Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

The Free Z650F2 28 Apr 2023 14:08 #883919

• Bevelhead
  • Bevelhead's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 47
That's very helpful, I will investigate in the morning.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Free Z650F2 16 May 2023 12:56 #884771

• Bevelhead
  • User
The only thing I hadn't yet change in the ignition system was the points themselves, so I fitted a new pair, and finally got a spark at the plugs. But it seemed to be a very weak spark, and the bike still wouldn't fire up. I changed all the terminals used in the ignition circuit but that made no difference. However I did notice that one of the coils was getting hot with only a little use, the other coil was stone cold. Odd.

Having spent many hours checking and double checking everything I could think off, with no progress, I gave up on the points ignition and have now ordered a complete Dyna S ignition, coils and leads. They should be delivered this week.

On a happier note all the other electrics work ok, so the bike is pretty much finished... except it doesn't run yet. 

Cheap filters fitted, will do for now

The old points, found to be earthed to the back plate, culprit could be the small insulating washers..

While the green F2 now has the bottom half of its engine built and its in the frame. The bores and pistons are in good condition but the rings are at their wear limit so will be replaced. The engine has been ceramically coated, from black to silver.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, sf4t7, Wheelhop

The Free Z650F2 27 May 2023 12:25 #885285

• Bevelhead
  • User
I fitted Dyna coils and Dyna S ignition, which gave a good spark and the bike fired up... but only on three cylinders and only for a short time. Time for the carbs to be dismantled, cleaned and rebuilt.

When I dismantled the carbs I couldn't see any obvious blocked jets etc, although three of the four main jet o rings fell apart as I unscrewed them.

Later in the week the 10L Ultrasonic cleaner arrived along with a bottle of carb cleaner. It was just big enough to take everything in one go, except the backing plate. Seemed to work ok, after 25 minutes in the solution. 

Then had the tedious task of rebuilding the carbs, I used E10 resistant O rings, along with new stainless screws and brass drain plugs. 

With the carbs back on the bike, time to see if it would now run on all four cylinders... 

But once again the bike didn't want to fire up, eventually I used a syringe to squirt fuel down the carbs, at which point the engine fired up for a few seconds, sounded good with all cylinders firing. Removing the float bowl drain plugs showed all four carbs bone dry. Odd, as their is fuel going down from the tank into the T piece..  

Tomorrow, I will remove the carbs from the engine to investigate further... 

The Free Z650F2 09 Jun 2023 03:39 #885801

• Bevelhead
  • User
The float valves where worn and sticking, so I fitted new ones. which got the bike running on 3 cylinders, but I couldn't find the problem with no1 carb. So I fitted the carbs from the F2 and it fired up on all four straight away, so those carbs can stay on the bike for now. While there a few small items that need to be done, such as rechroming the kickstart and brake lever (to be done next winter), and of course the original carb problem, the bike is now finished..