Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

The Free Z650F2 09 Mar 2022 08:00 #863460

• Bevelhead
  • Bevelhead's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 47
Yes fitting a new speedo inside the housing is an option, though it'll be cheaper if I buy from somewhere in the UK.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Free Z650F2 09 Mar 2022 13:47 #863487

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394
I'm getting the speedhut speedo with the program button remote, Instead of on the screen, i'm going to fit it under the reset trip button so it all looks stock..
There was a Japanese company making a factory looking electronic speedo for the Z650 but they stopped making them a couple of years ago, I tried to find one for my sons 650...

The Free Z650F2 09 Mar 2022 19:21 #863508

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 494

I couldn't find a speedo drive to fit the 25mm axle i'm using up front, I'm going to use a 4 inch speedhut GPS speedometer and mount it inside the GPZ750A2 gauge housing, you may be able to do something similar, speedhut have sensor speedometers too.. They are customisable.

speedhut.com/gauge-application/classic-s...120mph-programmable/

Has anyone ever seen an electrical driver to use cable driven gauges with a modern electronic speed sensor?  That's a cool product idea. It wouldn't be that hard to make a little gizmo with a motor in it that mounted on the back of the gauge.  

I guess I'm not the first one to think of this:  
www.amazon.com/JEGS-Mechanical-Speedomet...-Built/dp/B07P6CR4T4
speedhut.com/accessories/sensors/speed-s...ive-speed-converter/
www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/pty...mode=prod/prd886.htm
malexmotorsports.com/collections/speedom...rive-speed-converter
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Last edit: by DOHC.

The Free Z650F2 09 Mar 2022 23:29 #863520

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394

I couldn't find a speedo drive to fit the 25mm axle i'm using up front, I'm going to use a 4 inch speedhut GPS speedometer and mount it inside the GPZ750A2 gauge housing, you may be able to do something similar, speedhut have sensor speedometers too.. They are customisable.

speedhut.com/gauge-application/classic-s...120mph-programmable/

Has anyone ever seen an electrical driver to use cable driven gauges with a modern electronic speed sensor?  That's a cool product idea. It wouldn't be that hard to make a little gizmo with a motor in it that mounted on the back of the gauge.  

I guess I'm not the first one to think of this:  
www.amazon.com/JEGS-Mechanical-Speedomet...-Built/dp/B07P6CR4T4
speedhut.com/accessories/sensors/speed-s...ive-speed-converter/
www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/pty...mode=prod/prd886.htm
malexmotorsports.com/collections/speedom...rive-speed-converter
Interesting, I'm sure somewhere I've seen smaller motorcycle specific ones...Thanks for that...

The Free Z650F2 10 Mar 2022 16:16 #863554

• Bevelhead
  • User
One option for the speedo / tacho is just to fit a modern combined unit, along with either a GPS sensor or a magnetic sensor triggered from the front wheel. That would mean losing the classic duel Zed clocks, but I am considering fitting a small cockpit fairing which would hide most of the clocks from view anyway.

Meanwhile the R6 discs and calipers have been fitted to the forks, and now just need to make a spacer to replace the speedo drive which wont be needed anymore.  The fork mounts had to be milled down a few mm and the holes helicoiled to mount the bracket neatly. I was planning on painting the fork lowers black and having the brackets hard anodised black too, but could also just polish both.. decisions, decisions..

The Free Z650F2 11 Mar 2022 08:49 #863587

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
Would the electronic drive from a 1981 or later 1000/1100 LTD fit?
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

The Free Z650F2 11 Mar 2022 09:59 #863593

• Bevelhead
  • User

Would the electronic drive from a 1981 or later 1000/1100 LTD fit?

An interesting option, something I hadn't considered. Looking at the part, not sure if it would fit. Price on Ebay for a used drive is £80, so not something I would like take a risk with. 

The Free Z650F2 11 Mar 2022 10:20 #863595

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
Wow! I had no idea they had gotten so expensive.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

The Free Z650F2 28 Mar 2022 04:15 #864406

• Bevelhead
  • User
For the price of a packet of biscuits, a friend let me use his blasting cabinet to remove several layers of paint from the wheels, which saved me a huge amount of time. They will refinished in gold, not sure yet if I will paint them myself or get them powder coated.. the latter being more expensive but giving a more durable finish.

Meanwhile the frame has gone to be powder coated, and has been taken back to bare metal. Which showed some rust damage to the frame, which they will get repaired before powder coating the frame.

The Free Z650F2 08 Apr 2022 06:46 #865123

• Bevelhead
  • User
Spent ages polishing the fork lowers of the Z650, one of which had some deep damage.. suspect it must have fallen over on that side. Should've just painted them black really.

All the fasteners are polished stainless, with some, such as the top yoke nut and spacer coming an via Ebay supplier called classic_bike_fasteners .. excellent quality, and not much difference in price compared to the original chromed bolts from Kawasaki.

The Free Z650F2 10 Apr 2022 07:32 #865204

• Bevelhead
  • User
Collected the frame and various parts.. battery box, electrics panel, headlight mount, from the powder coaters, Triple S. They did an excellent job as always. Once blasted, rust holes were found in the 'ears' towards the back of the frame. These were fixed by a man Triple S use, then the frame could be powder coated. I left the wheels to be powder coated next, in a satin gold finish, along with some machined parts that are getting a new finish for me.. Cerakote.Also collected some engine parts for my Z1000 Mk2 project. All good, but prices have gone up recently, no doubt heating their big ovens must be getting expensive..[img] i.imgur.com/1FG8k4D.jpg[/img ]

The Free Z650F2 15 Apr 2022 12:36 #865517

• Bevelhead
  • User
2nd try at posting photo