Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

carb issues? 22 Dec 2014 14:13 #656731

• Special KK
  • Special KK's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3

Zephyrrider wrote: Best idea giving it a break for a couple of days. You sound very patient and persistent - that will help.
Were you able to find any extra info / diagrams on net. I have a 1980 H model parts pdf if that would be of any use.

Yeah I think i'd perhaps call it more being stubborn and my patience is good until i get the hump and start kicking things round the garage in a sweary rage as my neighbours can attest to! lol. You definitely need a bit of pigheadedness when it comes to anything mechanical ive learnt over the years ;)

Havent really found that much yet online so parts PDF would be great if you have a link or can PM it or something?
Am going to pick up the proper kawasaki manual as suggested too, im not sure the haynes one i have is all that accurate.
2008 Aprilia Shiver SL750
1983 Kawasaki KZ750 LTD H4 Four cylinder
Previous bikes:
1999 Honda CBR 600 fx
1992 Kawasaki Zephyr 550b
1990 Honda CG 125

"All work and no play makes jack a dull boy"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

carb issues? 22 Dec 2014 14:31 #656735

• Zephyrrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 50
Mates call me patient and persistent beyond what is normal but the thing is if i have a problem i have to fix it - my bike is my transport (thats how i like it) and i prefer to do the work myself. So it seems just about everyone goes off their head when things are not going right and it usually the little things like a bloody bolt that wont go in. I am surrounded by christians so now they should be able to swear and blaspheem pretty damn good.
Not sure how much this pdf will help as it is 80 model.
Mick
1994 ZR750 Zephyr C4.

carb issues? 22 Dec 2014 14:56 #656737

• Special KK
  • User
Same, i still have my old bike, Honda CBR 600 for the time being so i can ride that to work but its getting sold at somepoint to pay back what i spent on the kwaka, so it needs to get fixed pretty soon so i can commute with it too. And yeah your right the annoying things are those mystery fixes that seem to take forever to sort out, i guess it teaches you to be methodical if anything otherwise you just end up going round and round in circles chasing smoke!
Swearing is one of the good things in life so Your doing them a favour, Christians need to learn how to have a bit of fun :evil:
Ill have a proper look see if i can get something for my model online and if not ill grab that PDF off you, Cheers.
Previous bikes:
1999 Honda CBR 600 fx
1990 Honda CG 125

Last edit: by Special KK.

carb issues? 22 Dec 2014 15:43 #656740

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2634
The one thing you have to keep in mind, it's a damn inanimate object. If you get mad, it wins. We get some high winds out here. It does no good to fight it. A neighbor of mine would yell at the wind, it only blew harder. Time to chill, take a break, then sneak up behind it, then SMACK IT WITH A HAMMER. That will teach it.
Steve :laugh:

carb issues? 23 Dec 2014 01:16 #656764

• Zephyrrider
  • User
SK you are welcome mate cheers.
Steve i try to keep that in mind before i start doing something but sometimes that damn matter wins.
Mick
1994 ZR750 Zephyr C4.

carb issues? 23 Dec 2014 02:57 #656765

• Special KK
  • User
Shouting at wind is pretty futile but i did once use a hammer on a PC, didn't fix it but made me feel pretty good!
Previous bikes:
1999 Honda CBR 600 fx
1990 Honda CG 125

carb issues? 23 Dec 2014 07:20 #656779

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
:woohoo:

carb issues? 27 Dec 2014 05:00 #657056

• Special KK
  • User
Hey guys,
so today i got back on it again and removed the tops of the carbs where the diaphragms are. i checked the throttle butterflies and they are opening correctly, then i thought id check the diaphragm needles again just to make sure they were OK and i've noticed something else odd about these stupid carbs: the jet needle size is N10A and in the manual (for all models including spectre) it says the needles are supposed to be N01A! i did a bit of research online and it seems that others on this forum with a kz750 H4 have N01A needles too so the Haynes manual must be correct on this. i was beginning to think it must of been a typo and they maybe got the 0 and 1 round the wrong way?! lol.
So i dunno what the feck is going on with these bloody things but they seem to have all the wrong sizes for my model?
So can anyone tell me if a needle that is .09 sizes up from what it should be, what kind of effect that would probably have on the bike? ie leaner or richer? And does anyone have any clues as to where i could buy new jet needles that are the right size?
Cheers.
Previous bikes:
1999 Honda CBR 600 fx
1990 Honda CG 125

carb issues? 27 Dec 2014 05:48 #657057

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Who knows what the PO did to this thing. Try jetsrus. They have a chart and your carb may be on it. I don't buy jets there, I buy mine a the Yamaha dealer, $2.99 and they want $6+ for theirs. I do buy the hard to find floats there and shims are cheaper.
Steve

carb issues? 27 Dec 2014 08:17 #657073

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435

the jet needle size is N10A and in the manual (for all models including spectre) it says the needles are supposed to be N01A! i did a bit of research online and it seems that others on this forum with a kz750 H4 have N01A needles too so the Haynes manual must be correct on this. i was beginning to think it must of been a typo and they maybe got the 0 and 1 round the wrong way?! lol.

To date I have only found one typo in the Haynes manual (valve clearance) but needle marks may be the second. If I google "Keihin N10A needle" I get lots of stuff on the Spectre so it would look like the N10A is found in Spectre carbs.

I found this post from a few years ago where wiredgeorge (carb guru) responded with some info you might find usefull
69.46.28.106/forum/3-carburetor/147734-k...l=component&type=raw
Although his advice is regarding jetting for pods I would think your bike should run as it is . A puzzle indeed
The previous owner probably got Spectre carbs and played around with jetting without getting it right. If you feel you have the jets to match the needle then I would suggest taking the carbs apart yet again and going through them slowly and thoroughly - did you check the the washer spring and o rings under the air mix screws ?

Until a few months ago kawasaki.com had the best parts database ever and included the ability to cross reference parts and model Sadly they changed it to the pathetic POS it currently is . This one from a company in Holland is not bad www.cmsnl.com/

If all else fails regarding carbs and current jets then you might want to look at a Dynojet Stage 1 jet kit which appears to include adjustable needles
www.dynojet.com/jetkits/motorcycle/kawasaki.aspx

Good luck
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

carb issues? 27 Dec 2014 13:01 #657098

• Zephyrrider
  • User
Mate ,
Jet Needle : N01A
Needle Jet : N10A
Zeph.
Mick
1994 ZR750 Zephyr C4.

Last edit: by Zephyrrider.

carb issues? 27 Dec 2014 13:39 #657106

• Special KK
  • User
You had me scratching my head for a second then with confusion, but yup the 'jet needles' on mine are still definitely N10A, & hopefully the 'needle jets' are correct too but cheers for pointing it out I'll check them too ;)
Previous bikes:
1999 Honda CBR 600 fx
1990 Honda CG 125