New guy "new" bike

More
03 Jul 2015 09:26 - 03 Jul 2015 09:28 #679242 by GPzMOD750
New guy "new" bike was created by GPzMOD750
Hi! I'm James I just bought a '82 GPz750 for next to nothing, it's been at least 15 years since I've had a bike so I'm pretty excited.

This bike is in great shape for the price and I rode it home 30 miles when I bought it. It only needs a few things to get it completely road worthy:

New tires, of course.

Tune up, mostly a carb service and balancing, It didn't like to start cold or idle when I picked it up but i was playing with the idle adjustment the other day and it starts fine, but doesn't want to settle down on idle.

Lastly, a Speedometer, The needle was just bouncing around in the cluster and so i took it out and tried to get it to stay on the needle shaft but it didn't seem to want to stay, I also noticed the gear for the odometer was pretty worn and tried fiddling a bit with it to see if i could get it to engage the main shaft a bit more but I probably did more harm than good. Now I have to find either a replacement or some one to repair it.

I'm looking forward to getting as much info here as possible and talking with other KZ owners.
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Jul 2015 09:28 by GPzMOD750. Reason: typos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2015 09:47 #679243 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic New guy "new" bike
Welcome GPzMOD750, welcome to KZR. Nice motorcycle...there are a few of those on this site. I think when you get the motorcycle all sorted out you'll really appreciate what you have.. I'm not aware of anyone who works on that style of speedo/tach unit...but I could be wrong. Spare units can still be had on eBay and are reasonably priced...patience and one will turn up soon enough. Buy the official Kawasaki shop manual, also to be found on eBay...there are also some repro shop manuals coming out of New Zealand that are quality.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Jul 2015 09:56 #679244 by SWest
Attachments:

More
03 Jul 2015 10:08 - 03 Jul 2015 10:15 #679247 by GPzMOD750
Replied by GPzMOD750 on topic New guy "new" bike
Thank s guys. I've been checking around for the speedo and haven't come up with anything yet EBAY is bone dry on them right now and any NOS are through the roof.

If worse comes to worse I'll buy a cheap GPS one until I can get a proper stock or aftermarket replacement. I'll probably customize it a bit so if I don't eventually get a stock one I wont be too upset. As a matter of fact I found this posted on Pintrest that I really like ans wouldn't mind ending up with something similar. Anyone recognize it so i can find out what was done and where components were sourced?

Last edit: 03 Jul 2015 10:15 by GPzMOD750.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Jul 2015 11:37 #679258 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic New guy "new" bike
Are you sure it's the speedo? You can check it with a drill motor on reverse.
Steve

More
03 Jul 2015 11:46 #679261 by GPzMOD750

swest wrote: Are you sure it's the speedo? You can check it with a drill motor on reverse.
Steve

The dangling needle was a good tip off. It didn't respond very well to the drill at all so I'm pretty sure the speedo is toast.

More
03 Jul 2015 11:54 #679262 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic New guy "new" bike

GPzMOD750 wrote: Thank s guys. I've been checking around for the speedo and haven't come up with anything yet EBAY is bone dry on them right now and any NOS are through the roof.

If worse comes to worse I'll buy a cheap GPS one until I can get a proper stock or aftermarket replacement. I'll probably customize it a bit so if I don't eventually get a stock one I wont be too upset. As a matter of fact I found this posted on Pintrest that I really like ans wouldn't mind ending up with something similar. Anyone recognize it so i can find out what was done and where components were sourced?

I'm thinking Japanese custom...making it tough to source the parts...You might try WIN-PMC.com using the translator function to see what is available for the GPz750...astounding stuff but expensive..

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
03 Jul 2015 15:59 #679300 by GPzMOD750
Good news. I think I found a instrument cluster on ebay, Misidentified of course. I bid on it and lets see if I win.

I think at this point I'm past introductions and I believe the proper thing to do is start a project thread.

More
03 Jul 2015 17:02 #679310 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic New guy "new" bike
Welcome James.

Nice find you've got yourself.
I do like the GPzs.
B)

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Jul 2015 18:23 #679318 by SWest

• Randombeat
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
More
03 Jul 2015 19:09 #679325 by Randombeat
Replied by Randombeat on topic New guy "new" bike

Mcdroid wrote:

GPzMOD750 wrote: Thank s guys. I've been checking around for the speedo and haven't come up with anything yet EBAY is bone dry on them right now and any NOS are through the roof.

I'm thinking Japanese custom...making it tough to source the parts...You might try WIN-PMC.com using the translator function to see what is available for the GPz750...astounding stuff but expensive..

I've seen that mod before, and I could about swear its a pair of Suzuki meters.... I wanna say sv650...

1980 KZ750H LTD-- pods-- vance & hines 4-1 --speedo/tach/blinker/switch deletes -- brat style

More
08 Jul 2015 12:14 #680050 by fixitmann
Replied by fixitmann on topic New guy "new" bike
Nice Bike and welcome!

So the old Rocker gets out his bike to make a ton before he takes his leave. Up on the A1 by Scotch Corner
just like it used to be. And as he flies --- tears in his eyes ---
his wind-whipped words echo the final take and he hits the trunk road doing around 120 with no room left to brake.