• GasMoney
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KZ440 LTD
More
27 May 2016 20:45 #728897 by GasMoney
Getting started on my 1981 KZ440 Ltd. was created by GasMoney
Hey friends,
Decided to start a thread on the bike. A little background, it's been sitting out in the cold and wet for something like 7 years. Not ideal but it was the only way I could keep 'er. Now it's garaged and being shown some love. No more rats!

Attachment IMG_20160501_185436.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_20160321_183909.jpg not found

First order of business was having the carbs rebuilt (still not synced), new petcock, completely cleaned and recoated the inside of the fuel tank, new battery, redid the brakes. The nuts and bolts were like clay so I went through and replaced most of it. Learning a lot.
There was oil in the starter so I cleaned it up, rebuilt it and found out the magnet had cracked in half. I read that I could industrial epoxy it back together and it should be usable. Is this true? At any rate, I bought another one and it works great.
Took off the old shocks for some shiny ones I had laying around.

Attachment IMG_20160501_185509.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_20160501_185430.jpg not found

Now I'm trying to get it to idle properly. It sputters and I heard a pop or two. I saw a post where someone had rigged up two 1" chrome pod filters in place of the ever-elusive filter box setup. I thought that looked pretty cool so I'm about 90% done with installing that.

Attachment IMG_20160501_185031.jpg not found

As you may or may not see, the wiring is in pretty bad shape so that'll need to be addressed. I bought some led's for the front/back turn signals and tail light (which also has turn signals.) DC12v 32LED For the tail light, as you can see from the picture, it has wires for two turn signals, main brake, and running lights. The original tail light wiring is all good (no brake lamp indicator flashing here!).

Attachment taillight.JPG not found

I replaced the old flasher relay with a new one (CF12ANL 2 pin) that is compatible with LEDs.
I'd really like to have a decent amount of running lights but would like some input on what kind of trouble I might run into.
I read that I'll need a diode kit to stop "feedback" from burning out the leds or something to that effect. I don't know if that's for a single indicator light but I don't see how or where I would connect the diode y as my bike has a left and a right indicator light.

Attachment diodekit.JPG not found

Attachment TurnLampdiagram2.JPG not found

Attachment diodekitdiagram.JPG not found

Also, the turn signals I bought are two wire. What would the best way to make these double as running lights? Voltage: 12V; Wattage: 2.16W/bulb (0.18W/LED) 12 LEDs. I understand I'll need some resistors but I don't know the exact details on the wiring.

But am I crazy to want the additional turn signals to be running lights too?? Am I going to run into some problems here or can I just wire a y from the original lead? If anyone dares scribble up a diagram, I dare to use it.

So that's it for now. My goal for now is to get it running tight and have all the lights wired up correctly. Also, the clutch bar sinks right down to the handle. Have to fix that too. First thread, how'd I do? Enough pictures? Ok one more.

Attachment IMG_20160501_184912.jpg not found

- T
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2016 06:25 - 28 May 2016 06:29 #728939 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic Getting started on my 1981 KZ440 Ltd.
Nice 440 man!
Glad you were able to pull it in from the cold and give it some of that rare commodity - time :)

I did the same thing as you - I bought new replacement signal lights even though they do not include the so-called running light for the front side. Basically, they're all just rear signal lights.
I'm not extremely happy about it but I'm also way underwhelmed right now with used/original sellers on eBay so... I went with new.

With my 550 I was able to adapt an LED reflector into circuit. I has worked out great. See in the attachments

This got me thinking. I want to use these LED reflectors instead of the original reflectors on all my bikes. Definitely more visible and they flash with signals. I just ran the wires to parallel the front signals on each side.

I was looking at that LED strip you got too. I had an idea (don't know yet if it will work with the new signal-only light stems I just ordered) BUT, I was thinking of using that LED strip to run around the inside perimeter of the signal stem - right at the point the lens screws onto the bulb-holder/boldy so I could have "running lights" at all four corners.
It would be the exact same wiring as the reflectors - parallel the ground and running light wires into the bike's existing setup.

I've read on the forum here that LEDs present a problem for the older KZs because their charging systems were designed to provide an output wattage made to service the bike running. IE: there isn't an OFF or Trickle charging mode on the bike. Full tilt charging, 100% of the time. LEDs don't consume even 1/4 of the power of their ancient incandescent bulb brothers so the charging system ends up overheating...
Thus, my thoughts have always been to add LED lighting to existing but not out-right replacement with. Hopefully I'm not wrong in this understanding.

Good luck with your restoration. A super nice looking example and will always be my favorite KZ.
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 May 2016 06:29 by wrenchmonkey. Reason: reduce picture size

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
28 May 2016 07:35 - 28 May 2016 07:39 #728950 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Getting started on my 1981 KZ440 Ltd.
Z1's didn't have running lights so I bought these at Z1E. Due to the extra load I went LED's.
www.z1enterprises.com/product/KS25-2195

For my top box I got LED arrows so I could have running lights, brake lights and turn signals.
Went with a HID headlight too. All the light were over taxing the system. I replaced everything, all good now.
www.z1enterprises.com/product/KS25-2195

Steve
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 May 2016 07:39 by SWest.

More
28 May 2016 16:35 #729013 by GPzMOD750
Replied by GPzMOD750 on topic Getting started on my 1981 KZ440 Ltd.
Just would like to point out that those LED tail light sets aren't DOT approved. If you live in an area where they are uptight about that you will be installing something else anyway.

There isn't much concern for DOT or local equipment laws around here and you see all kinds of stuff but if you run across a cop or inspection station that decides to blow the dust of the regs book it's a PIA scrambling to get your vehicle registered or worse avoid a fine and/or impound.

• GasMoney
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KZ440 LTD
More
03 Sep 2016 23:42 - 03 Sep 2016 23:44 #741032 by GasMoney
Replied by GasMoney on topic Getting started on my 1981 KZ440 Ltd.
Far from where it needs to be but I'm learning a lot about this bike and love riding it.
Got a ton of rust off with arm and hammer toothpaste! :P

Attachment Kawasaki440ltd.jpg not found

I took out the side reflectors and put in some more turn signal indicator lights. I had to sit there and file out the old screw holes because the new lights were slightly bigger.
The lights came with three wires for the option of a half-brightness (running light) but I thought that might be a little much. These things are really bright. Check them out in comparison to the back signals.

Attachment 20160903_213039.jpg not found

They're white in color when not lit up which makes them subtle.

Attachment 20160827_102953.jpg not found

Replaced a bunch of the old wiring and cables. Need to replace the headlamp bucket. I don't know what I'm going to do about the tail end of it. If I do some cutting away I can get the non-DOT approved LED tail light looking good on there but then the plate placement becomes an issue. I do live in an area where they're very uptight about vehicle regulations but I''m not too worried about getting a fix-it ticket on the tail light because I don't plan on riding it on these busy streets too often.
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Sep 2016 23:44 by GasMoney.