Kzz1p - 1075 Project

• kzz1p
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • One Test Is Worth A Thousand Expert Opinions!
More
07 Feb 2012 08:41 #502510 by kzz1p
Kzz1p - 1075 Project was created by kzz1p
I wanted to start a thread for my build. It is a 1978 Kz1000, basket case.

I am attempting to build a 1075 motor for my bike.

I haven't gotten very far yet, there are still a few things, I haven't figured out yet.

I will be using 9:1 turbo pistons, made by MTC. I will be using big Cams, big Carbs, and whatever I can do, to the Head myself.

I am still trying to get together, all the specialty tools, that I need for the job.

I really don't know how to start a build thread, I do have a lot of pictures. I have a parts list, and a To-Do list.

I am using a very limited amount of tools, I find this to be a real setback, at this point.

I have been surprised by the amount of knowledge, I have already gained in this project.

I can only dream of the day, I take my bike to the Dyno. I have high hopes, for big Dyno numbers.

I have talked to family, friends and strangers. I have asked for any tips or tricks, they could give me for my build. I have received a lot helpful information from others. Most people have treated me with kindness, love and respect. What more could I ask for? Life is pretty sweet, sometimes.

It is now after 3:30am and I have posted enough for today. I am really pumped about this bike, it's hard to sleep at times.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
07 Feb 2012 10:39 #502526 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Kzz1p - 1075 Project
Welcome back stranger.

Project threads are my favorite. I know that you know how to post pictures, so let's see this basket case. Are you planning to build a turbo motor with those 9:1 pistons, or? Ratfink theme?

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
07 Feb 2012 10:58 #502531 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Kzz1p - 1075 Project
It's nice to seem some of the old guard back on the forum from time to time. B)

We're excited too.

• kzz1p
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Feb 2012 02:17 #502737 by kzz1p
Replied by kzz1p on topic Kzz1p - 1075 Project
Attachments:

More
08 Feb 2012 12:26 #502782 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Kzz1p - 1075 Project
just throw your steak on the table,get them pics posted,the project thread will work itself out :lol: .

keep us posted,i can't wait to follow along.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
08 Feb 2012 13:46 #502792 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Kzz1p - 1075 Project
I'm not sure why (well, maybe it's my stupidity at play again) but that chart tells me nothing. What's it listing? :unsure:

More
08 Feb 2012 17:45 #502825 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Kzz1p - 1075 Project

DoubleDub wrote: I'm not sure why (well, maybe it's my stupidity at play again) but that chart tells me nothing. What's it listing? :unsure:

I printed that chart and layed it on the floor, but it was still over my head. :blink:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
08 Feb 2012 18:18 #502830 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Kzz1p - 1075 Project
Unfortunately we cant see enough detail in your chart to make it out.

it is often said that building a motor is all about the combo of part u have .
the parts must compliment each other for the task at hand.
when u were getting all of this loving advice about the build from your friends, did u talk about how these components will compliment each other ?
u mentioned getting hi #’s on the dyno. Looking at your general combo, u seam to have 1 component that will work against your quest for big dyno #’s..
9.1 pistons are not normaly run with big cams. They would not compliment each other. They are usual run with small cams and turbo’s. big cams need the support of higher compression to maintain bottom end torque.
This is not a knock against your plan, just an observation.
Let the pic’s roll.
:)

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• kzz1p
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Feb 2012 03:27 #502929 by kzz1p
Sorry Ed

I will explain as I go, I'm not stalling you....I promise.

• kzz1p
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Feb 2012 04:28 - 09 Feb 2012 05:58 #502932 by kzz1p
I like to read articles about motor builds. I like when they share their thoughts. How they picked there parts and why? I like to hear about what they have learned over the years. I don't like it when they work in mega shops, with all the CNC stuff. I have read two articles that really draw me in to the whole story. I loved every minute of it.

I always wanted my build thread to be a good one, that we all could learn from. I have learned so much, and I'm just starting.

I like to know about the builders. I bet a day at home with Byron Hines would suck....Now, a day at the shop?...I'm In!

I haven't wanted to talk about me. I have wanted to skip that part. I wouldn't want anybody to know that I have tears running down my face right now. I don't want others to know my shame and guilt.
I don't want people to know the hurt, I have carried around inside myself.

I have posted many times, about these bikes. Most people blow me off, because I don't have one running. When I talk about things I've seen, people ask where's the video.....Kinda like I'm some dork, or something? When I have posted things like...I owned 20 Z1 at one time, people gave me crap.

I have never lied on this site, not one time.
I did work in Bike shops.
I did work for myself.
I did build many street race Z1 motors.
I did own over 20, z's at one time.

What happened to this guy? where did he go? some said he died. Some said he went crazy. And some said he was a dirtbag that left in shame. I say he was all the above and more. He ended up the kinda guy, that made his mother cry, everytime she looked at him.

One day I closed the door and an hour later, I was a Meth Junkie. I traded my soul, my dauther and everything and everyone. I tried to kill myself, for three years. On day I went into treatment for a year. I couldn't stay away from a drug, that hurt so good. I went back for another year.

After that I kept walking away. I stayed away from my friends, bikes and anything that reminded me of my skills. I have been broken inside for many years. Sometimes I knew it and sometimes I didn't. Z's were on my mind every day, for all these years. Every day, my failures eating at me.

I have had this bike three years. I couldn't look at it most of the time. As I work on it now, I am an emotional wreck at times. Sometimes hindsight, beats me down. I know how to ride these things out, it just takes me time. I have days when my face hurts so much from smiling or laughing. I remember those good feelings, when the bad times come and go.

I have a lot of friends and family, all around me. I'm not going through all this alone, no matter how I feel at times.

I thought this bike would bring me full circle, the 1st. time I turned on the key. I can see it coming full circle, but much faster then I thought.....I don't know where it's all heading, this could be, the highway to hell?

I know that the past is history. I hurt others, and I am responsible. I have been a good person and helped others, for many years now. I haven't balanced the scale yet.

That's all I want to say for now.

PS- I'm trying to get my pics ready, I'm the hold up. Here's a couple to think about for now.

Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Feb 2012 05:58 by kzz1p.

• kzz1p
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Feb 2012 08:29 #502955 by kzz1p

mark1122 wrote: Unfortunately we cant see enough detail in your chart to make it out.

it is often said that building a motor is all about the combo of part u have .
the parts must compliment each other for the task at hand.
when u were getting all of this loving advice about the build from your friends, did u talk about how these components will compliment each other ?
u mentioned getting hi #’s on the dyno. Looking at your general combo, u seam to have 1 component that will work against your quest for big dyno #’s..
9.1 pistons are not normally run with big cams. They would not compliment each other. They are usual run with small cams and turbo’s. big cams need the support of higher compression to maintain bottom end torque.
This is not a knock against your plan, just an observation.
Let the pic’s roll.
:)

Mark

I wrote you a response, I guess it didn't post.

Were you voted, guy to take the first arrows? Don't you know by now, I bring at least two guns, to a gun fight.

You saw 9:1 and draw a picture in your mind. You thought, how could a motor with low CR produce power?

One of the tricks of this motor is, it uses a 9:1 piston, running at a static CR of 11.5:1

The real question is, what kinda cylinder pressure does it have? How much pressure can you run on pump gas (91 octane California unleaded) I think this is where my friends start to enter the picture. Does the motor have any kick, to back up those BIG cams?

Those turbo pistons with the extra thick (.200"+) domes with valve pockets? Turbo race bikes use high compression + a lot of boost.(that's a secret, don't tell anyone) Turbo pistons come with a lower then advertised, CR.

Advise from friends? It was loving and very kind. Perhaps Me and Nads, hang out with the same people. Here I have a funny one for you! Maybe I'm a nice guy with some intelligence and a good mechanic. Maybe builders around the world enjoy talking to me. Maybe, every once in a while, others learn from me......No that's just a joke, I think? I took that part of your question as a little, rude. This is a build thread, not a pick someone apart thread. When I seek help, I start at the top and work down. I would of asked,........who are you friends with?

Let's move on to the Big Cams.....Let me change that....BIG CAMS!
We are not going to talk a lot about my cams or cylinder pressure. I will not talk about the valve timing events. I will say they are dual pattern with 112 centers. They are a prototype grind, number #I-69 by ©VKP.

And I do have, a coil mod or two.

I have planned to share, 80 percent of my build in this thread.

NOTE- Please bare in mind, this is a bracket race motor. Other people would be stupid, stupid to fallow my example. This motor is for R&D only.

I will tell you about the history of that Chart. I made it for my 1075 motor. Here's what I did. I took every motor that I could remember....I took every build that is posted here on this site...I did a lot of reverse eng. on every motor. I use online stuff as well as, simple math. I paid close attention to the cams! Then I looked at all the cams on the market, past and present.

Now I was starting to see some patterns. The charts have the compression ratio across the top.
Down the left side it has when your intake valve closes.(That chart is one small page, of my charts)
With online help I did each calculation for every CR and most intake valve closings.

then I had piles of notes and data. I typed it, but it made no sense. Once I made the charts and all that work. I found my answer in seconds on the chart. On this project I have spent days and weeks waiting for numbers. Math is only a tool too put you in the ball park (That's good, just get me near the park, I can walk from there)

I made that little chart late one night. I don't need them anymore...If,If I have time later, I may redo them for others. I would photograph my chart, it has the better end of the scale....But then you would see all my stuff, written in sharpee on it. Maybe I can re-size it?

My opinion from my charts....90 percent of the cams on the market today for Z's, risk melt down at prolonged high speed use. What does that mean? Anything over 1/4 mile and you may be coasting home.

Hey Mark, when I had my data complete....I found "friends" with data. On a serious note! Some people would get pissed, if their names were on these boards. Some really really hate forums. And I made a new friend or two because, because of their hate. It worked out great for me, people on the sites got cheated.

Mark, now what kinda feelings, you getting about this build now?

I set big dyno numbers, so I would work extra hard. I try to find all the dyno charts that I can. The numbers are all over the place...When I look at the builds, I understand why their numbers are low. Everyone picks their own build, and everyone picks the dyno numbers that they believe.

I have believed the dyno numbers, of one our members here. He is a weekend racer, that spends all his money on bikes. People treat him like he knows nothing at times, or never posted at all. And really his numbers are only a little shy, of the old Yosh bikes. That guy is, Timmy the Timebomb.

Mark do you see where this motor, is headed yet? God I love this stuff. Wait until I come out of my shell, and get back in the swing of things. Can you tell, I was doing my home work, while everyone was playing around in chit chat. We haven't made it to the electronics, shift unit, (2)rev limiters, the lightened electrical system, crankcase ventilation, custom built windage tray. This is only day two....We have a lot of time.

My lucky number is 4070. That is an important number in this build. I will explain later so we can all laugh. All of my projects come with a long story. When I am done, I tell the story and everyone laughs so hard. It's funny and all that, butt I don't laugh, I think of all the hard work, it took.

• rslingshot
  • Banned
  • Because stock SUCKS!!!!!!
More
09 Feb 2012 08:30 #502956 by rslingshot
Replied by rslingshot on topic Kzz1p - 1075 Project
I have read this post twice, and all I can say is awsome! Good luck I wish you nothing but success.

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/390747-1977-kz1000-new-life
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2004 Gsx-r 750
78 kz1000 basket case
81 yamaha xs 650 basket case