Otto's garage thread

More
15 Sep 2011 05:51 #476990 by Mookachacka
Otto's garage thread was created by Mookachacka
I've decided to start this thread, mostly as a way for me to start documenting what I do to my bikes, which is always good to later on when trying to remeber what those valve cleranses were set at and so on. Also it could be a pushet to get me to do some spanner throing every day, at least spending a minute or two doing something....

When first posting I had just bought a KZ1000J (the European model, seeing how i live in Sweden), and half a year later I bought a KZ1000R(2) that I wanted to do some work on. I've since sold the KZ1000J, but kept the Z1000R. It's mostly that bike, the Z1000R, I'm going to be posting about. But work on my other 5 bikes, all Yamaha, might slip in. Those bikes are (if anyone would find that intresting) the following: TT600 (1987), XS650 (1975), SRX-6 (1986), XZ550 Vision (1982) and a Yamaha TR1 XV1000 (1983). All old bikes! I had a KTM 660 SMC a couple of months, but that hing would have gotten me in trouble if I kept it....to fast, to agile, to good handling! :p

My goal is to have the KZ road worthy to the spring, and before that go through the top of the motor, getting another set of carbs, getting a kerker 4-1, slapping some paint and decals on there, and mybe some paint on other parts of the bike. Nothing fancy like monoshock converting or something of similar intrest.

I'm thinking of getting a rack of Mikuni RS36, since I'm gussing that the stock carbs would need a teardown, and mybe replacing of some diaphragms, rubber from carbs to air box, and so on...so buying a set of RS36 and running pods will simplify things....maybe not the setting up though.

I've also been looking to by a new set of cams to give the bike an additional push, been looking at Web Cam's 118 since it doens't require any valve mods and works with stock pistons...also been looking at megacycles offers but doesn't seem like I can order from the via the internet or E-mail...and it seems like a hassle to call them from Europe.

Other then that I might to a powder coating of the frame, think I can get it done for about 100-150 dollars, dunno if thats expensive or about what it would cost anywhere. But havn't had it done on anything of my own yet so would like to see the results.

Well, if I just get started with things and get some momentum I'm hoping to get stuff done this fall/winter/spring, at least that's the plan.

I'm going applogising for my english at an early stage, seeing how it's not my native language I'm sure that theres incorrect spelling and grammar issues in every sentence, but I'm hoping you can look past that! :)

I'm hoping to upload some pictures and every thred update I do, since I my self think it's rather boring just reading a wall of text. The exeption would be this first post :p hehe

That's all for now!

/ Otto

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
15 Sep 2011 05:55 #476991 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Otto's garage thread
B) B) B) B) B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
15 Sep 2011 07:48 - 15 Sep 2011 07:55 #476997 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Otto's garage thread
Sounds good Otto...we are looking forward to photographs!...and don't apologize about your English...most native English speakers only have a rudimentary grasp of their native language.

So, do you have the Euro 1000R or the North American 1000R? They do differ, slightly. Are you a member of www.kz1000r.com ?

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Last edit: 15 Sep 2011 07:55 by Mcdroid. Reason: clarity

More
15 Sep 2011 08:13 #476999 by jonnybravo
Replied by jonnybravo on topic Otto's garage thread
WELCOME
+1 on the english, most of these idiots have to look inside their underwear to spell their names correctly so dont sweat it
the Web Cams are a good choice, as well

More
15 Sep 2011 09:09 - 15 Sep 2011 09:09 #477002 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Otto's garage thread
Welcome...
Powder coat @ $100-$150 is cheap compared to Arizona so golden there...

As for your English and grammar... Have you read some of our crap???? :whistle:
Search NADS replies, holly smokes.... :S
Search BS34 carbs, OIL/additives, coil mod.... :pinch:

And there's Plumi, Uhmmm, only has a 3rd grade education.... :pinch: but that is exceptional for his bloodline.... :blink:

Start a project post and we LUV images here... Post away pre & post accomplishments.... B)

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 15 Sep 2011 09:09 by Old Man Rock.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
15 Sep 2011 11:22 #477020 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Otto's garage thread

Old Man Rock wrote: Welcome...
Powder coat @ $100-$150 is cheap compared to Arizona so golden there...

As for your English and grammar... Have you read some of our crap???? :whistle:
Search NADS replies, holly smokes.... :S
Search BS34 carbs, OIL/additives, coil mod.... :pinch:

And there's Plumi, Uhmmm, only has a 3rd grade education.... :pinch: but that is exceptional for his bloodline.... :blink:

Start a project post and we LUV images here... Post away pre & post accomplishments.... B)

OMR

ma says suppers ready pa! :sick: :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
15 Sep 2011 12:16 #477034 by peter1958
Replied by peter1958 on topic Otto's garage thread
Christ i thought this was going to be a lecture on OIl :evil:

More
15 Sep 2011 15:31 - 15 Sep 2011 17:12 #477060 by Mookachacka
Replied by Mookachacka on topic Otto's garage thread
McDriod: It's the Z1000R(2) Euro modell, it cam with the polar (?) white paint and the 4-2 Kawa exhaust system, dunno what more differed compared to the US modell. It has some sort of dark green metalic ugly paint on it now, but that will be changed given time, and money ;)

jonnybravo: Yeah seams that the 118 is a good choice, don't want to make a dragster...just want a little more "oomph" ten stock. Also thinking about the Dyna 2000 ignition, so I can play around with the ignition curves...out lowest octane fuel here in Sweden is 95, otherwise it's 98/100 or E85 (85% ethanol :ohmy: )

Old Man Rock: Yeah I've seen some of NADS posts when searching for carb info, he seems, hmmm...special? :lol:

Well, living in Sweden means at this time of the day, 19:56 (that's 7:56 PM) it's dark outside, so I've done my garage run for today.

Attachment vind1.jpg not found

Went up the attic and patted the Z1000R, and that was the amount of love it got today! My -87 yamaha TT600 got some more lov today, with some brand new "mono cross" srickers for the swing. Seeing how I've planed to ride i all winter through the snow and blizzards it needs all the attention I can give it :laugh:

Attachment TT600monocross.jpg not found

My brother came by and changed his rear view mirror on his -90 Yamaha TT600...yeah and my dad got -87 TT600 as well...it runs in the family? :P

Attachment TT600x3.jpg not found

Wen't through some pictures this evening, since I'm gonna send som pics of the Z1000R to a guy to get a price estimate for painting it, and found some pictures of the Z1000R on the vacation through Europe I went on this summer with my dad, brother and a friend of my dads. I had only ridden the Z1000R a couple of meters before starting to get it ready for the vacation, 2 days in advance. The day before our departure I noticed that it was missing a MOT (?) so had to take the first avaible time, which was 4 hours befor the ferry departed to Germany :ohmy: But it passed...and we got on our way. But first thing that happend when we was driving of the ferry in Germany was that the throttle cable snapped, and left me stranded on the boat. had to push it for almost a mile, in about 90 degrees with full gear on, untill I catched up with the others :( Other then that it was great fun, riding through Germany, then Austria, staying in Italy a couple of days, then going down to Croatia for another couple of days and the riding home. The Z1000R held up all the whole trip! :laugh:

Attachment Italienbergsby.jpg not found

Somewhere in a small village in nort Italy, close to lake Garda.

Attachment Autobhanstop.jpg not found

Just of Autobahn in Germany.

Attachment kopplingsvajer.jpg not found

Down time when my dad wen't in to Lübeck in Germany to find a replacement throttle cable.

Attachment Bikerspoint.jpg not found

Up on Grossglockner hoch alpenstrasse, Europes highest (altitude) public road.

Well it's about time that I give the bike some love, and so it shall! Little by little.
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Sep 2011 17:12 by Mookachacka. Reason: hopefully fixing pictures

More
15 Sep 2011 15:37 #477064 by Mookachacka
Replied by Mookachacka on topic Otto's garage thread
I got some crappy as internets out here in the woods, so I'll try and upload some pictures tomorrow instead! over and out.

/Otto

More
15 Sep 2011 15:58 #477071 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic Otto's garage thread
Welcome Otto! Man after reading your last post I'm jonesing to see some of those pictures. Especially the ones of your trip through Europe. Hope you get your internet connection straightened out. It has always been my dream to do a motorcycle trip through Europe. Wanted at least 1 to 2 months to do it. Maybe someday. But for now, I have do it vicariously through others who have. So please upload some photo's.

Joe

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

More
15 Sep 2011 16:07 #477072 by Chaotic Reason
Replied by Chaotic Reason on topic Otto's garage thread
Very cool Otto. Looking forward to reading more.
About the pictures... Sometimes they are too big to load. I think 2 megs is the max picture size. And if you have slow Internet, it should speed things up there as well.

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

More
15 Sep 2011 16:35 #477083 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Otto's garage thread
Might try these limits when posting pics:
Width: 2400px
Height: 1200px
Size: 2048kb (2 MB)

Attachment picpostnewsite.jpg not found

Good Fortune!:)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments: