Made a start on putting it back together, the wiring was a bit messy so I removed the black sticky tape and fitted braid finished with self-amalgamating tape. I spent a lot of time routing the wiring harness to make it look neat, I'm happy with the end result!
I did a bit more work on it today (Covid-19 lock-down is not all bad). I fitted the throttle cables and exhaust pipe, note the heat guards held in place with lock-wire to check placement. The guards are stainless steel and were cut by water-jet, I will bend a curve on the top and bottom and weld nuts on the pipes to fix them in place. Next job sort the rear fender.
As for the shocks... they look like the same aftermarket ones I had a few years ago. They are way too harsh for a 550, I can't imagine them on a 400. My friend put them on a 750 and they were harsh. I think they should be used on nothing lighter than a 1000. Like Texas said, they are way over sprung AND over damped.