1982 Gpz 750 R1

More
29 Mar 2016 17:07 #718091 by Shimmy
Replied by Shimmy on topic 1982 Gpz 750 R1
I had a problem with running on fewer cylinders when the bike was warmed up, mostly at or near a stop, and in my case the issue was the pickup coils. The manual should have the method for testing yours; should just take a couple minutes and a multimeter.

1980 KZ750 LTD
Edmonton, Alberta

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2016 19:07 #718120 by tri650
Replied by tri650 on topic 1982 Gpz 750 R1
I found the tests and also a few youtube video's for testing. I guess this will be the first line of testing. I was planning on doing it tonight and started to take the tank off by putting the petcock on Res - and gas kept coming out of the petcock after I took off the line. I just rebuilt this thing last week. Guess I will take it off and see what happened. Seems I take 1 step forward and 1 step back with this bike. Oh well, I have all summer.

More
10 Apr 2016 16:58 #720226 by tri650
Replied by tri650 on topic 1982 Gpz 750 R1
Quick update. After tearing into the carb, petcock, new plugs, gas cap, etc., I was still running into the bike stumbling and running like crap. I had gone through everything multiple times. Ordered new coils and plug wires. Got rid of the K&L petcock rebuild kit as it was junk and the parts did not fit. I took it out for a ride on Friday and still got the stumbling and at one point I had the throttle pinned and it would only do 35 mph. I was about home when it suddenly started to pick up. I kept going and put on about 30 miles without any problems. Saturday I put about 70 miles on it. Slight stumble off of idle which I resolved with another 1/4 turn on the pilot screw.

Took out today and same result - now runs like a scalded cat. I have no idea what magically fixed itself but it is running great. Starts up, holds idle. Now onto the finishing touches.

Still looking for a front fairing.