Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1982 KZ1000p project progress 08 Dec 2015 09:11 #702407

• blakeem
  • blakeem's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
It has been a while since I had an update, here's what I've been working on.

These will work nicely to keep all the wiring nice and clean. I think they are usually used on boats.

I'm still messing with where to mount everything.

I threw the bike together to get an idea for the seat. The foot controls are in the perfect location. I know, the forks are on backwards :whistle:

Good news about the gauges, the speed sensor I got with it fits! It's actually converts it into an electrical signal that plugs into the gauges.

I wanted to keep steering lock so I'm keeping the keyed ignition.

I created a bracket out of cardboard.

It still needs some finishing but I'm happy with it.

Here's how it looks with all the new hand controls. I think these are from a GSXR, I just know they were free and look nice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by blakeem.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 15 Mar 2016 11:33 #715545

• blakeem
  • User
I recently moved into a new house with my girlfriend. It has a 2 car garage that I set up into a dedicated workshop with a bunch of work benches, peg boards, etc. We also have a 3rd single car garage next to the 2 car garage that's purely for storage and I'll probably set it up for painting. I suspect I'll fill it with more motorcycles in the future.

I recently got a big raise at work and a switch to salary so things are going great and it's the perfect time to get back to the kz.

So far I stripped off everything from the harness that's required for running the engine. I have one thing I'm not sure about, maybe someone here can help me.

The igniter has 4 wires that run through each side of this self canceling turn signal unit. The other wires run to the coils as expected. Why does the igniter connect to the self canceling turn signal unit? Is this used to estimate travel distance for the self canceling signals?

Is it fine to just remove this unit without any other changes? It doesn't look like it's used by anything else.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 15 Mar 2016 19:25 #715612

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2633
Good to see you're back to it.
Steve

1982 KZ1000p project progress 17 Mar 2016 07:59 #715831

• Ed_in_Miami
  • User
  • Thank you received: 46
Blake, the igniter, and the turn signals are separate circuits.
You may be looking at shared grounds/power cables.
This is my build:
kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/600312-ano...rtment-build?start=0
There are many more like it, but this one is mine... news to come!

1982 KZ1000p project progress 17 Mar 2016 11:48 #715851

• blakeem
  • User

Ed_in_Miami wrote: Blake, the igniter, and the turn signals are separate circuits.
You may be looking at shared grounds/power cables.

I see my problem, it should have been obvious. The "Pulser" should be plugged in here rather than the self canceling turn signal unit. I think the pulser is with the engine at the shop so I was confused because it had the same plug.

I'll start on the ignition next and build from there, I also need to find some connectors for these GSXR controls. Hopefully I will make some good progress this weekend.

-Blake

1982 KZ1000p project progress 20 Jul 2016 13:13 #735603

• blakeem
  • User
It has been a while since my last update. I got yet another motorcycle (2001 Honda VFR800) so this was a bit of a distraction. I had a motorcycle accident about a month ago, a lady in a Toyota Prius made an illegal u-turn from a parking spot right in front of me and I went into her driver side door. This was on my SV650 so her insurance is dealing with that.

I broke my right collarbone really bad (about 3 cm overlap) and had to have a plate put in. I'm finally back to work. I spent many hours of my weeks off working on the KZ and I've made a lot of good progress.

A lot of this is temporarily so I can get everything mounted, once it's all running I can start cleaning everything up. Since my SV650 is smashed up I took out my antigravity battery to use on the KZ. I had some spare aluminum plate and got some bolts that were perfect length for the battery. I put some rubber weather stripping on the top and bottom of the battery. Eventually this will probably be mounted under the swingarm or something, but this works for now.

I had this brand new MSR lever laying around and it fit perfect.

Now the brake lever and master cylinder looks like junk so I stripped all the paint off it, looks better but I may swap it out or paint it at some point.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 20 Jul 2016 13:13 #735604

• blakeem
  • User
My friends shop had an older GSXR 600 wiring harness laying around that I got off him for $20. This had the hand controls and rear brake lever connectors as well as some extra wires that I needed.

I very loosely wired everything up and it all works! I hooked up the ignition, m-unit, and m-button. Turn signals, headlight, gauges, horn, blinkers, brakes, starter, etc. I configured the m-unit to work for Japanese bikes, this allowed the GSXR controls to function as expected.

Key off.

Key on.
The tank fuel sensor is hooked up (tank is upside down to read full fuel). The speed sensor works as you can see by the 0.03 miles. The turn signals and headlights are the only gauge lights hooked up so far. The "!" goes on when the fuel gets low.

The m-button is awesome, makes wiring so easy. I'm going to hide it in the headlight.

After everything tested good I started running the final wires for the harness. Here is the main harness that handles only the hand controls and sending power to lights/horn/etc. All the ignition and engine related stuff will be run separately.

Here are the basics of how I did the wiring.
The top terminal bus bar is for ground (black wires) and the bottom is for AUX (brown wires, positive when ignition is turned on). The red wires are for always on positive, this is only used for the ignition and to display the clock on the gauges. Everything connected to a switch has dedicated power running from the m-unit. All hand controls use the m-button besides the engine cut off switch and the rear brake that use a direct line into the m-unit.

Once I finish this I can start on the engine related wiring.

The shop is shipping the engine head to the APE Machine Shop since they are very close by San Diego and should do great work. The engine should start getting built soon.

Last edit: by blakeem.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 20 Jul 2016 13:32 #735605

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Good to hear from you Blake. Sorry about the accident. I broke my collar bone in my 20's. Man it hurt and I had to ride home.
Looking forward to your build.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: blakeem

1982 KZ1000p project progress 21 Jul 2016 08:01 #735733

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
nice progress.
that motogadget stuff is really nice.i have two m-units for two different projects.one of the projects is a 70cb750k i bought the motogadget wiring harness kit.it was more expensive than your gixxer harness but i didn't have buddy with one laying around :lol: .

i too have wrecked and broken my collarbone(in 2 places and separated it form my shoulder :sick: )and like steve had to ride home.only thing was i had to ride my buddies h-d dyna that i had never ridin.
and,
i had to ride 30miles home .while he rode my mangled z1r.
no fun glad you are mended and getting some work done.

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

1982 KZ1000p project progress 21 Jul 2016 10:51 #735744

• blakeem
  • User
Separated collarbone looks painful, I was lucky that my break was right in the middle, it was just way too short with a lot of space between each end. I got taken in by an ambulance, no way I would have been able to ride, my arm was collapsed on itself and I nearly passed out during the x-rays.

My goal is to have the bike ready for the engine by the time I can ride again, this gives me a little over a month to finish the wiring and paint the frame. I've been terrible with goals so far but the my friend is selling his shop so I have limited time to get it finished.

I have the motogadget wiring harness kit as well. Since the wiring harness kit, the gauges, and the KZ1000p manual all have wiring diagrams I didn't need to make my own. I just matched the colors in the diagrams. Getting the GSXR harness was the best thing I could have done, much easier and cheaper than buying only the connectors.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 22 Jul 2016 05:39 #735813

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
i did pass out when mine broke.when i woke up laying in the street with my bike pinning my leg and got free i thought i was gonna just grab my bike and lift it up :sick: almost passed out again :whistle:

moto gadget really modernises the elctronics on these old bikes,really cool stuff.

keep us posted,

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

1982 KZ1000p project progress 22 Jul 2016 07:08 #735831

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
There wasn't really much they could do for mine. Put me in a brace and I could feel a chip sticking out for years. 40 years later it still has a slight bend to it. The chip has long since grown over. They are supposed to be more pliable than other bones. That taught me not to jump through grease wood bushes. The bike stopped and I did the flying W. Tucked in too kate and landed on my shoulder. The bike came rolling up to me and fell the other way. Kawasaki 175. It wasn't her fault, I was being a MORON. Cried all the way home. :(
Steve