• Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
  • tv_cafewannabe
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Oct 2016 14:40 #744642 by tv_cafewannabe
Replied by tv_cafewannabe on topic Re:Thought I'd say 'hi' before looking for advice
What would you think it is actually worth as is? Not running, low compression, VERY clean, no rust, inside of gas tank is pristine but there is one sizable dent on the opposite side of the picture (repairable for sure), and a rip in the seat. I would think a few hundred is the top of the mark for any run-of-the-mill (not very collectible), NON-RUNNING, Japanese bike but maybe I'm off. I'd guess most would pay scrap value plus some extra for any parts that could be sold.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
06 Oct 2016 14:53 #744643 by SWest
Once running the compression can come up. I'd get it running then decide what to do with it. Last year I picked up a non running KZ 550 for free. All the shops told him it wasn't worth fixing. Cost me $100 in gas and a few hours working on it. Sold it with no title for $800. The guy that got "FOUND HIS BIKE."Big grin from ear to ear when he rode it away. Could have got as much as $2800 if I got the title.
Steve
kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/598262-kz-...-will-it-live#672882

Attachments:

More
06 Oct 2016 14:55 - 06 Oct 2016 14:56 #744644 by GPzMOD750

tv_cafewannabe wrote: GPzMOD750 - so how are you planning to mount the electronics and battery? I had though most go with a pan under the seat with the battery under the hump. I want the completely open subframe look with no side covers. I'll need to get creative and truly appreciate any feedback and ideas.

I'm not. Mine is more along a street fighter theme. The link is in my sig line. I crashed it hard enough that I'm going to have to rebuild it this winter.

There are plenty on here that have relocated all that stuff in various ways you are just going to have to do your home work, Having side panels of some sort is a more classic look IMO.

This cafe in it's final stages looks terrific.Hard to believe it's a Ninja.

kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/603988-85-gpz-750-cafe-project

Here's a twin in it's final stages although it's more of a street tracker.

kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/598240-sav...0-750-twin?start=220
Last edit: 06 Oct 2016 14:56 by GPzMOD750.

More
06 Oct 2016 15:43 - 06 Oct 2016 15:44 #744645 by Nessism
Your bike looks like a nice starting point for a cafe project. Please do some research and come up with a plan like the bike in this link. Too many cafe's look half baked with hacked off frame at the shock mounts and stink bug looking chopped off looking rear end. Put a nice exhaust on the bike, with REAL mufflers, and get some proper pods, not some dime store quality generic Emgo cheapies.

kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/598240-sav...0-750-twin?start=220
Last edit: 06 Oct 2016 15:44 by Nessism.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
06 Oct 2016 16:55 #744647 by SWest
Stink bug, that's what my daughter said. :lol: :lol: :lol: :woohoo:
Steve

More
06 Oct 2016 19:23 - 06 Oct 2016 19:23 #744652 by Nerdy

tv_cafewannabe wrote: Nerdy - whats your verdict on those RFY shocks you have on the back end? Acceptable or not? I love piggyback reservoir shocks but don't want to spring the $$$ for real performance ones.

Yes, they're quite acceptable. I don't have many miles on them, but will say that they are a vast improvement over stock. Of course that's not saying too much. :-)

There is someone out there who will rebuild them to a really decent spec. I'm drawing a blank on the name but if you search the forum you're sure to find it. I'm happy enough with them as they are and not planning to do anything like that right now.

1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R
Last edit: 06 Oct 2016 19:23 by Nerdy.

More
06 Oct 2016 20:05 #744656 by Patton

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
06 Oct 2016 20:22 - 06 Oct 2016 20:27 #744661 by 650ed

tv_cafewannabe wrote: . My understanding of the difference between a flat tracker and a cafe bike are really just the handle bars and a the fuel tank on a tracker is typically smaller. Just about everything else is interchangeable from a design perspective.

:woohoo: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

HOLY CRAP!!!! Are you kidding?? If not, you really need to do a LOT more study on the subject because you are VERY confused. Except for the fact than both machines have two wheels there is very little remotely similar between the two. You may want to attend a flattrack race or two so you can start to appreciate the level of effort that goes into building a flattracker. Below is a good example of each. Ed

Lesson #1:

FLATTRACKER

Attachment harley-davidson-xr750-racer-2-4441-2.jpg not found

CAFE RACER

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Oct 2016 20:27 by 650ed.

• tv_cafewannabe
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Oct 2016 21:15 #744665 by tv_cafewannabe
Replied by tv_cafewannabe on topic Re:Thought I'd say 'hi' before looking for advice

650ed wrote: HOLY CRAP!!!! Are you kidding?? If not, you really need to do a LOT more study on the subject because you are VERY confused. Except for the fact than both machines have two wheels there is very little remotely similar between the two. You may want to attend a flattrack race or two so you can start to appreciate the level of effort that goes into building a flattracker. Below is a good example of each. Ed

Sorry, I guess I was speaking from a styling perspective of a custom build on a Japanese bike. Obviously the two are very different from a purpose perspective like suspension settings and engine tuning. Regarding your examples, that HD XR is a factory built oval track bike made to spend its life mostly sideways drifting turns. The Norton isn't far off from factory either. Take the Harley and throw on some clip on bars, change tires to a slicker tread, and ditch the giant air filters and I think most lay folk would assume they are at least cousins of the same bike style family.

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback and opinions on styling. I'm not married to any specific design points at this stage.

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
06 Oct 2016 21:31 - 06 Oct 2016 21:34 #744667 by DoctoRot
take about 20%-30% off the top there, Ed. He came looking for advice.

tv_cafewannabe wrote: As I understand it though, the motor and frame are effectively the same as every other KZ750 twin ever built (correct me if I'm wrong here).

Attachment 82kz750m1aspurchased.jpg not found

The kz750M is different in many ways from the 76-79 "B" The head-stock rake on the M is 28.5 degrees while on the B it is 26.5 degrees. The M has more fork offset, and has leading axle forks while the B has standard forks. all of this will make it handle "slower" than the B models, but be more steady at higher speed.The M has a 16" rear wheel while the B has a 18" rear wheel. The the sub-frame seat rails are much lower on the M than the B to accommodate the cruiser look Kawasaki was going for. There are also some mechanical differences, namely the carbs, but also components of the engine such as the clutch adjuster.

Not the most Ideal candidate for a cafe racer, TBH, but that doesn't mean it can not be done.

If you haven't ridden this style of bike before i would suggest you get it running and make sure there are no surprises waiting. Then ride it a bit, and if you find you like it then do whatever the hell you want with it. As you said, a non-runner of this particular model, even if its nice, isn't worth much. If you need a copy of the Factory Service manual PM me your email.
Last edit: 06 Oct 2016 21:34 by DoctoRot.

More
06 Oct 2016 21:31 #744668 by 650ed

tv_cafewannabe wrote: .................Take the Harley and throw on some clip on bars, change tires to a slicker tread, and ditch the giant air filters and I think most lay folk would assume they are at least cousins of the same bike style family..

They might assume that , but they would be incorrect. ;) Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)