Pookie wrote: I removed the forks yesterday to paint them satin black, I noticed the rubbers for the handlebar mounts were perished and cracked. As I did not know if I could get new ones I decided to print them one my 3D printer using a flexible filament, a quick bit of work on the PC had them designed and a hour or so on the printer and ready to fit.
Nice job! If for any reason they do not work as well as you hope, the factory parts are still available (at least in the U.S.) and are plenty cheap.
Starting to make progress now, I got the wheels back, the guy who rebuilt them removed the bearings and seals so I ordered new ones rather than put the old ones back in.
Once the bearing were fitted I put the wheels on to see how it looked with chunky tyres.
When I had the forks off to paint, them the upper fork legs had gone rusty from being in the headlamp mounts, so polished some 1.5" stainless tube and cut to length cover the upper forks, I think it makes the forks look beefier!
The new seat arrived so I cut the rear frame to mount a seat hoop. Think I may need to make a few changes to fit the rear mudgaurd?
Next job to sort the battery and fuse
I was right about the rear hoop, when the alloy mud-guards arrived the rear seat hoop is too low to allow enough clearance between the mud-guard and tire so I'm going to have to cut it off and put an up-swept hoop on.
For the front mud-guard I'm making a stainless steel fork brace similar to the standard one but with a bit more clearance and fitting a short alloy mud-guard.
Still looking for an up-swept rear seat hoop that will fit the frame, bought a few from China but the measurements are always way off, so might buy a tube bender and make one myself! In the meantime I have moved to the front end. I bought a LED headlight (also from China) that too was the wrong size! So the 3D printer came to the rescue. I designed a hoop to act as a transition piece to fit the chrome plated bezel and the LED light unit, then used epoxy glue to fix the LED unit to the transition piece.
I tried the LED light and it is much brighter than the standard one.
I finally got a rear seat hoop that's the right size, so fitted that, I'm pleased with it as I now have the clearance between the rear tyre and rear fender.. Next job sort the brackets for the seat and rear fender.
I have made a start on the exhaust pipes, this is one of the two silencers, all stainless steel with removable baffles so they can be repacked. I'm now awaiting gas for the tig welder as I forgot to turn off the back purge pipe and wasted a load of argon!