Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Turbo for my KZ1000 13 Jul 2020 09:16 #830554

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1441

Nessism wrote: All I can say is WOW! I didn't know over the top exhaust routing was even a thing. Crazy $hit!

It's common on drag bikes.
Here's a pic of mine..
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scirocco, Bent Trigger, Dragbike_Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Turbo for my KZ1000 13 Jul 2020 16:05 #830600

• Bent Trigger
  • Bent Trigger's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
What happened to Mr Turbo? The site is still up. I'll call the rebuild place tomorrow to see if they can give some info on sizes. Your probably right About an F40 as it came off a 82 KZ1000. Mine drags some and will not coast at all. I also have a list of parts for the S&S Super B carb. Chris

Hahahahah The site I saw is in Capetown South Africa!! My apologies.:P

Last edit: by Bent Trigger.

Turbo for my KZ1000 13 Jul 2020 17:04 #830604

• urankjj
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 192
Zed. Is that a Kosman frame ?

Last edit: by urankjj.

Turbo for my KZ1000 13 Jul 2020 18:44 #830610

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1951
You can compare Zeds frame to mine ( My teams )
Here are two examples from my racing days
Although rebuilding the turbo is a great idea , It may be OK.
Turbos do not spin super easy . Not much free wheeling . Takes real exhaust power to make them spin and build boost

THESE ARE BOTH Kosman chassis

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bent Trigger, Dragbike_Mike

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

Turbo for my KZ1000 13 Jul 2020 23:16 #830620

• zed1015
  • User

urankjj wrote: Zed. Is that a Kosman frame ?

Yes! It's a Kosman frame.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS

The following user(s) said Thank You: Bent Trigger, urankjj

Turbo for my KZ1000 14 Jul 2020 04:55 #830627

• Bent Trigger
  • User
Any advice on a re-builder for my spare head? Also if I take the Turbo apart for inspection what should I look for as far as indications of NO-GO? I also need help on the way the Impulse line is connected to the waste gate and such. Thanks Chris

Turbo for my KZ1000 14 Jul 2020 06:03 #830635

• Dragbike_Mike
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 103

Bent Trigger wrote: Thanks Mike, looks like you've got some serious work into that bike.:cheer: I love the chain driven ignition!! Somehow I don;t think mine will be that involved, but I have been thinking of an inter cooler.:whistle:

You're welcome, Chris. You're getting a lot of good advice here. A lot of KZ knowledge on this website!

Also, some more food for thought - I think that with a "draw- through" system (carb mounted at turbo inlet) you're going to be limited to mounting the turbo behind the motor. The setups that you might see on other bikes with the turbo mounted out front are all using "blow-through" setups that use fuel injection - no carb. If you mount a draw-through up front, you'll get a lot of fuel/air mixture separation by the time it makes it's way to the inlet manifold.

For this same reason of fuel separation, I've never seen an intercooler used on a draw-through system. If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me. Just my .02.

Mike
Presently - 1980 KZ1000B4 LTD w/mild ported head, Megacycle cams, 1015cc Wiseco, Falicon Supercrank, R&D undercut trans
In a former life - KZ-based dragbike - CrMo car tire chassis, 1395cc, Hahn Racecraft turbo system, VP C16, Orient Express 3-spd auto, 7.80's @ 165-170.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bent Trigger

Turbo for my KZ1000 14 Jul 2020 06:13 #830636

• Bent Trigger
  • User
Thanks Mike, that's good to know and makes perfect sense. I've got plenty of room behind the head so I'll try to make good use of it. Chris

Turbo for my KZ1000 14 Jul 2020 06:28 #830639

• zed1015
  • User
You can't use an intercooler on the draw through.
You could mount the turbo up front and convert to blow through which would mean using a modified bank of carbs with pitot tubes to pressurize the float bowls but i'd just keep it simple as a draw through and use what you have.

Turbo for my KZ1000 14 Jul 2020 07:01 #830641

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1951
This might help

www.gpopshop.com/FAQ.html

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bent Trigger, Dragbike_Mike

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

Turbo for my KZ1000 14 Jul 2020 08:50 #830646

• Dragbike_Mike
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 103

Bent Trigger wrote: I also need help on the way the Impulse line is connected to the waste gate and such. Thanks Chris

That BHP waste gate is capable of being setup as a multi-stage unit. The screw on the end will set your basic level of boost. The airline fitting on the side, at the top, is where you feed in additional air pressure (from a remote air reservoir) to add to the spring pressure on your waste gate valve, thereby increasing boost. The other little fitting coming off on the side, closer to where the 'gate bolts on to the exhaust system, is just a vent, I *think*. To keep things simple, you can just run a fixed level of boost. Hope this helps.
Presently - 1980 KZ1000B4 LTD w/mild ported head, Megacycle cams, 1015cc Wiseco, Falicon Supercrank, R&D undercut trans
In a former life - KZ-based dragbike - CrMo car tire chassis, 1395cc, Hahn Racecraft turbo system, VP C16, Orient Express 3-spd auto, 7.80's @ 165-170.

Turbo for my KZ1000 14 Jul 2020 09:27 #830650

• Bent Trigger
  • User
Thanks for the insight guys. I'll be starting with about 5 PSI of boost, and see how hairy it is. Also that FAQ was interesting,and the polishing too. I figured it couldn't hurt to polish the housing scrolls internally. I've got a long way to go before I get this to a running stage. I'll keep ya updated. Thanks Chris