Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build

More
03 Dec 2010 17:56 #415220 by Nelson
Replied by Nelson on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
aaahhh! SD cards, software, MAP sensors, TPS, are we still talking about KZ's? :lol:

Part of the appeal of the old bike for me is the simplicity of it all.

Restoring and customizing a KZ1000. Click here to read about it.
Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
03 Dec 2010 19:00 #415225 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
Nelson wrote:

aaahhh! SD cards, software, MAP sensors, TPS, are we still talking about KZ's? :lol:

Part of the appeal of the old bike for me is the simplicity of it all.

I know, I know. I mostly bought the thing to tune my zx-10r, and in the future I will have an EFI motor in my 1967 Mustang. Actually it's in there, I just have to make it run. It just seems like a worthwhile project to try it out on the KZ. I'll have no excuse to have my jetting wrong, and I'll never have to be pulling spark plugs on the side of the highway to check for color. Plus I should have some really cool graphs. It will make it look like I know something. You can bet all of the computerized stuff will be gone once the tuning is done. Except the Dyna 2000. I love my little blue cigarette pack under the seat. :)

Actually, you would be amazed at just how simple a map sensor or a TPS really is. I think that there is something for everyone to learn here. If you're open minded.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
03 Dec 2010 23:13 #415241 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
Learning's for the birds. This mind is clooooooosed :silly: Why back in my day, we used to spit on the exhaust, and you could tell what the jetting was by the tone of the sizzle :P

I wish they had LM2's around when I got my LM1, it would have saved me from buying the aux box. At the same time, I will probably keep my data inputs pretty simple, with just AFR and RPM. TPS would be nice, but I'll suffer...probably just hook a vacuum line up to the box and backwards figure throttle opening based off that. I'm interested to hear how the experimenting goes B)

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Dec 2010 06:33 #415276 by testarossa
Is your Aux Box a LMA-3? What does it log, and how many analog inputs does it have? BTW Innovate had a program where you could trade in your LM-1 for credit on a LM-2. Don't know if it is still active, or if you even need it since you have the Aux Box.

One thing that I have not yet mentioned, is that with the proper cable, the LM-2 can read up to 16 different channels off of the CAN bus on your OBD-2 car. You can even read and clear DTC's. Who need's that $2500 snap-on scanner now?

So I did some investigation on accessories yesterday. I hate when companies try to sell proprietary accessories for a product. It seems that this is part of Innovates scheme. I can't really fault them for that, everyone does it these days. However, I did find a $10 SD memory card that seems compatible instead of buying theirs for $20 + shipping. With a little snooping on Innovate's forum, I found a Molex P/N for a 14 pin connector that is used for the analog input cable. I called a local branch of Allied Electronics to order the connector and 14 contacts. All together it was about $3 worth of parts, but I guess the girl on the phone liked me. She comped me the parts! :woohoo: So all I need to get is some wire to build my own analog input cable instead of $25 + shipping from Innovate. THANK YOU ALLIED ELECTRONICS!

Now I just need to drum up a good 0-5v MAP sensor, seems I may have one from the Grand Cherokee that I used to have. I may have to ebay a TPS, and I should be in business. I'll try and at least log a little O2 information today if possible.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
04 Dec 2010 08:01 #415288 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
I run a LC-1 on the bike for tuning, I leave it installed. The LM-2 seemed to be alot of stuff that was well beyond my skill level :)

The bike is a whole different machine with correct jetting, and there was so plug chop voodoo involved.

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
04 Dec 2010 08:39 #415293 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Testarossa's 78 KZ1000 Fighter Build
I think the 02 sensor will be a good learning tool for anyone .
when u make jetting changes , sometimes its hard to tell if the feeling u get while riding is a symtom of being too ritch or too lean. with the 02 readout infront of u, u will learn very quickly what that strange feeling the bike is sending , actualy means. As in rich or lean.
after reading about OMR's experience with his 02 sensor, it seams that they dont have the capability to tell u everything u need to know, but they will help.
Dont bother wasting your time trying to read plug color . it takes a lot of miles to put color on a plug with today's gas.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• porchev914
  • User
More
04 Dec 2010 10:00 #415296 by porchev914
Yes Josh, I have the LMA3 aux box. It has a built in map sensor, rpm converter, egt or cht with a k type thermocouple, injector duty cycle and a 2 axis accelerometer. I'm not sure how many of those inputs are reconfigurable, but it does do those 5 garanteed. Now that I think about, that's a lot of data to nail down jetting, especially with the accelerometer....no seat of the pants guess work on how much harder the bike pulls. If you wanna give it a try, I'll send it your way B)

FRANKEN Z!

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Dec 2010 19:44 #415365 by testarossa
No need in sending the box Adam. I can get what I need off the LM-2. Besides, I need a new voltage reg. My bike is over 16 V at 4000 rpm. Too much of that, and I'll be smoking everything electrical.

On to my progress today. I got all the Dos Equis paint sanded off the tail. That thing had three paintjobs and a skim coat of poly filler. I also got the side covers 90% sanded. There are some small repairs needed to the tail and one of the covers.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN
Attachments:

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Dec 2010 19:46 #415366 by testarossa
Thankfully, the side covers were original paint. Not too much trouble sanding them down. I knew the tail would be the worst, so I started there. I'll do the tank last. It should be the easiest.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN
Attachments:

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Dec 2010 19:51 #415371 by testarossa
I have been scratching my head about the front fender for a while. Today I decided to try cutting the GSXR fender down to resemble a KZ fender. First step was to mask off the whole thing so that I could cut tape to see if I liked the shape before I made permanent cuts. I established a centerline, and then drew a simple grid so that I could keep it symmetrical.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN
Attachments:

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Dec 2010 19:52 #415372 by testarossa
Then I traced the cut lines into the tape and cut them off with a razor knife.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN
Attachments:

• porchev914
  • User
More
04 Dec 2010 19:55 #415374 by porchev914
Just an FYI on the tank- even a straight tank will have high spots/low spots and slight waves in the sheetmetal. If you were going for a pro job you would skim coat the whole tank to fill in all the slightly low spots to make it perfect ;)

FRANKEN Z!