• kzr750r1
  • kzr750r1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 9
Left side...
KZ750R1 + 1991 ZR750 = KZR750R1
Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube. - HST
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZR750R1 14 Feb 2010 08:14 #348208

• kzr750r1
  • User
Been a while.
Recent additions have been some extra parts from Canada a few months back. New tires were also placed yesterday.

Jose sent a tank, side covers, tail and the coveted passenger grab rail. I have to get the tank stripped ASAP see if it's going to be salvageable. Have already found the tank rotten through at one point so it may be a total loss.
All the other parts are in workable condition. Covers can wait until I need them but the steel needs attention.

Tires are Bridgestone Battlax claiming to be a dual compound bias ply tire. I'm hoping they wear better than the Metzler without compromising traction. Glad I purchased the tires when I did, as they were on sale waiting for me at the at the shop. Seemed to be the only two match set F/R for the bike they had anyway. I wanted to try these on the bike anyhow.

Seriously want a better way to lift th front end off the ground.

Plus this is the last time I'm loaning tools out. My brother in law had my floor jack and stray jack stand for about a month and a half. He still didn't work on his car. Told him to come over and I'll rip through it in a few. No need to search to tools this way.

Last edit: by kzr750r1.

KZR750R1 14 Feb 2010 08:26 #348212

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
  • Thank you received: 235
i hear ya on loaning M/C related stuff out......i loaned my copy of kevin camerons sportbike book and my german Z1 dvd about a yr back to a co-worker ,then changed jobs......kept missing getting together,one thing or another,the dude took time to hunt me down and hand return em friday...restores ones faith in people when you get an honest one.....pics...more pics....peace
1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

KZR750R1 14 Feb 2010 09:25 #348218

• kzr750r1
  • User
Have to wait for the wife to get home. Watching the her mini me, our daughter.

Crazy it was 11 years ago I started resurrecting this thing.
With ups and downs took almost 6 years to get road worthy.
5 years ago went down on the freeway.
4 years ago made it road worthy again. Just to have the garage tip over.
2 years ago now bike back in order.

Looking forward to a new season of good riding.

I found some other pictures of me in mulletville during the first and poorly executed tear down. You guys ain't gonna see those. ;)

Will roll it out later today for a new shot with the grab rail and tires installed.

KZR750R1 14 Feb 2010 11:39 #348253

• moto
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

Seriously want a better way to lift the front end off the ground.

How about a front stand? There are ones that lift from the bottom of the fork tubes, or better yet from the bottom of the steering stem.

Regards,

Derek

KZR750R1 07 Aug 2010 08:40 #388916

• kzr750r1
  • User
Gahh... Been busy...

Had to make it home to pack for a weekend work hell trip to hotlanta. Bike ran ok going into the office. Going home ran like crap. Wasn't idling well, had to goose the throttle at stops, seemed to be running fat like a float was stuck.

Ran crappy until RPM was 6K... So I booked home splitting (lower RPM) lanes and trying not to make prolonged stops en route.

Well I made it. Bike smelled of Gas. Well the petcock was seeping, pushed the side and it gushed a bit more. Not sure yet if diaphragm is done, but for sure getting changed.

Need to do a full motor tune, so starting to make the list of materials needed.

The new tires are nice. Have plenty of grip for me and just now are showing wear in the center.
Really need to get an acewell on this thing so I can have an odometer again, let alone the speedo.

Ha, I finally have my M class. Always road on permit. Took the MC safety course to satisfy the drive test. During the test day I made one mistake but still passed. They want to watch you slow before the turn then accelerate through. Well I never slowed down. ;)

Instructor riding a nice FJ1300 liked the KZ. Road it in on finals day.

KZR750R1 09 Aug 2010 05:16 #389562

• kzr750r1
  • User
Here is that shot I promised with the new tires and grab rail. Rail needs refinishing but there are other things to do first. The seat looks in proportion to me now with this added bit.

Now to make it through the next few weeks. Then I'll have some time to get it road worthy again.
Attachments:

KZR750R1 09 Aug 2010 05:33 #389565

• kzr750r1
  • User
Ok I'll try again.
Attachments:

KZR750R1 12 Sep 2010 07:21 #397977

• kzr750r1
  • User
Well placed an order for some tune up parts from Z1 and picked up the good sync kit while i was at it. Also ordered new carb mounts and am considering using the RS again. Since I did get my M class out of the way I don't need to consider using this bike to take the final driving test at the DMV.

Seriously considering puling the old motor and getting the bits together for a resurrection.

Main reason is I never moved the ZR Motor VIN to the registration and probably don't want to go through CARB and DMV to try. They would probably force me to put the emissions BS back on. Less I talk to them the better.

This may turn into a frankinmotor but at least the VIN will match and any future inspections from the cops will not find something out of order. All I need is them to impound it forcing me to prove the motor isn't stolen.

KZR750R1 12 Sep 2010 09:36 #398005

• moto
  • User
Should we build you a hot rod based on the old cases?

D.

KZR750R1 12 Sep 2010 10:07 #398028

• kzr750r1
  • User
Good morning Derek, kinda what I'm thinking....
Issue is I don't have the old cylinder. If stock is too hard to find or expensive I may consider bypassing the oil risers and go external with a Zephyr cylinder possibly head too. The motors are so close I'm curious if this is possible. Probably is.

Have to clean up the garage. Will be pulling the Gpz motor inventory out and see if this old head is still worth anything. Considering why I chucked the cylinder, have my suspicions it's a door stop too.

If it's junk may just take the top end off the Zephyr and build it up from there. Either way need to address the oil riser.

While doing either would like to fit it with the 810 kit. Be nice to have a spare motor around if I can swing it though.

One other item is the Gpz clutch would have to be modified somehow. I dislike the rod through the block design.

Hence a real Franken motor may be in the works here.

The wifes truck just started having transmission issues so well see how this delays things.

For the moment just going to get ready and keep the ol girl running with a good ol top to bottom tuneup.

KZR750R1 12 Sep 2010 11:33 #398045

• moto
  • User
Sean,

Maybe there's something I'm not thinking of, but the base gaskets, oil feed o-rings and oil feed restrictors are the same. So is the clutch cover gasket. You may be able to swap everything over to the GPz cases.

D.