Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

reassembled now runs weird 30 Jan 2015 09:30 #660122

• 123vucku
  • 123vucku's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've got it going now thanks for the help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

reassembled now runs weird 30 Jan 2015 18:56 #660178

• 123vucku
  • User
I'm getting sort of a tapping sound from my #1 cylinder .... While it's running If I take off the plug wire it makes the sound but a lot quiter .... The bike is a 1976kz900. A4. Also I have suspicion it is an exhaust leak because one of my collars look like there off a different bike it doesn't truly bolt on perfectly and I can feel air by the header on that cylinder...Also have done a compression test and it reads 120 cold just like the others so wondering if anyone can have some input I appreciate the help thanks !

reassembled now runs weird 30 Jan 2015 19:54 #660184

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
Exhaust leak can sound like a tapping sound. Did you adjust the valves? I used a piece of copper wire in the exhaust flanges to tighten down my Susie flanges. They are deeper than the stock ones. The wire made up the difference.
Steve

reassembled now runs weird 30 Jan 2015 20:31 #660188

• 123vucku
  • User
No I have not...I also was concerned about my cam shift bearing caps... they were on in different order then there numbered order when I took off the valve cover for the first time . After I replaced my head gasket I put them in there numbered order... could these caps in wrong order make the cam lobes closer to the shim then it should be ..Thus making the tap sound .? ...I've never had as a noticeable tap as this one before just starting to get stressed out

reassembled now runs weird 30 Jan 2015 21:19 #660191

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
That might be the cams making that noise. I bought from Z1E all new bearings. I think they were $130 for the set. Mine had never been replaced. Look at them. You should notice if they're wearing funny.
Steve
Wrong cap order? That's a tip off.

reassembled now runs weird 30 Jan 2015 21:25 #660194

• 123vucku
  • User
What do u mean when u say a tip Off?.....If it were the cam making the noise how come when I take off the 1 cylinder plug off wire it goes away..? Thanks for the help by the way

reassembled now runs weird 30 Jan 2015 21:30 #660198

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Might be more than 1 problem. Pulling the plug wire relaxes that cylinder. Start there. I still don't like the cam caps being mixed up. :unsure:
Steve

reassembled now runs weird 31 Jan 2015 09:03 #660215

• 123vucku
  • User
Yeah I agree ... I feel like there's a definite exhaust leak there . And I also feel like somethings not right with that cam I just don't know where to start.. . If the valves for cylinder 1 had no clearance would they make that noise ?

reassembled now runs weird 31 Jan 2015 09:32 #660218

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Yes and could be worse. If it's too tight it might be "chirping" and a burned valve could be the result. I buy my shims at jetsrus on line. $6.98 as apposed to $12 and even $20 a piece other places. If you suspect the bearings, replace them. They will cause the clearance to lie to you and create other symptoms. Better for the clearance to be a little loos than tight. Little I mean not over .002 over spec. If you have the shim over type, one could be "spit" out ruining the head.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: 123vucku

reassembled now runs weird 31 Jan 2015 10:41 #660228

• 123vucku
  • User
I'll check my clearances and my shims and everything but I feel like I have a pretty bad exhaust leak. Compressions good ...cylinder 4 isn't currently working I'll have to look at the coils and wires for that it gets spark but somehow doesn't make a difference if I run it and take off its plug wire.... I have my grounds not on too good either battery's dead too I should start off with buttoning stuff up and then attack the other stuff . Thanks

reassembled now runs weird 31 Jan 2015 19:09 #660266

• 123vucku
  • User
My clearances for the shims were good and the buckets spin freely none too tight... I now am narrowing down the sound to be an exhaust leak . The air felt behind the header the wrong collar for the bike it all just leads to an exhaust leak... I used some car spark plug wire also which might have a bad effect ... I have ngk spark plug boots ....is there a way I can test the coils ...I'm getting spark on all cylinders ... number4 just doesn't seem to work when the Bikes running .... The plug looks pretty fouled any suggestions?

reassembled now runs weird 31 Jan 2015 19:44 #660271

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
If you can get a short piece of #12 copper wire you can make a shim for under the exhaust flange to make up the difference and seal the leak. I use a piece of aluminum wire flattened out for this perpus. I'll take a pic later. In the day I used car (graphite) plug wires (not recommended) and even had some show chrome coils hose clamped to my down tubes. Miller told me they are for Harley s and don't put out the voltage stock Jap coils do. I put my stock ones back in. Used coils are cheap on ebay but new Emgo coils are too so why go used? Plugs can be bad too. Try switching them around and see if the problem follows it.
Steve