Otto's garage thread

More
15 Sep 2011 17:26 #477087 by Mookachacka
Replied by Mookachacka on topic Otto's garage thread
Thanks Patton! Got i sorted.

I appologise fo the bad quality of some of the pictures, these is just some of the ones I took with my phone...got better ones from my DSLR camera, will mostly use that one henceforth, and might upload some more euro-trip pics from that one.

This is my XS650 that I might do some work on this winter to, depends on the other projects and so on....

Attachment xs650vedhg.jpg not found

And here is my Yamaha TR1, gonna tear down the top of the engine and check specs etc...but gonna ride it a month or two more.

Attachment TR1uteplats.jpg not found

And here's my kawasaki Z1000J that I sold a couple of months ago...miss it1 :(

Attachment Z1000j.jpg not found

Godnight.
/Otto
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2011 07:22 #477217 by Mookachacka
I think this months buy will be the Dyna 2000 with coils and cables, installing that in starting to go through the engine to see if I need to get some new piston rings and what not.

Pondering about if the RS36 be to big for me, if I'll keep the stock displacement size. Maybe the RS34 are the way to go....

So if I get the ignition this month I'll try and save up some bucks for the carb next month, and in december I could by the cams and maybe the kerker exhaust, or I'll try and make the kerker happen i january or so.

The engine have about 27k miles on it, so hopefully the pistions will be within spec...the valve clerance checking isn't du untill I get the cam I guess. Might just try and start to tear it down and organize the parts while I got the time and not the money for all the parts :P

/Otto

More
16 Sep 2011 07:51 #477218 by gpzrocker
Replied by gpzrocker on topic Otto's garage thread
Vision pics please, see it is with the fairing installed. The coolest bike I have ever owned, lots of stories. That is the bike I miss the most.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
16 Sep 2011 08:04 #477220 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Otto's garage thread

peter1958 wrote: Christ i thought this was going to be a lecture on OIl :evil:

me too! :laugh:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
16 Sep 2011 08:45 #477223 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Otto's garage thread
Thanks you for posting the pictures. We like to see other parts of the world. roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
16 Sep 2011 11:16 - 16 Sep 2011 11:17 #477257 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Otto's garage thread
Nice bikes Otto! Especially that XS650. I had a 1977 that I gave me many many great memories. Not that it matters much, but I'm thinking yours has a later model front end on it. My '77 only had one front disc, and I'm not sure, but I think I remember that the ribbed front wheel didn't come on them til '76 or '77.
I'm looking for another one, but every one that I've seen around here has been chopped or hard tailed or just plain wore out.
One of my best memories was when my girlfriend decided to start an argument with me while we were riding. I told her to shut up, and she replied by taking off the new top I'd just bought her and throwing it along the highway. Right in front a highway patrol car. And of course, she was braless :ohmy:
Yeah, I got the ticket. :pinch:
Last edit: 16 Sep 2011 11:17 by riverroad.

More
16 Sep 2011 12:57 #477276 by Mookachacka

riverroad wrote: Nice bikes Otto! Especially that XS650. I had a 1977 that I gave me many many great memories. Not that it matters much, but I'm thinking yours has a later model front end on it. My '77 only had one front disc, and I'm not sure, but I think I remember that the ribbed front wheel didn't come on them til '76 or '77.
I'm looking for another one, but every one that I've seen around here has been chopped or hard tailed or just plain wore out.
One of my best memories was when my girlfriend decided to start an argument with me while we were riding. I told her to shut up, and she replied by taking off the new top I'd just bought her and throwing it along the highway. Right in front a highway patrol car. And of course, she was braless :ohmy:
Yeah, I got the ticket. :pinch:

Braless is the way to go!

Yeah I've figured out that some of the things on it isn't stock, the front end might just be from a newer model as you say. I know the tank and the side panels are from an older XS2, the rear wheel isn't the right size either.

I might café racer style it later on, since it that will almost require less work then to get it stock. But as you say it's hard to come buy some decent examples...and those cost in the region of 3000-4000 Euros here, pre 77-78 models that is, which would translate to something like 5000-6000 dollars. There's something amiss in the engine, it makes some kind of noise that it shouldn't be doing...so that will be the first thing I'll check on the bike when it'll get it's share of love.

GPZrocker: I'll post some picks for ya! I'll need to check out the YICS on it sooner or later anyway, dunno if I'm gonna keep it or not...they'r not that attractive on the used bike scene, so I won't be able to get more then 500-700 euro for it, tops...so I might just keep it and hope it'll pick some value up in a couple of years :P

Here's a picture of the view from Bikers Point up on Grossglockner hoch Alpenstrasse in Austria. It started to snow around the 2000 meter hight (6000-7000 foot?) and the temperature droped drasticly. Bikers Point/Edelweis Peak is 2571 meters above sea level, and the furstest up you can get on a vhicle. To bad it was kinda foggy that day... :(

Attachment viewfrombikerspoint.jpg not found

/Otto
Attachments:

More
22 Sep 2011 04:24 #478526 by Mookachacka
Curse Blocket! www.blocket.se is the craigslist of Sweden, and most motorcycles advertised in this country is listed there. I noticed a Honda CX 500 from 1978 for around 800 Euros the other day, seeminlgy in very good condition...and I picked it up last night. He said that he had a lot of calls on it, eaven one guy from Norway, but I was first on site so the oppertunity was mine! It was kinde sweet stealing in under the nose from that Norwegian guy since it was one of his fellow country men that bought the KZ650 from 77 one day before that I was going to drive up in the country and get it....that one was liste for 900 euros, also in good condition.

Well the CX is seems stock except the silencers...and it only got around 22500 miles on the clock (around 36 000 kilometers). It last had a MOT 8 years ago, and I don't think it has been driven much at al the past 10-12 years.

My intial plan for the bike will be to fix it up some what, and try to flip it in the spring, for a 100-150% profitt. That is if I won't grow to fond of the bike and decide to keep it....

I'm @ work no so I'll post a picutre later on.

Other then that not much have been happening, some organizing of parts from the Z1000R, trying to keep everything sorted. My goal is to get the engine out of the fram this week, take some messurements on the engine-to-frame mounts to fabricate some brackets for the engine stand I welded the other week.

I'm also fabricating a pair of footrests in stainless steel for my Yamaha TT600, making them about twice as big as the stock ones.

I'm also going to start drawing up some plans for welding a box for the sand blaster so I can do some of that work "in house".

That's all for now.

/Otto

More
22 Sep 2011 11:38 #478568 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Otto's garage thread
congrats on the honda score.
those lil cx's seem to be getting more popular all the time.
kinda like a baby guzzi,

without the italian accent :silly: .

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
22 Sep 2011 14:08 #478623 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Otto's garage thread
Yeah, I remember when those CX500s came out and thinking they had to be the ugliest bikes ever made, but recently I've been seeing them turned into cafe racers and they look pretty damned good like that:
www.flickr.com/photos/pampadori/2451611943/

More
28 Sep 2011 06:51 #480155 by Mookachacka
So I've been kinds abcent form this thred of mine, but I've been in and out of the garage a couple of times at least. This past weekend saw my cousin getting the electricity drawn up to the attic which have become a second garage for the time beeing. Me and my dad have some plans of expanding his gargage, with about 400% more space then the current one.

The attic:

Attachment attic.jpg not found

Here is a picture of the Honda CX 500 from 1978 I picked up last week. It seems like it havn't been tinkered with that much, doubt that the engine have been out of the fram and opened since it was made 33 years ago. I'm thinking more in the line of keeping it for now, and at least give it a major overhaul/service and then maybe see if there would be any intrest for it in the buyers market.

Honda CX 500:

Attachment cx500right2.jpg not found

Here's the Yamaha SRX-6 that I'm hopefully will have some time for this off-season. It's initially from the US, then imported to Germany, since 2-3 years ago in Sweden. I'm probably going to buy a another carburetor, maybe a Mikuni TM34-B65 or a Keihin FCR35, and a overbore/high comp piston, tuning camshaft, port work on the top, and hopefully I'll manage to weld an exhaust myself.

Yamaha SRX-6:

Attachment SRX-6.jpg not found

My dad, having two yamaha XV1000 TR1, bought a third a couple of weeks ago, it beeing a started street fighter kinda project that ha might continue on or do something else with. Would be cool to try it out when it's running.

Picture:

Attachment tr1build1.jpg not found

I've taken the insurance of my TR1 and moved it to the Yamaha XZ550 Vision, hopefully it will carry me all the way to Gothernburg today, where I'll spend 4 days with the Swedish national guard, having a 4-day traning session. Havn't really driven it since I got it, but if I'm gonna keep it I must use it, or I'll sell it at some point. I think I need to give the YICS a overhaul, and maybe thecarbs as well...might be some rust in the tank.

Pictures:

Attachment Vision1.jpg not found

Attachment Vision2.jpg not found

I've finished some easier service work on my neighbours Yamaha XT550, chaing the sprockets/cain/back tire/fork seals and fixing some other small stuff. He bought the bike new in 1981 so it's a 1 owner ~ 15 000 mile bike, pretty cool, but he doesn't really tend to this bike and it have stood outside the last year or so.

Yamaha XT550:

Attachment xt550.jpg not found

My dad changed throttles on his Yamaha XVZ12 Venture yesterday, it's beast of a bike, but quite nimble once you pick some speed up. It was the bike he had on the vacation through Europe this summer.

XVZ12 venture:

Attachment XVZ12venture.jpg not found

Regarding my work on the kawasaki not much have been taking place. I came down with a cold a couple of days ago, and havn't been up to doing anything on it since. I'm still outlining what parts to get, and in what order.

As of now I'm thinking of ditching the Dyna 2000 ignition system and getting a programable TCI from a Chezch company since it would be cheaper and give me the posibilities to tweak the ignition curve.

Carburetor wise I'm currently leaning towards the Keihin CR special carbs, probably a set of 29's or 31's. What I'm wondering and havn't really gotten an awnser about is if the could work equally good on a standard displacement engeine (with a #118 web cam) with the correct jetting and needle placement. They cost the same, at least at Dynoman, but the 29's isn't in stock at the moment.

At this point I might just buy the camshafts first, and go through the engine and installing those, so I'm done engine wise.

I'm still looking for poweder coat options in my general area, I think the might be a company 10-15 miles away that usually do poweder coat stuff for Volvo..but maybe I can get them to do my frame as well if I ask them nicely.

Well buying the CX 500 have effectivly stoped me from rushing ahead of things at buying parts for a while, which could be good, so I'll concentrate on doing what I can with the things I have.

I've also started to think up a good design for a pair of skiis for the Yamaha TT600 so I can drive through the winter season...we'll see how that turnes out. :P

Regards / Otto
Attachments:

More
09 Dec 2011 10:17 #492323 by Mookachacka
Sooooo, what has happend since the last update? I've bought the GPZ1100 1982 to be able to use the cylinders and pistons from that, planing on selling most of the other stuff from it, just almost finished tearing it down the other day. Parts need some cleanup and pictures taken then I'll throw some adds out here, on Swedish Craigslist and maybe on Ebay.

Funds have been a little low the past two months, but got some saved up now. Been looking at front and rear ends, looking for something as complete as posible that will ´fit as well as possible witout machining of the swingarm it self (at least not to much).

Got a lead on a Hayabuse front and rear aned, complete with wheels and brakes, anyone got some knowladge on that setup with a kz1000 j/r frame?

Well he's gonna send me some pictures this weekend. I'm going to contact some local salvage yards as well and se what they've got.

/Otto