Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

reassembled now runs weird 26 Jan 2015 16:27 #659831

• 123vucku
  • 123vucku's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I just put on the head gasket and reassembled my engine... fires up just kind of spits out the carbs and runs kinda weird almost like if the timings off... I lined up the cam carrots on the valve cover case but the intake one was slightly under more then my exhaust mark also counted my 28th pin and all..should they both be like perfectly over the valve cover surface equally is this my problem ...I also was thinking the carbs need to be cleaned because they were sitting for a few weeks in my garage .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

reassembled now runs weird 27 Jan 2015 01:26 #659867

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Including information about bike year and model is helpful to viewers and usually elicits better responses.

It's easy to put the information in your signature where it shows in all posted messages, past and future.

And the signature may be changed whenever and as often as desired.

If wanting a signature showing information about the bike in posted messages, it's easy to do.

Here's how:

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

reassembled now runs weird 27 Jan 2015 07:23 #659885

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621

123vucku wrote: I just put on the head gasket and reassembled my engine... fires up just kind of spits out the carbs and runs kinda weird almost like if the timings off... I lined up the cam carrots on the valve cover case but the intake one was slightly under more then my exhaust mark also counted my 28th pin and all..should they both be like perfectly over the valve cover surface equally is this my problem ...I also was thinking the carbs need to be cleaned because they were sitting for a few weeks in my garage .

What year and model is it?
Sounds like you have the early engine. If so, the arrow will be at or just below the surface of the top of the head. One tooth more and you won't be able to see it. Starting with the next pin up, you count 28 teeth to the arrow on the intake sprocket. I set it up so the full links are the ones I count. 2-4-6-8 and so on. less confusing. If I'm right, your intake cam is one tooth advanced (opening too soon) thus the spitting out the carbs.
Steve

reassembled now runs weird 27 Jan 2015 11:57 #659897

• Lt.Dan
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3

123vucku wrote: I just put on the head gasket and reassembled my engine... fires up just kind of spits out the carbs and runs kinda weird almost like if the timings off... I lined up the cam carrots on the valve cover case but the intake one was slightly under more then my exhaust mark also counted my 28th pin and all..should they both be like perfectly over the valve cover surface equally is this my problem ...I also was thinking the carbs need to be cleaned because they were sitting for a few weeks in my garage .

Actually the count starts with zero, one,two three,. I went to the original introduction Z1 school I have the original factory pre-manual manual that the big "K" gave us for specs. from the pointer on the exh cam that is zero and then you count to 28 should end up with the correct cam timing.......

reassembled now runs weird 27 Jan 2015 12:06 #659898

• 123vucku
  • User
Ok because my exhaust carot is like over the valve cover by a bit and my intake it's below the cover more I think I'm gonna redo that and see what happens it still runs but that's definitely my problem.

reassembled now runs weird 27 Jan 2015 12:07 #659899

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
B)

reassembled now runs weird 27 Jan 2015 13:48 #659910

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
Also i your head is milled or the cam chain is badly worn this will affect valve timing and the marks won't be dead flat with the head surface.

I had a 550 one tooth out on the valve timing -something that I'd assume would wreck the valves and pistons in most vehicles, but the clearances are generous here it seems.

The motor felt a load more tourqey when it was reset correctly.
1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

Last edit: by Tyrell Corp.

reassembled now runs weird 27 Jan 2015 15:29 #659920

• 123vucku
  • User
It's a 1976 kz900 a4

reassembled now runs weird 28 Jan 2015 00:23 #659945

• !Seymore
  • User
  • Ride on...
  • Thank you received: 61

123vucku wrote: It's a 1976 kz900 a4

Please follow Pattons advice: kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/597025-reasse...ow-runs-weird#659867
C.
79' KZ650-D2 [fsm] (Max)
83' KZ750-F1 LTD [clymers] (Kay)
82' KZ1100-D1 Specter (another project)
78' KZ650-B2a (J&H, A Project)
91' KZ1000-P (P = parts)

reassembled now runs weird 30 Jan 2015 04:08 #660109

• 123vucku
  • User
Someone please post a pic of where the timing marks should be ...I'm losing patience it's like I get them perfectly lined up then when I do the process of tightening the chain tensioner it makes the intake cam mark slightly below the valve cover then the exhaust cam mark over the valve cover slightly. Someone please help me

reassembled now runs weird 30 Jan 2015 05:16 #660110

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Perhaps the article in KZrider's FILEBASE may be helpful.

The following link enables a download:

Click here > www.kzrider.com/filebase/search/finish/1...or-903-1015cc-models

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

reassembled now runs weird 30 Jan 2015 06:10 #660112

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Make sure the slack is at the back of the engine, the idler is not installed and the tensioner is not installed. The stator should be at T. The arrow even with the top of the head and the chain on. Tighten the exhaust cam. The next link up from the arrow AKA zero, count 28 teeth (pins). The chain should sag enough for the idler sprocket. Tighten the intake cam, install the idler, then the adjuster. Don't worry where the intake cam is located as long as the 28 tooth mark is set correctly. Turn the crank by hand until it won't turn backwards by it's self and loosen the adjuster. Tighten it. Turn it all the way around by hand watching the cam chain for loose spots. If your rollers are worn out you must replace them or the chain will have loose/tight spots and severe damage can be the result.
Steve