Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Restoring Zephanie 09 Aug 2022 15:52 #871936

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1720
That's a decision only you can make based on what you are looking for, performance, visual appeal or both 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Restoring Zephanie 09 Aug 2022 16:00 #871938

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
My opinion...

Fork springs, stiffer than .7, fresh oil and done

Ikon or Hagon shocks.  Or maybe the Biturbo shocks you found for a good price.  These shocks will provide performance consistent with the limits in the rest of the bike.  

Beyond that, it's mostly fluff.  If you don't have stainless/teflon brake lines, that would be a good investment with some of the money you will save over higher cost options.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Restoring Zephanie 09 Aug 2022 17:06 #871940

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
YSS rear shocks RE302-350T-19-X, the brand has a good reputation in price and quality.

www.wirth-federn.de/produkt/yss-federbei...0-1100-bj-1992-1999/

ebay.de/itm/332644361940

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

Restoring Zephanie 09 Aug 2022 17:13 #871941

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043

My opinion...

Fork springs, stiffer than .7, fresh oil and done

Ikon or Hagon shocks.  Or maybe the Biturbo shocks you found for a good price.  These shocks will provide performance consistent with the limits in the rest of the bike.  

Beyond that, it's mostly fluff.  If you don't have stainless/teflon brake lines, that would be a good investment with some of the money you will save over higher cost options.

I am with Ed (Nessism) on this. They KYB shocks, resprung, rebuilt and Gold valved will be almost as good as a set of Bitubo shocks which are almost as good as the Ohlins. If you want to get deep in the weeds on this issue, there are several extensive discussion threads over at ZRXOA.COM. Guys there have experience with rebuilt KYBs, Bitubos (which is what I have), Ohlins, Wilbers WP, Penske and the rest. One thing I have noticed in those discussions are that the riders who do not do track days and are not aggressive on the street claim to see much less difference than the riders who do those things.
If it fits your budget, I would say, Bitubo shocks out back, Race Tech springs, cartridge emulators and oil up front. Definitely better brake lines. You may also want to look at Traxxion Dynamics.   traxxion.com/

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Restoring Zephanie 11 Sep 2022 08:26 #873706

• Stereordinary
  • Stereordinary's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 127
Ended up going with Öhlins. 

A breeze from the west.
‘90 ZR550 Zephyr (x2)
Attachments:

Restoring Zephanie 11 Sep 2022 10:23 #873723

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1720
Good choice 

Restoring Zephanie 12 Sep 2022 12:35 #873771

• Stereordinary
  • User
So rebuilding front forks here, and have got stuck on figuring out what my preload measurement is going to need to be. As best I can measure, stock is about 0.896” (22.6mm). See photo below. 

The new RaceTech springs are considerably shorter than stock, but they’ve provided them with a length of PVC tubing to be cut down for spring spacers. And according to their website, the recommended preload is 15mm. 

The new springs are stiffer, so I’m kind of guessing that less preload is required. Is that correct? Like so instead of all this preload making them the appropriate stiffness, the spring itself is now doing that. Yes, no, maybe? 
A breeze from the west.
‘90 ZR550 Zephyr (x2)
Attachments:

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

Restoring Zephanie 12 Sep 2022 13:53 #873777

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1952
Just a FYI
 I fix to be full size between 10 and 20 pictures a day. 
So it's not just you
Please follow thru when posting pictures by clicking on the insert all tab as a final step and we will remain friends LOL
I got tired of posting this on every thread so hopefully others will read this here
DD

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

Restoring Zephanie 12 Sep 2022 14:03 #873778

• Stereordinary
  • User
Oh I use insert all when I want it full size in line, but just attach for when the photo is not necessarily important to view, as in this case, since the measurement is in the text. But I guess saying “see photo below” implies that folks should look at it, haha. But no problem, if you prefer we always use insert all I shall comply. 
A breeze from the west.
‘90 ZR550 Zephyr (x2)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

Restoring Zephanie 12 Sep 2022 15:31 #873791

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
I have always been told, and have read in many places that the important number is sag, not preload.

www.penskeshocks.com/blog/how-to-properl...n-sag-why-it-matters
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stereordinary

Restoring Zephanie 12 Sep 2022 23:00 #873807

• Zaddict
  • User
  • Enjoying my Zaddiction!
  • Thank you received: 48
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationYou might want to invest in adjustable preload fork caps-

10000x easier/more convenient than having to remove the caps to dial in the right preload…
1990 Zephyr zr550 B1
Factory Pro Stage 1 jet kit
zx550 cams
SPII ignition system
Kerker stainless steel race exhaust with 1.5" competition baffle
K&N Air Filter...

Last edit: by Zaddict.

Restoring Zephanie 13 Sep 2022 06:23 #873817

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1843
This is from Sonic Springs.

NOTE A: Cutting spacersThe purpose of the spacers is to provide the proper amount of pre-load on the springs. In general, street bikes need about ¾” of pre-load, assuming that the spring rate is correct for the weight of the bike and rider. So the question is, how do we determine the right length for the spacer?
Take the fork cap, and if it has a pre-load adjustment, set it in the middle. Now measure the depth of the cap from the bottom to the base of the portion that sits against the top of the fork tube. Include any stock washer that will sit on top of the spacer. Basically we’re measuring the length of the portion that fits inside the fork tube.
Say for example that this length is 2”. If we cut the spacer so that with the spring, washer and spacer installed it came up flush with the top of the fork tube, when we installed the fork cap the spring would be compressed 2”. Too much. So we need to cut the spacer shorter to get the proper pre-load. In this case 1 ¼” shorter. Easiest way to measure this is to put the spring, washer and uncut spacer in the extended fork leg. Mark the spacer tube even with the top of the fork tube. Pull the spacer out and measure 1 ¼” down from the mark. Mark and cut from that point. Now, when you put the spring, washer and spacer in, the top of the spacer should be 1 ¼” below the top of the fork tube. When the fork cap is installed, the 2” section inside the fork tube will compress the spring ¾”. Voila, correct pre-load!! Just make sure you use the right numbers for you, not the ones in this example. Also, back the adjuster all the way back out before re-installing the fork cap, to make it easier to get the threads started. Re-set the adjuster to the middle position after everything is bolted back up.
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

Last edit: by Mikaw.