Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Restoring Zephanie 03 Aug 2022 18:45 #871646

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
I got a killer deal on the Ohlins shocks on my 750, otherwise I wouldn't have bought them.  They are really nice and all, but honestly, considering the bike they are on, and my skill level, they are way overkill.  A better rider on a set of $200 Progressives would leave me for dead on a twisty road.  Before finding these shocks I was considering YSS shocks, since they are reputed to be really nice, and a little less money than most others of similar quality.  Gazi shocks are reputed to be nice.  Works were great before they went out of business.  Honestly, Progressive are good.  Better than their fork springs I'd say.  All these are up to very spirited road riding, and spending more won't make you faster of safer.  
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stereordinary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Nessism.

Restoring Zephanie 04 Aug 2022 09:55 #871669

• Stereordinary
  • Stereordinary's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 127
Really awesome responses here guys! I knew I came to the right place with these questions. Thank you all sincerely for taking the time to get into it with me. I can't seem to get replies or answers from manufacturers or shops, but you all are right on top of it. Again, thank you!

You've all helped sway my opinion and given me a better idea what makes sense for me. The irony of it is, I think I'm still going with Ohlins. Here me out though, I think this is actually gonna make sense, LOL!

For the front forks, you guys have convinced me that all I need is new springs, and a good rebuild. RaceTech was my first choice, and their rate calculator suggests 0.71 kg/mm spring rate (stock is 0.52 kg/mm). However, their site says that they don't actually have springs with that rate available. Cue sad trumpet sound. But guess who does have springs available that are exactly the right spring rate?  Yep, you guessed it, Ohlins.  I guess I could save a little money and go with Progressive, but they don't even list what the kg/mm is, so I feel like the Ohlins is a safer bet.

For the shocks, I would be thrilled if there was a way to have a set of ZRX shocks rebuilt to work with my bike. They are a direct bolt-on as far as the eyelets are concerned, but they are 1/2" longer than my stock Zephyr shocks. The bike feels plenty sporty for my skill level, and I don't want to raise the rear end up and make the front feel twitchier. So unless anybody knows if there is a way to shorten some ZRX shocks up a little bit (I already have a pair I could use), then I am on to plan B...

Obviously there are hundreds of shock choices out there, and to Nessism's point, I found a set of Bitubos for around $400 that would probably be great. However, I will confess to some vanity and desire to make my bike look cool, plus having a name I can trust on there.  Once again, Ohlins.  Yes, they're a little pricey. But surprisingly, they're more like in the middle of the price range, and also they're not adjustable to the nines. Preload only. I figure if they've already dialed in the compression and rebound at the factory (and I imagine Ohlins knows how to do that better than I do!) than it's less I have to worry about. 

So other than figuring out if there is some way to make the ZRX shocks work, I think I have my plan. What do you guys think?
A breeze from the west.
‘90 ZR550 Zephyr (x2)

Restoring Zephanie 04 Aug 2022 11:13 #871673

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1720
My opinion for what it is worth is that by the time you buy springs, revalve and have the damper rods machined shorter you won't be far off the price of replacement rears. I think you would be better off buying bolt on replacements and selling the ZRX units to offset the cost

Restoring Zephanie 04 Aug 2022 16:04 #871696

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
.7 fork springs are very light.  I'm very surprised the calculator would suggest that.  How much do you weigh with all your gear on?  

BTW, where to get the Gazi shocks for so cheap?  
The following user(s) said Thank You: 750 R1, Stereordinary

Last edit: by Nessism.

Restoring Zephanie 04 Aug 2022 17:08 #871699

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 494

. So unless anybody knows if there is a way to shorten some ZRX shocks up a little bit (I already have a pair I could use),

I would call racetech. I believe racetech can rebuild and revalve ZRX shocks. It's also possible they could limit the travel internally to make them a 1/2" shorter, assuming that leaves enough compression travel for your setup. This may not be much cheaper than those ohlins, but presumably the result would be custom trailered to your bike
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Last edit: by DOHC.

Restoring Zephanie 04 Aug 2022 18:15 #871701

• Stereordinary
  • User

.7 fork springs are very light.  I'm very surprised the calculator would suggest that.  How much do you weigh with all your gear on?  

RaceTech’s calculator has you input your weight without gear, so that’s what I did. I’m about 170 lbs. in my gym clothes.

What’s “Gazi?”

I would call racetech.

I was thinking the same thing. I’ll do that before I do anything else at this point.
A breeze from the west.
‘90 ZR550 Zephyr (x2)

Restoring Zephanie 04 Aug 2022 19:47 #871703

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member

RaceTech’s calculator has you input your weight without gear, so that’s what I did. I’m about 170 lbs. in my gym clothes.

What’s “Gazi?”

Sorry, I was thinking Biturbo was a Gazi shock model.  Nevermind on that.

I put .9 springs in my 750 and they are far from "stiff."  I'm about 20 lbs heavier than you, but that won't make a difference.  .7 springs are way too light unless you plan to use for air pressure.  

BTW, YSS makes some nice shocks.  You can get some with adjustable damping for a good deal less than those Ohlins you are looking at. 

Restoring Zephanie 04 Aug 2022 20:14 #871705

• ghostdive
  • User
  • Thank you received: 118
I would pick something with adjustable damping. It comes in handy now and then.
1982 KZ750 Spectre - 6 speed swap, BS34s, 18" rear wheel

2001 ZX-6R

Restoring Zephanie 05 Aug 2022 18:07 #871746

• Stereordinary
  • User

I would pick something with adjustable damping. It comes in handy now and then.

If I end up getting the ZRX shocks to work, I’ll have preload, compression, and rebound adjustability. Hoping that’s less than the cost of the Öhlins, but we will wait and see. I called RaceTech this morning, they are gonna look into it and get back to me.
A breeze from the west.
‘90 ZR550 Zephyr (x2)

Restoring Zephanie 06 Aug 2022 08:20 #871760

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 372
I have ZRX1100 shocks on my KZ650.
They are almost 2 inches longer than the Koni shocks I had on before.
I had the front end lowered for years, forks slid up in the triple clamps, so moved them back to stock height.
Also have an 18" front wheel, so that must lower the axle 1/2".

First few rides I could feel a little difference; the bike sits higher and corning was different, but now after many rides she feels normal.

My ZRX got Ohlins rear shocks.
Noticable improvement in ride over the stock shocks.
The front end needed some help, and adjusting them with the help of Steve who sold me the Ohlins helped.
Both the KZ and ZRX will get some front end attention this Winter, RaceTech Emulators and rebuilds are in the plan.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Last edit: by rstnick.

Restoring Zephanie 06 Aug 2022 08:34 #871763

• Stereordinary
  • User
Cool stuff Rob. 
A breeze from the west.
‘90 ZR550 Zephyr (x2)

Restoring Zephanie 09 Aug 2022 15:29 #871935

• Stereordinary
  • User
Finally got a quote from RaceTech, so time to weigh options, and commit. Wondering what you guys think here. 

On the front end, there’s still the option of the Öhlins replacement springs (and rebuild). I have not yet gotten any info from RaceTech if they can supply springs or not, but I will ask them if I decide to go with them for the ZRX shock rebuild. 

So on to the quote for the shocks. For a rebuild and lowering of the ZRX shocks, they quoted about $720. I can pony up extra to have gold valves installed, which would run about $1330, but that’s pretty much out of my budget and probably more than I need. But $720 is less than the Öhlins I was looking at are currently selling for, and I’d have 3-way adjustable KYB shocks that would look I think much more like they belong there instead of being aftermarket. Of course, they’d still have to shipped, I don’t know what the lead time is for the service, and I already dropped $270 to purchase these ZRX shocks in the first place. So ultimately a lot more spent.

What do you guys think? Worth it? 
A breeze from the west.
‘90 ZR550 Zephyr (x2)