Some assembly required. 1996 Kawasaki GPz1100

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
29 Nov 2019 14:37 #814721 by SWest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2019 16:24 - 29 Nov 2019 16:32 #814726 by old_kaw
Replied by old_kaw on topic Some assembly required. 1996 Kawasaki GPz1100
Yes, I have a folder on my notebook with all of the pic files of the bike. It also contains the pdf manuals that sorrocco emailed me for this 96 GPZ. I need the ability to edit my posts to try to repair the posts. Bill has been in touch via private email. This is a major crash affecting the site's informational value. As often said, a picture is worth a thousand words.

I am preparing to disassemble the original engine case. No holes, and the rod is just loose, not through the side. Hopefully this crank can be fixed / saved on the cheap. :-)

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Nov 2019 16:32 by old_kaw. Reason: hmmmmm

More
06 Dec 2019 09:33 - 06 Dec 2019 11:55 #814984 by old_kaw
It looks like after uploading all of the missing attachment files to bill's google cloud folder, he and Anita have been clicking their fingers to the bone. (thanks Bill!) They restored no less than 50 missing attachments to my dead GPZ thread. To tell the truth, it is quite disheartening to find all of the pics missing. Kudo's to the KzR staffers!

Sooo.. I hope it's safe to continue to document my project with pics. And to tell the truth, the encouragement and comments is helpful in sorting out this basket case. I also listed the 6 speed for sale on kzr and on STL CL, along with on the zrxoa web site. I need to sell of some spares to finance the crankshaft repair. The zrxoa web site is a whole new ball game as far as posting pics., so I abandoned the pics only to ad a link to my CL ad.

My CL ad: stlouis.craigslist.org/mpo/7032729922.html

I finally disassembled the original engine that does >not< have custom ventilation. The bearings look worse than the parts donor engine. Also the same misalignment of the #3 main bearing insert. At least KHI was consistent. I can't believe QC let this slide! This whole lube oil system is a complicated mess!

The big end of the rod is still intact, but I am willing to bet is is wayyyy out of tolerance.

I tried to number stamp these rods, but that is some hard metal. I think I ruined my number stamps trying to number these rods.

The crank looks mucho better, yet still about .015"-.020" smaller (1.395") than the other 3 rod journals. (1.416") using my veneer calipers for measurements.

The down-stroke side of the journal.

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Last edit: 06 Dec 2019 11:55 by old_kaw. Reason: typo's

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
06 Dec 2019 09:55 #814986 by SWest
KZR is heavy on the pics. That's one of the best features of this site. To keep this from happening again Bill is looking into more space and how much it will cost. That's why the donations are so important.
Steve

More
06 Dec 2019 12:08 - 07 Dec 2019 08:14 #814994 by old_kaw
I agree on the donations Steve. This site is not self-sustaining from vendor advertising revenues. There are a few vendor ads, but not near enough. Bill has to be independently wealthy to pay for all the expenses involved with kzr. I must admit I haven't donated as much as I'd like to. This bike project, along with the free estimates / quotes don't pay so well.
More data space hogging pics to follow:
There must be 100 o-rings in these oil tubes, orifices and passages. Bottom view of the ZX oil pump / oil filter area with the pan removed. The #3 main bearing cap is pictured down inside the case with the J-tube still inserted in the feed hole. It is the one main bearing cap that does not attach to the lower case. It goes on before the lower case. this is also the main bearing that feeds the #3 and #4 rod bearings. I don't completely understand why the #3 rod shucks while the #4 rod lives on. Hmmm.

The oil pumps (plural) A gerotor pump is located on each end of the shaft that also drives the water pump on the drive end.

The crank from my ventilated engine. (has red paint on crank gear) #4 looks good in this motor too while #3 is totally screwed.

This is about the most beat up crank journal I have ever seen. It's no wonder the rod decided it no longer wanted to occupy the same space. OR, as they might say of it on a fleabay auction.. removed from a good running engine with a barely noticable "tick". :S

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Dec 2019 08:14 by old_kaw. Reason: typo's