Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

'79 kz650c petcock parts 21 Jun 2016 06:33 #732229

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2635
NOT AS DESCRIBED. Otherwise you pay return shipping. They know the buyer won't pay return shipping for a low dollar part. Not an option with CHINESE sellers. :angry:
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'79 kz650c petcock parts 21 Jun 2016 07:04 #732231

• wrenchmonkey
  • wrenchmonkey's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 75
Martin,
Yes i tried fitting the diaphragm (ha. I spelled it correctly for once!) :laugh:
It seems the o-ring design would work but with the shaft trapped at the plate sandwich i can't grok how it could move or pull back under vacuum to release fuel flow?

I'm already getting flak from eBay seller - "what model, year & VIN is your motorcycle?"
I replied saying that i searched eBay for a kawasaki part number and this matched it. The part is missing a p l astic plate that cannot be installed into it.

So i'm prolly gunna eat the $35 on this. Sigh

'79 kz650c petcock parts 21 Jun 2016 07:07 #732232

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2684
I ordered up the exact same part numbers I linked earlier in this thread and everything fit together perfectly. The later 650 and 750/4 petcocks share internal parts, the difference being the position of the nipple on the body. OEM parts are the only way to go.

Last edit: by Nessism.

'79 kz650c petcock parts 21 Jun 2016 08:20 #732240

• wrenchmonkey
  • wrenchmonkey's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 75
Hey Ed. So that plastic plate came with your diphragm...how does the shaft move through the plate?

I can/will order the exact part number from Partzilla as i can see on close-up view of their pictures that the plate is included (although it appears to be gray colored now).

Again, i just can't see how the plunger shaft can move in or out with the 2 rubber elements sandwiching the unit to the plate? Makes me wonder how that elusive spring is used?

'79 kz650c petcock parts 21 Jun 2016 09:02 #732245

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member

wrenchmonkey wrote: Hey Ed. So that plastic plate came with your diphragm...how does the shaft move through the plate?

I can/will order the exact part number from Partzilla as i can see on close-up view of their pictures that the plate is included (although it appears to be gray colored now).

Again, i just can't see how the plunger shaft can move in or out with the 2 rubber elements sandwiching the unit to the plate? Makes me wonder how that elusive spring is used?

The plate is a separate part and fits between the two diaphragm layers. I'm going off memory but don't remember having issues working one layer of the diaphragm through the hole in the plate, I think the hole was larger though.

I'm starting to think that there is something funny going on with your petcock. That separate plunger part doesn't show up on the parts fishe and the hole in the center of the plastic piece is too small.

I think you may have to open up the hole in the plastic plate so you can work that thing between the layers of the diaphragm.

BTW, the KZ750/4 manual has some pretty good photos of the petcock taken apart. You might want to find a download and have a look see.

Last edit: by Nessism.

'79 kz650c petcock parts 21 Jun 2016 09:05 #732246

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014

wrenchmonkey wrote: Martin,
Yes i tried fitting the diaphragm (ha. I spelled it correctly for once!) :laugh:
It seems the o-ring design would work but with the shaft trapped at the plate sandwich i can't grok how it could move or pull back under vacuum to release fuel flow?

I'm already getting flak from eBay seller - "what model, year & VIN is your motorcycle?"
I replied saying that i searched eBay for a kawasaki part number and this matched it. The part is missing a p l astic plate that cannot be installed into it.

File a not as described going by the part number. No exchanges just your money back with a return shipping label. Some of these guys like to play games to burn up time. Hold your ground and have eBay step in. It takes time and you might have to pay return shipping but $35 is worth it. If you do get your money you can't leave feedback. That's a choice you have to make.
Steve

'79 kz650c petcock parts 21 Jun 2016 10:15 #732255

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1630
He has an early style petcock with diaphragm "Hat"... parts obsolete.
On the newer petcocks the plunger half of the diaphragm has to be fitted thru a larger plate hole.
The other side of the diaphragm has a large round disc that the spring pushes against. :)

Last edit: by martin_csr.

'79 kz650c petcock parts 21 Jun 2016 10:25 #732257

• pete greek1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 185

swest wrote:

File a not as described going by the part number. No exchanges just your money back with a return shipping label. Some of these guys like to play games to burn up time. Hold your ground and have eBay step in. It takes time and you might have to pay return shipping but $35 is worth it. If you do get your money you can't leave feedback. That's a choice you have to make.
Steve

You can leave negative feedback NOW, before you get your money back, I've done it before, even after ebay stepped in , but before I got my money back
Pete
1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!

'79 kz650c petcock parts 21 Jun 2016 10:45 #732261

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1630
What kit did he get? The 650C isn't included in the model application list for the OR2612 kit.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

'79 kz650c petcock parts 21 Jun 2016 10:51 #732263

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
I think you nailed it Martin.

In looking through the parts fishe at Partzilla there is no reference to an earlier model petcock. Pretty much all the 650 petcocks share the same parts according to the fishe, but clearly this is not the case in reality.

I wonder if that petcock kit can be made to work if the hole in the plastic part is opened up? It's a gamble, but not much to lose at this point eh?

'79 kz650c petcock parts 21 Jun 2016 11:14 #732266

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014

pete greek1 wrote:

swest wrote:

Steve

You can leave negative feedback NOW, before you get your money back, I've done it before, even after ebay stepped in , but before I got my money back
Pete

You're right Pete. It will give the seller more motivation to make it right. I've done it and had the sellers send sob stories to me. Pay shipping for a $2 part? I don't think so. The feedback is worth it to me. That junk CHINESE cam they wanted me to send back to CHINA. I said NO so they gave me an address stateside, in my state to send it to. I lost a few bucks on shipping but my feedback stayed the same. It would have cost me $17 to get $25.
BUYER BEWARE
Steve

'79 kz650c petcock parts 21 Jun 2016 14:51 #732280

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
Lots of great info about the 650 petcock over on the kz650 site...forums.kz650.info/index.php?topic=6522.0