• Page:

TOPIC:

Gas Resistant Rattle Can Paint ? 26 Jun 2016 18:17 #732944

• kzdcw
  • kzdcw's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
  • Thank you received: 13
This 77' KZ1000A that I been diligently working on for the past year is in need of some body paint. Gas tank was primered originally when I bought the bike and without putting a high end expensive paint job on the bike since it's overall appearance is just plain at best, I like to look into just spraying the bike with just rattle can to make it look a little cleaner :woohoo:

So with that in mind, have any of you Forum members found a good gloss or metallic paint in a spray can that is gas resistant ? Don't have a problem spending a little time color sanding the paint but would also like to clear coat the tank after painting it so it's a little shinier ;)
77' KZ1000A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gas Resistant Rattle Can Paint ? 26 Jun 2016 18:29 #732948

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2677
Search the archives for information about SprayMax 2k Clear. It's a catalyzed product and about as good as it gets for a rattle can. Lots of information available if you care to search.

www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-ins...rider.com%20spraymax

Last edit: by Nessism.

Gas Resistant Rattle Can Paint ? 26 Jun 2016 18:37 #732949

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
I used Duplicolor and their clear engine coat. Worked great until I overfilled the tank and the gas and it got under the paint where the badges sit. Had gas bubbles. :ohmy: Other than that I was happy with it. I'm working on my spare tank and a goat rubbed his horns on my side cover so I'll have to redo them too. :angry:
Steve

Gas Resistant Rattle Can Paint ? 26 Jun 2016 18:38 #732950

• kzdcw
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
Nessism, As far as the clear goes, looks like great stuff :) :)

Any recommendations for paint ? Should it be fuel resistant too ? Or is the clear over the paint good enough ?
77' KZ1000A

Last edit: by kzdcw.

Gas Resistant Rattle Can Paint ? 26 Jun 2016 18:46 #732951

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2677

kzdcw wrote: Nessism, As far as the clear goes, looks like great stuff :) :)

Any recommendations for paint ? Should it be fuel resistant too ? Or is the clear over the paint good enough ?

Most automotive paint these days is base coat and clear coat. The base has no durability and needs to be sealed by a good fuel resistant clear. And don't forget to use a two part epoxy primer direct to metal too if you want a properly durable paint job.

Gas Resistant Rattle Can Paint ? 26 Jun 2016 18:57 #732954

• kzdcw
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
So looks like I can settle for Any automotive paint as long as it is cleared over with SprayMax 2K Clear as recommended ? It appears as it comes in matt, semi-gloss, and gloss. I'm assuming use Gloss ?

I like to choose a Nice Metallic color for the paint. Thinking of using a good shade a grey.
77' KZ1000A

Last edit: by kzdcw.

Gas Resistant Rattle Can Paint ? 26 Jun 2016 19:29 #732960

• Nelson
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Duplicolor clear enamel holds up fairly well to gas. However you can also buy a spray can of urethane clear with a catalyst that mixes in for only $17 from an autopaint supply shop. That is by far the best choice.
Restoring and customizing a KZ1000. Click here to read about it.
Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.

Gas Resistant Rattle Can Paint ? 26 Jun 2016 19:33 #732962

• kzdcw
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
I was looking at the Duplicolor product line at O-Reilley's Auto the other day. Will have to see if they have a metallic.
77' KZ1000A

Gas Resistant Rattle Can Paint ? 26 Jun 2016 21:52 #732977

• The_Proletariat
  • User
  • "Cocaine is a hell of a drug"
Dupli-Color Engine enamel does not hold up to gas. The can says fuel resistant but that is not true.

Overfilled the gas tank and fuel leaked out of the filler overnight. Bubbled the paint right up on the left side of the tank. Could scrape it off with my fingernail.

Until the manager of responsible spending approves a professional paint job I am very careful when getting fuel.
1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD

Gas Resistant Rattle Can Paint ? 26 Jun 2016 22:16 #732979

• wrenchmonkey
  • User
  • Thank you received: 75

kzdcw wrote: So looks like I can settle for Any automotive paint as long as it is cleared over with SprayMax 2K Clear as recommended ? It appears as it comes in matt, semi-gloss, and gloss. I'm assuming use Gloss ?

I like to choose a Nice Metallic color for the paint. Thinking of using a good shade a grey.

Well... yes and no. You want to be sure that your primers, sealers, base coat and clear coat are all compatible to avoid potential problems of material reactions. I am a big fan of "rattle can" paints since my son introduced me to them earlier this year. I find the base coats apply super easy as does the clear coat and you can find some pretty wild and custom ideas that will amaze and impress you that it came from a can and lays out so easily. I recently completed KZombie using House Of Kolor paints in rattle cans with compatible primer and SprayMax high gloss clear. Considering that you're doing this in your garage and out of an aerosol can. It still blows my mind. So much easier and no mess to clean up with a gun. I got all my materials here (no affiliation other than happy repeat customer) [ Clear Coat Options Here ]

Gas Resistant Rattle Can Paint ? 27 Jun 2016 05:12 #733003

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I had a tank professionally sprayed with water-based car paint, Du Pont, with clear coat. This is a local body shop that does a lot of work and I saw some high end cars in there. I asked how long before it would be fuel resistant, and the guy said "right away". Not true. I spot checked a small corner in an area that wouldn't be seen. The paint came right off. Hopefully, now, after two years, it's more durable, but I'm afraid to test it.

Gas Resistant Rattle Can Paint ? 27 Jun 2016 05:28 #733007

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
In two years you haven't splashed any fuel on it? ... not even a smidge? WOW. :laugh:

• Page: