Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1979 KZ650B Streamlined Restomod 09 Feb 2022 13:21 #862061

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 374
I've had a Rickman fairing on my 650 for a number of years.
Great wind protection.
Lower your head down behind the fairing and it's like your slipping through the air.
Do need lower handlebars, and cannot switch while the fairing is on to higher bars.
My fairing and a full set of bodywork has been at a painter buddies place for over a year.
Last season I rode without the fairing.
I found the low Clubman bars uncomfortable, so have put regular handle bars back on this Winter.

I'm having this gas tank painted to match the side covers and tail by another painter.
Headlight moved back to stock position, Renthal handlebars.
Have ordered a small 7" Cafe fairing as I'm thinking I'm going to like the higher bars.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oysteinaar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by rstnick.

1979 KZ650B Streamlined Restomod 09 Feb 2022 15:33 #862066

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067

Have ordered a small 7" Cafe fairing as I'm thinking I'm going to like the higher bars.

Spoiled by the Rex?
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

1979 KZ650B Streamlined Restomod 10 Feb 2022 07:28 #862084

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 374
Yes, I think so.
After riding the ZRX for 5 years, then going to the KZ last season with low handle bars, I relized I'm uncomfortable on the KZ.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

1979 KZ650B Streamlined Restomod 10 Feb 2022 07:37 #862086

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
  • Thank you received: 265

ThatGPzGuy: thank you 

I've been offered a Rickman Centura fairing for ish USD$300 + shipping and was wondering if anyone have any experience with these? I think it would be nice for longer trips etc.
I would have to fabricate some mounts, but I'm not totally sure about the fitment with the lowered headlight

Example:
​​​
I sense a Mad Max build coming! 
Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit
Wife's BIG bike...... 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and factory FI Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods

1979 KZ650B Streamlined Restomod 12 Feb 2022 05:00 #862160

• Oysteinaar
  • Oysteinaar's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
I think I will let the rickman fairing go for now, I love the "windbreaker"-effect, but I dont think I'll be able to fit it in a "good looking" way for my bike. maybe I'll add a smaller one later if I can either buy or make one that fits better with the rest of the build 

Engine guards arrived yesterday, will be painted black. Thank you, rstnick, very fair pricing, and they look perfect! (Your bike looks flawless btw, both with and without the fairing!)

The new rear fender (from a 750 H1) will be here in a few days. Since I'm currently working away from home I won't be able to work on the bike untill around easter, but I'm still ordering parts and planning what to do going forward, so stay tuned 
Kawasaki KZ650 1979

Last edit: by Oysteinaar.

1979 KZ650B Streamlined Restomod 14 Feb 2022 23:39 #862390

• Oysteinaar
  • User
Rear fender arrived today, needs a little TLC. Will be sandblasted and painted black along with the front fender

Kawasaki KZ650 1979

1979 KZ650B Streamlined Restomod 19 Feb 2022 05:21 #862551

• crusierlover
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Hey heres shout out to Nessism. Anyhow, i love what you are doing, not hacking,bobbiing,ruining the bike. Nessism did a 750 that is a work of art. My bike is 82 650csr. I dont understand lowering the instruments. I love the more flush signals. If i had moey i put an expensive complete digital dash, forkmounted signals, flush rear signals.i have to put forward controls on mine due to wrecking a knee in2001 bike wreck.my bike is the stock purple. I am going to wrap it.what was wrong with your starter clutch. I love your work.
Proud owner of 1982 650csr again soon. keeping it this time
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

1979 KZ650B Streamlined Restomod 21 Feb 2022 12:45 #862689

• Oysteinaar
  • User
crusierlover: thank you man! ...about lowering the instruments, in my(!) opinion the standard bracket/gauges looks out of place and a little funny if you put lowered handlebars on the bike. And with all the other mods on the bike, lowered instruments is the way to go, it doesn't affect the visibility of the instruments while riding (checked, and double checked this about 50 times before welding the bracket to shape).

The started clutch slipped after engaging for about 2 seconds every time (standard problem on these bikes) so i swapped it to a starter clutch that works in a different way (no rollers) and its much better. Works flawless now.

A little update on the project:
I got a little vacation from work after putting in 100 workhours in 10 days straight, so I'm now back to working on the bike. Text first and photos after, since I'm feeling lazy:

*Made some spacers and drilled some holes to mount the new rear fender.

*Got a new glassblasting machine at the workshop, will come in handy before painting everything.

*New turn signals
*Engine guards
*Started cleaning up the wiring harness
*New fuse box.

More to come!

Note: I know the turn signals are mounted in the "wrong holes". The bolts are too short for the original ones with the rubber inbetween. I will fab. some grab bars later on that will be mounted to the "big hole" in some way.

note: had to use the standard red connectors for the turn signals to be able to mount/dismount them. Everything else will use waterproof connectors or the original ones if they are not "rotten"

Kawasaki KZ650 1979

1979 KZ650B Streamlined Restomod 21 Feb 2022 12:49 #862690

• Oysteinaar
  • User

​​​​​​

Kawasaki KZ650 1979

1979 KZ650B Streamlined Restomod 24 Feb 2022 13:20 #862876

• Oysteinaar
  • User
The frame is now painted, I first wirebrushed and sanded the frame, washed it, and then did 2 layers of "rust-milk" as I like to call it (Würth rust converter). Man... this stuff works wonders. I have previously used it on cars, and It's like magic, just look at the difference! And also you need like maybe 1dl of it to coat the frame with two thick layers.

Picture before sanding:

After sanding/wire brushing and applying the rustmilk:

I then waited for it to cure and put one layer of hammerite black semi-gloss paint. (I know spray painting it would look nicer, but since I want the bike ready for summer, that's not an option. Also I honestly believe its way more protected against rust as it is now). The swingarm, triple tree, and the two stands will be painted when removed for service (bearings etc).

Kawasaki KZ650 1979

1979 KZ650B Streamlined Restomod 24 Feb 2022 13:25 #862877

• Oysteinaar
  • User
A lot of parts have been glassblasted, and will be "acid-primed" and spray painted when easter comes around. Maybe I'll get around to painting the tankset also, we'll see.

I have installed new carb holders, and also managed to remove the airbox without cracking it (was a PITA with the stone hard rubber.

Re-welded the chainguard, it's not an original, but I like it! Here's a picture from the process:

Also used plastic renewer on the inner fender, turned out tits.

New front fender that will be "bobbed" is on the way in the mail
Kawasaki KZ650 1979

1979 KZ650B Streamlined Restomod 24 Feb 2022 14:16 #862880

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 656
Still interested in the euro rear guard if your any closer to deciding. 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!