Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

And finally, Wookie's 82 begins ! 07 Aug 2022 16:49 #871849

• calum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 390
You're making good progress - although it makes me pretty happy that I've got through this part of my build ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

And finally, Wookie's 82 begins ! 08 Aug 2022 00:03 #871871

• howardhb
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • God, I trust
  • Thank you received: 431
Progressing nicely Wookie.

Not too long now and you'll be calling on another old friend: Mr. "Pain-ting" !!!
Ultimately, our favourite buddy will show up... Mr. "Ride-ding" ! 

H.
'81 GPz 550 D1 Click this link: www.kzrider.com/gallery/kz-550/1981-gpz550d1-9094#joomimg
'81 GPz 1100 B1 ELR "Tribute" www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/617040-1981-gpz1100-b1-rst
'82 Yamaha YB100 Fizzie
'79 Suzuki GT200 X5 TWO STROKE TWIN - SMOKER!

And finally, Wookie's 82 begins ! 08 Aug 2022 00:41 #871872

• kzstreetfighter71
  • User
  • Atlantic West Coast
  • Thank you received: 250
Nice work! i recognise the fine "dust of the sanding that gets everywhere and is a pain to clean up" oh so well.
06 Gsf 1200 bandit, 08 Triumph tiger 1010
05 Yam xv1700 , 02 Hon shadow 1100
1975 Z1 (currently working on)
1977 Z1000 ( running and in storage)
1978 Z1000 (currently working on)
1978 Z1r "skinny tank" (currently working on)
1978 Z1r "fat tank (gathering parts)
1979 z1000st (currently working on)

And finally, Wookie's 82 begins ! 09 Aug 2022 01:43 #871910

• Wookie58
  • Wookie58's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1788

Nice work! i recognise the fine "dust of the sanding that gets everywhere and is a pain to clean up" oh so well.
Ain't that the truth, it was a lot of work to make a relatively small change but I think visually the difference is significant and it now looks like it belongs there (IMHO)
Glad I was wearing a mask, I had more white powder on my face than "Carlitto" 
The following user(s) said Thank You: slayer61

Last edit: by Wookie58.

And finally, Wookie's 82 begins ! 11 Aug 2022 07:57 #872052

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
  • Thank you received: 265
Wookie those ducts are brilliant! Very well done and an idea I may steal in the future!
Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit
Wife's BIG bike...... 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and factory FI Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods

And finally, Wookie's 82 begins ! 14 Aug 2022 12:14 #872220

• Wookie58
  • Away
So another weekend of plastic and fibereglass draws to an end. Been making good progress with the seat pan and a few minor tweaks to the tailpiece but nothing picture worthy at the moment. I had to narrow the rear of the seat pan which is done now and I have started constructing the extension piece for the back which reaches over the tailpiece. Once I am happy with the seat and tailpiece I can make the planned mods to the side panels ( nothing radical, I just want them to fit better than they do now) I have run into a bit of a hold up (other than waiting for adhesive and resin to set !!) All the research I did and the materials I bought are "ABS" however it appears the pan is "polypropylene" there seems to be very few adhesives suitable for polypropylene and even less to join it with "ABS" 
I have found a "hot glue" product that claims to be suitable but it is an industrial product that comes in 43mm slugs - the gun for this is approx £400 which obviously I am not going to buy to use once ( maybe again in the future but don't tell my wife) so I need to find out how long it stays fluid after heating, the plan is to melt with a heat gun then apply with a spatchula if it stays workable long enough. All part of my education " every day is a school day" 

And finally, Wookie's 82 begins ! 14 Aug 2022 13:33 #872226

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 503

it appears the pan is "polypropylene"

It's very hard to get anything to stick to polypropylene.  I would think that anything in the hot glue category seems unlikely to give great results. Look for products targeted for "low surface energy" plastics.

I have use this 3M product, DP8010. It has some scary warnings on the label, but it did work for our project.

www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40066429/
​​​​​​
it seems like automotive bumpers might be PP.  Perhaps there are some bumper repair products that might also work.

Edit:. 3m also make low surface energy VHB tape.  Depending on the geometry of the pieces you're trying to stick together, that might be an option.

www.3m.com/3M/en_US/vhb-tapes-us/lse-series/
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Last edit: by DOHC.

And finally, Wookie's 82 begins ! 14 Aug 2022 14:38 #872229

• Wookie58
  • Away

It's very hard to get anything to stick to polypropylene.  I would think that anything in the hot glue category seems unlikely to give great results. Look for products targeted for "low surface energy" plastics.

I have use this 3M product, DP8010. It has some scary warnings on the label, but it did work for our project.

​​​​​​
it seems like automotive bumpers might be PP.  Perhaps there are some bumper repair products that might also work.

Edit:. 3m also make low surface energy VHB tape.  Depending on the geometry of the pieces you're trying to stick together, that might be an option.

www.3m.com/3M/en_US/vhb-tapes-us/lse-series/

Thanks for the info, a lot of car parts are like bike bodywork (ABS) which is easy to bond (and reinforce with scraps dissolved in acetone to make a paste/filler) I will have a look at these products. below is what I have been looking at but I need to call them tomorrow - it says it has a long "open time" but I need to know how long it is workable before I can even consider it

Attachments:

And finally, Wookie's 82 begins ! 15 Aug 2022 06:43 #872281

• Wookie58
  • Away

​​​​​​

The 3M product looks really good, I have however gone with the below which appears to be a very similar product from a UK firm. The adhesive is a similar price but when you factor in the applicator gun and nozzles etc the 3M works out about 40% more expensive. Hope "it does what it says on the tin" 

Attachments:

And finally, Wookie's 82 begins ! 15 Aug 2022 08:46 #872287

• Stereordinary
  • User
  • Thank you received: 132
Looking good! 
A breeze from the west.
‘90 ZR550 Zephyr (x2)

And finally, Wookie's 82 begins ! 15 Aug 2022 09:37 #872289

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
  • Thank you received: 178
Wookie,  Just read through your thread.  Can't believe I missed this but hey someone else spoke of riding season.   Seriously, Really like your build and your process.  Am I reading right, that you are going to use this as a vintage racer or for track days?  All I know is that this is really cool and wish you success.  Subscribed!  
KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

The following user(s) said Thank You: slayer61

And finally, Wookie's 82 begins ! 15 Aug 2022 11:20 #872293

• Wookie58
  • Away

Wookie,  Just read through your thread.  Can't believe I missed this but hey someone else spoke of riding season.   Seriously, Really like your build and your process.  Am I reading right, that you are going to use this as a vintage racer or for track days?  All I know is that this is really cool and wish you success.  Subscribed!  
Thanks Forrest, no intention of racing (I haven't had a bike for 20 years so just staying "shiny side up" will be my main focus) I am trying to be subtle with the mods and use as many OE parts as possible from a selection of bikes to hopefully end up with something that "looks right" works better than original and at a passing glance " could always of been that way" If I can hide the fact that it was "nailed together in a shed by a Luddite with a big hammer collection" I will have achieved my goal