restoring 81 650 need guidance

More
28 Jun 2016 20:59 #733211 by ogowen
restoring 81 650 need guidance was created by ogowen
Bringing this hunk of metal sitting in my garage to a working machine. It was left to me half done and sitting for years. I have been working on carbs as a spare to the 80 something in my bike. Then figured to hell with it bring the whole thing back. Besides cleaning, honing the cylinders a bit and checking valves not sure what else or where to go. First time doing something like this so any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
28 Jun 2016 21:03 #733212 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic restoring 81 650 need guidance
Welcome, pics, need pics. Sometimes they are too far gone to restore. That's when a mod or cafe touch makes the most sense. :unsure:
Steve

More
28 Jun 2016 21:09 #733213 by ogowen
Replied by ogowen on topic restoring 81 650 need guidance
Trying to get pics up but " file size limit exceeded by this configuration"

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
28 Jun 2016 21:12 #733214 by SWest

More
28 Jun 2016 21:14 #733215 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic restoring 81 650 need guidance
How many miles are on it?
Is the bike a complete example or are you missing a lot?
What's the overall condition?
I am just this week wrapping up a '79 kz650-c3 resto. It's taken me about 3 months and cost about $1500 ish but mine was a basket case by most standards.
Anything is possible just a matter of whether you want to restore or resto-mod as Steve mentioned.
Pics would help for sure!
Welcome!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

More
28 Jun 2016 21:55 #733217 by ogowen
pics
Attachments:

More
28 Jun 2016 22:02 #733218 by ogowen
MORE
Attachments:

More
28 Jun 2016 22:04 #733219 by ogowen
and more
Attachments:

More
28 Jun 2016 22:12 #733220 by ogowen
bike is complete and was running now having issues with that and switched my attention to the spare motor. To get a run down of what is going on my brother about 7 years ago gave up on this bike after almost having it done and buying a spare bike which he sold the frame of leaving lots of spare parts for the complete bike. The complete bike when I began work had no carbs no coils and bad wiring. Also the boots for the carbs from engine were to big for both sets of carbs I found. I took the boots from the spare and put on bike, along with carbs from spare engine. Those carbs had vacuum port for petcock on it the one for the bike did not. It also doesn't have stock airbox has pods. I had it running decent then went to work on it and wont start now. I pulled spark plugs and they were dry. Frustrated I wanted to start fresh top to bottom make sure everything is gravy on this "spare" and most likely swap with current then do the same to it

More
28 Jun 2016 22:27 #733223 by ogowen
Also on bike that's not starting I should say not firing, the spark plugs have spark, petcock is letting gas out, carbs full of gas, choke 100%. Ran the day before

More
29 Jun 2016 04:11 #733224 by GPzMOD750
Replied by GPzMOD750 on topic restoring 81 650 need guidance
We'd like to see the complete bike.

It's much easier to view pics if you hit the "insert" button after you've added a file.

Get a factory service manual, It's a PIA to try to do more than basic maintenance without one. Check in the filebase tab to see if it is there or google it. If you can find a hard copy that is very helpful.

Your timing chain may have jumped a tooth check your timing chain, tensioner and cam timing marks. If you haven't checked the valve clearances that would be helpful too. You may have just been on the edge of not having compression one one or 2 cylinders last time you started it. A compression check would be helpful too.

Check to make sure your ignition timing wasn't knocked out of whack either. Gas is different these days so the timing marks may not always be the best place to set the timing. The timing on my bike is just a bit more advanced than the timing mark.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

More
29 Jun 2016 05:13 - 29 Jun 2016 05:24 #733227 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic restoring 81 650 need guidance
To clarify what's what, the jarlef z650 site has engine number & frame number info. and a pdf manual.
Photos of the carburetors would help. the 81 KZ650-CSR had VM24 carbs, while the 82-83 models had BS32s.
I'm assuming you're in the USA.
Last edit: 29 Jun 2016 05:24 by martin_csr.