it. Get ready for a little fighting on the phone.

Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
07 Jul 2009 10:13 #305047 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic My Z1 Upside Down in the Parking Lot
Kawickrice wrote:

Check out the way the old man parks. Pic from the cell phone so not the best

I don't know if you parked in that position originally, but if you did I can see how it would get hit. I try to claim the whole spot by parking dead center right at the entrance of the spot so it can be seen by people who want to pull in.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
07 Jul 2009 10:33 #305056 by will61310
Replied by will61310 on topic My Z1 Upside Down in the Parking Lot
i believe its your right to have it fixed, rather than them total it. get a lawyer if need be, but make em fix it ..

...1980 LTD 1000...