Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Gas Resistant Rattle Can Paint ? 27 Jun 2016 05:45 #733011

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615

martin_csr wrote: In two years you haven't splashed any fuel on it? ... not even a smidge? WOW. :laugh:

I get paranoid at gas stations. :laugh: But yes, I hang the fuel filler to let all of the drops shake off before I try to put it near the tank, then I wait a long time after it full before I remove the filler. That last drop seems to hang there forever.

While filling, there is a tiny bit of spray that gets on the tank, but it seems to evaporate before having any effect.

My other bike that was sprayed 15 years ago with Du Pont lacquer gets occasional spillage and seems fine (though I wipe it immediately if it does get spill). That tank I allowed to cure for several months before using machine glaze and a good wax job.

The bike in my avatar is factory paint from 81. It actually has stains from spills that were there before I bought it. I was surprised to see the stains on the factory paint. I haven't tried to buff it out as it is covering the stripes, and I don't know how thick the clear is. It only shows up in certain lighting angles.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Gas Resistant Rattle Can Paint ? 27 Jun 2016 06:00 #733014

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2633
I try to go to newer gas stations like the Von's near me. One day I stopped but had to use a pump I don't normally use. The filler "malfunctioned" and poured gas all over my new paint. :angry: It was dry but as soon as I started filling, all this gas came gushing out. The guy gave me the fish eye when I complained to him. :dry: Normally that gas would go back into the system. I turned them in and now that station is being checked monthly. I let the gas dry then cleaned it off with polish. It looked OK but I switched to a different clear coat. I like the two stage and have a respirator but that stuff is NASTY. :unsure:
Steve

Gas Resistant Rattle Can Paint ? 27 Jun 2016 09:21 #733037

• nitrokeeb
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
I used SprayMax over a Krylon/Duplicolor paint job. So far it's held up to both gas and brake fluid. SprayMax has some nasty stuff in it though. You're supposed to use a fresh air supplied suit. I did it in my backyard, with a good breeze, a paint suit, and respirator. Here's a little detail on the paint job. kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/590045-lon...-first-time-kz-owner
1978 KZ1000B LTD w/KZ900 engine

• Page: