my z650 / 1170 rebuild

More
18 Sep 2010 00:48 - 19 Sep 2010 16:26 #399533 by kenty
my z650 / 1170 rebuild was created by kenty
i suppose id better start somewhere , this could be a long story, i got the bike about 10 yrs ago ,it was a californian import with slash cut dragpipes, high bars and a matt black paintjob and it was in boxes dissasembled
i originally intended to rebuild it standard so took the frame into work and blasted and powdercoated it a nice gloss black , i stripped the motor clean and gave it a nice coat of silver, pollished the casings and put it in the frame , i had been told the engine was a good runner but after all the work of cleaning it up it turned out to be goosed .
not having a supply of engines but being a paint sprayer i did a favour for a mate and sprayed his zxr750 and acquired into the deal a gsxr750 motor , this was for something else originally but it seemed so simple to fit i decieded to put it in the 650 .
the suzi motor fell into the frame and the welded on engine mount even lined up so it was simply a matter of remaking the other mounts to suit .
up and running it was clear the suspension and brakes were never going to cope with that motor so i acquired some bits from a suzi 400 bandit , namely the wheels forks and brakes and set about grafting them on , a swingarm from a cbr400 super four also appeared and with a little bit of machining slid into the frame quite nicely .
id better take a breather :laugh:
i decieded id respray it ,including the frame in 3 shades of candy faded into each other , because this was never going to be standard i went the whole 9 yards and it ended up like this , turned a few heads at the local bike meet .
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Sep 2010 16:26 by kenty.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2010 00:58 #399534 by kenty
Replied by kenty on topic my z650 rebuild
sacrilage i know with the suzy motor , but that eventually gave up the ghost and smashed a couple of valve seats and the bike sat unloved in the garden and eventually gave up its parts for another project , ill dig a picture out of it sitting stripped and unloved ,
after three years i decieded it was time to do something with it , the thought of putting a standard engine back in never crossed my mind tho , i wanted something bigger and faster but , i wanted something kawasaki too .
z900 , z1000 would have fitted the bill but as you know these fetch big money nowadays but all was not lost because a gpz1100 came up on a website in bits , ideal for my project i thought , this is what i got .
Attachments:

More
18 Sep 2010 01:08 #399536 by kenty
now most people would have rebuilt the gpz but the frame was bent and the motor had been standing for many years so it became a donor , it was also very cheap , which i liked .
now a gpz engine conversion is not a simple drop it in and go affair as id hoped but anything can be made to fit with some inginuity and a welder , a large hammer and lots of time ;)
here it is fitted , just to keep you interested in the build .
ill show you later just how much work it took
Attachments:

More
18 Sep 2010 01:37 #399537 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic my z650 rebuild
Now that is a cool bike. Looking forward to the details!

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

More
18 Sep 2010 09:06 #399590 by kenty
here goes a bit of info and some pics
first off i had to remove some of the frame modifications i had done when i put the other motor in, no way would the gpz motor fit . i took a rough guess and chopped it out , as it turned out it wasnt quite enough but better to remove a bit more than have to put some back in .
Attachments:

More
18 Sep 2010 09:08 #399591 by kenty
that let the motor in the frame but the front mount needed removing next to let the motor sit a bit further forward
Attachments:

More
18 Sep 2010 09:09 #399592 by kenty
the shortened mount welded in place
Attachments:

More
18 Sep 2010 09:11 #399594 by kenty
with a bit more shaping and some steel welded back in the frame looked good again
Attachments:

More
18 Sep 2010 09:15 #399596 by kenty
now the motor dropped in quite nicely
Attachments:

More
18 Sep 2010 09:17 #399597 by kenty
clearance was very tight at the sides tho
Attachments:

More
18 Sep 2010 09:19 #399598 by kenty
less than id hoped for
Attachments:

More
18 Sep 2010 09:22 #399600 by kenty
i also found this triangle bit of webbing under the right side hit the frame rail and stopped the motor dropping any further , simple solution was to remove it !!
Attachments: