The Mosquito!

• Becker
  • User
  • The Doctor Will Rise Again
More
16 Dec 2010 16:57 #417284 by Becker
Replied by Becker on topic The Mosquito!
Two-strokes with oil injection will have a variable rate oil pump that is driven off the crank. The oil is usually, but not always, injected just down stream of the carburetor. Sometimes it's also injected directly into the bearings. Those ports are all normal. I can't remember which is which but I know there is one for the pilot jet, one for the main jet, and one for the enrichener circuit.

78 KZ750B3
79 KZ400 LTD
78 KZ650C2
79 KZ650C3
78 KZ650B2A
80 KZ650F1
80 KZ650E1
81 CB750K Super Sport

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2011 03:03 #419704 by scott s
Replied by scott s on topic The Mosquito!
Disassembly has begun. Got the engine out of the frame and lots of unnecessary stuff unbolted. Slapped on some Super Bike bars I had laying around....looks better already, huh?

I took the engine over to my Dads house. He has LOTS more experience with engines than I do when it comes to getting inside of them. This thing hardly weighs anything!

More
02 Jan 2011 03:05 #419706 by scott s
Tied up the cam chain and had the head off in no time. The tach drive pinion gave us the most trouble. It didn't slip out like it was supposed to. Stupid me damaged the seal on the end, but I think I can repair it with an o-ring. We had to remove the cam and then remove the tach drive once we had the head off.

More
02 Jan 2011 03:09 #419707 by scott s
This was the source of all our woes. Someone left the bike sitting outside and the piston was stuck. A few raps with a block of wood and a hammer and she freed right up.

It's a shame, too, because this engine is like new. The piston barely shows any wear, measures out fine and we can reuse it. Unfortunately, the cylinder wall has a ring from the rust that a hone won't remove. No worries, I have a new (used) cylinder on the way.

More
02 Jan 2011 03:13 #419708 by scott s
Inside the engine shows like new, as it should with only ~4,000 miles on it. We also peaked inside the oil fill hole and the clutch basket looks the same....like new.
The oil was fine when we drained it; no water, so I feel like the bottom end is fine. It turns over easily.

I'm going to try removing the carbon from the head and cleaning up the combustion chamber with a brass brush. Think I can get away without lapping the valves? The rockers, springs and adjusters are all in great shape.

More
07 Jan 2011 06:42 #420493 by scott s
The head has been bead blasted, cleaned, valves lapped and new valve stem guides installed.

More
07 Jan 2011 06:46 #420494 by scott s
The "before" pictures came out blurry, but here are some "during" and "after" pics of the carb. It was pretty nasty.
I talked to Sudco and, best they can tell, it's an OEM carb. What model and for what bike...who knows? It's based on/closely related to a VM28. I also found a proper air filter that fits it and a manifold that will only take a little bolt-hole modification to make it work (NOT wrapping with duct tape! ::) )

More
07 Jan 2011 06:49 #420495 by scott s
While I was working on that, my Dad was cleaning the piston, the rings, ring grooves and checking everything to make sure it was within spec. This engine still measures out brand new. It sucks that someone let it sit outside for so long.

More
07 Jan 2011 06:53 #420496 by scott s
My girl and I went to a nearby motorcycle junkyard yesterday to scout for parts. We didn't have much luck but ,just as we were getting in the car to leave, she spotted this tank covered in some leaves.
It's a Garelli moped tank. The inside is pretty clean, it's solid and amazingly straight. It will take some minor frame mods to make it fit, but it's just the look I was wanting. Plus, it was only $15! They had a cool Monza style flip cap for it for another ten bucks!
I'm not sure of the capacity, but if the KZ250 gets 70MPG, it ougt be good for at least 100 miles. Stay tuned for this one....it's gonna look neat.

More
07 Jan 2011 07:20 #420497 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic The Mosquito!
cool tank man!

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
07 Jan 2011 07:45 #420508 by scott s
Thanks! The stubs on the frame for the gas tank rubber are holding it up right now. I'll get rid of those and make a few other frame mods and get it to sit more horizontal.

More
07 Jan 2011 08:39 #420527 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic The Mosquito!
more horizontal would be real nice.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0