Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

cafekz750's Cafe KZ750 Project 25 Apr 2008 12:36 #209054

• cafekz750
  • cafekz750's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the compliments on the bike. I am really happy with the new mods. Lots of configurations over the last 10+ years with the bike, but I really like where it is now.

Thanks for the tip with the carving knife/bread knife. The bread knife will be the one I will be doing. Slow and steady....

I should say that I am cutting up and extra seat from a parts bike I bought years ago so I can keep riding the KZ until I get around to it. Or if I mess up, I still have my seat.:P

leboeuf wrote:

The photochop pic reminds me of the trummy thruxton.... Hmmm drop the guages and head light, and you'll have a kawasuxton :lol:

I have looked at lowering the headlight and gauges. The headlight wouldn't be too much of a problem using the stock headlight mounting system. The gauges are the issue. The stock master cylinder is huge and with the clubmans I would have to drop everything too far. I could go to just a tach/idiot lights, but this is a everyday bike/commuter and the speedo is nice. The front end does sit lower with a person on the saddle which cleans up the lines of the bike. So, next project is the seat, followed by probably polishing the fork tubes and then thinking about the gauges again.
1981 KZ750H2 - V&H 4-1 pipe, pods, jetted, clubmans, homebrew rearsets, 18" rear wheel and more.
Parting out a 1982 KZ750H3 to fund future projects
2 other non-Kawasaki motorcycles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by cafekz750.

cafekz750's Cafe KZ750 Project 16 Jun 2008 14:45 #220371

• ds777
  • User
Where did you get those front signal brackets from? I want to install clubmans on my 750 ltd and it has handlebar mounted blinkers.

Thanks.

cafekz750's Cafe KZ750 Project 16 Jun 2008 19:09 #220419

• jrjstuff
  • User
I mounted mine to my headlight bucket ears. The ones on my bike happened to be solid on the sides making it easier!!

Jeff
83 KZ750 ltd

cafekz750's Cafe KZ750 Project 16 Jun 2008 20:38 #220436

• jrjstuff
  • User
Oops! My apologies for the hijack! :blush:
Jeff
83 KZ750 ltd

cafekz750's Cafe KZ750 Project 16 Jun 2008 21:24 #220443

• ds777
  • User
I'm sorry for the hijack as well. I just ordered some clubmans and was wondering how other cafe riders mounted their signals.

cafekz750's Cafe KZ750 Project 16 Jun 2008 22:01 #220447

• HENRYJ
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I used sportbike surface mount,teardrop shaped lights. Take off the cover and remove the bulb. Drill a hole for the headlight mounting bolt and bolt it all back together with your turn signals stuck to the headlight mounting ears.
I had to gring the heads of the bolts down a little to clear the bulb, but once you put the bulb and amber covers back on all the mounting hardware is hidden.
I also integrated my turn signals in my tail light to give it a more sleek look.

NO MORE HI-JACKING :blush:

cafekz750's Cafe KZ750 Project 17 Jun 2008 12:09 #220514

• cafekz750
  • User
ds777 wrote:

Where did you get those front signal brackets from? I want to install clubmans on my 750 ltd and it has handlebar mounted blinkers.

Thanks.

Don't worry about the thread jacking. More ideas, the better.B)

As for how my turn signals are mounted:
They are the stock front signals from the bike mounted on stems (KZ1000, I think) that I picked up from a junkyard. These are nice since the stem is like a bolt but with a stem protruding for the signal. I made the plate that the stem goes through using flat or strap bracket from the hardware store. I bought what look to be the right size, cut them in half, drilled my holes, a touch of the grinder and file and shot a little paint at them. They are mounted using the headlight bucket bolts.

The '80 and '81 has chrome wire with a washer welded to it for mounting the headlight. The '82 and '83 have a solid side that could be drilled for turn signal stems. The '80 and '81 have a reflector mounted on the front down tubes and the '82 and '83 had them mounted on the headlight bracket. You can see this by comparing the photos of my bike with jrjstuff.
1981 KZ750H2 - V&H 4-1 pipe, pods, jetted, clubmans, homebrew rearsets, 18" rear wheel and more.

cafekz750's Cafe KZ750 Project 26 Aug 2008 11:34 #234077

• cafekz750
  • User
Well, I thought I would check in and post an update about the mods I did to my KZ this past winter.

So far, I have ~1500 miles on the bike this year and everything is holding up well. I have not had to re-tighten or adjust anything since putting the bike into service. The longest ride has be ~120 miles in about 2.5 hours and I was not uncomfortable in the least. The riding position is committed and can be a bit demanding in heavy city traffic. When out on the open road, the riding position is great; really nice to sport around on. It does tend to make me ride a bit more aggressive but the control over the whole bike is improved (read: safer...).
I haven't moved any farther on the seat since the last update. It is mostly a cosmetic change and I have been wrenching on my other bikes this summer. Looking at this winter for picking that up again.
I am also considering picking up a GPZ front end since the leading axle forks are currently the weak link in the handling.

cafekz750's Cafe KZ750 Project 28 Jan 2009 12:28 #260682

• cafekz750
  • User
It has been a while since I have checked in. More plans for the KZ to expedite its conversion to cafe.

I picked up an 18" wheel from a '80 KZ750 to replace the 16" stock wheel. I needed new tires anyway and this deal on ebay just popped up. I am hoping to have it on the bike soon.
Attachments:

cafekz750's Cafe KZ750 Project 28 Jan 2009 12:30 #260683

• cafekz750
  • User
I am also looking to replace the large taillight with a smaller unit like in the picture below while keeping the chrome rear fender.
Attachments:

cafekz750's Cafe KZ750 Project 28 Jan 2009 12:40 #260684

• cafekz750
  • User
I haven't finished the cafe seat yet. I am working on the final shape and hope to have it recovered soon. I will post pictures of the seat when I have something worth showing.
I am also looking to lower the front end by a 1/2" to 1" internally rather than slipping the forks up in the triple clamps. I am waiting on this until I get the rear tire installed since the diameter of the tire and therefore the rear seat height will change (be higher) and may balance the bike out a bit more. Right now, it is wait and see.
I am also going to put a kickstarter on the bike when I get the rest of the parts that I need. Just waiting on the kick return spring and the kick spring guide and I am set to go. Anyone got one out there?
Attachments:

Last edit: by cafekz750.

cafekz750's Cafe KZ750 Project 28 Jan 2009 22:49 #260778

• User
wow, nice bike. don't know how i missed this thread before, most of your bike's story is similar to my own! mine originally had the windjammer style fairing and hard bags, removed them keeping the pullback bars and adding a sissy bar...put a taillight like the one you posted on at that stage (looks real good, highly recommend it)...and currently in the process of cafe'n it!
keep us posted on the kickstart mod, keen to do it myself when the parts become available at the right price.

'81 KZ750-4 ltd / 810 GPz motor
'84 Suzuki GR650
'01 Ducati 750 Sport / corse pipes + chip