TOPIC:

2 hr ride through some canyons, passes & Park City 12 Jun 2016 18:08 #731117

• GPzMOD750
  • GPzMOD750's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148
Me yesterday:

Me today:

I decided to get on the bike and go before any more weather could come. I set out to go around and up I-80 through Parley's Canyon into Park City, over the back side of Guardsman Pass and down Big Cottonwood Canyon. Almost 70 miles and 2 hrs of riding.

This my first stop at the top of Empire Pass, most just call it the Park City side of Guardsman which is properly in the background to the right.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by GPzMOD750.

2 hr ride through some canyons, passes & Park City 12 Jun 2016 18:16 #731119

• GPzMOD750
  • User
This is the same spot where my brother took the shot of me on my BMW and did a painting about 1993-ish. Its on one of my first ride reports.

On Guardsman Pass proper. Empire Pass is directly behind my bike about 2 miles. Gotta love the BLING on the headlight.

I, of course, have about 2 hrs of vid. I'll post it when I have a chance to edit it. Nothing super exciting but some pretty scenery and some angry looking clouds coming over Parley's Summit that had me thinking of turning back. I'm glad I didn't.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluej58

2 hr ride through some canyons, passes & Park City 12 Jun 2016 20:35 #731143

• Nhanc3d
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Looks like a nice ride. The weather started off pretty wet this morning over her in West Jordan, but it got clear for a good portion of the day. Glad you got to take a ride.
1979 KZ650(D2) SR .
Salt Lake Area

2 hr ride through some canyons, passes & Park City 12 Jun 2016 21:41 #731156

• GPzMOD750
  • User

Nhanc3d wrote: Looks like a nice ride. The weather started off pretty wet this morning over her in West Jordan, but it got clear for a good portion of the day. Glad you got to take a ride.

Well, you should have joined me...... I'm pretty much at the bottom of Little Cottonwood. I'm just aching to get up East Canyon and the Alpine Loop. I'm hoping to do the Mirror Lake Hwy by the end of the summer. I've had this bike less than a year and I already need a new rear tire.

2 hr ride through some canyons, passes & Park City 14 Jun 2016 08:28 #731344

• Nhanc3d
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I probably will join you once I get my KZ650 up and running. Bought it about 2 months ago but I suspect an air leak. I'm just short on time during the week, so it's a long term project haha.
1979 KZ650(D2) SR .
Salt Lake Area

2 hr ride through some canyons, passes & Park City 14 Jun 2016 10:25 #731357

• GPzMOD750
  • User
Air leaks aren't too hard. If you need any help let me know.

2 hr ride through some canyons, passes & Park City 14 Jun 2016 18:54 #731409

• GPzMOD750
  • User
I got done with the edit but it's taking forever to export to my hard drive. After that I have to upload it.

I hope this is worth it.

2 hr ride through some canyons, passes & Park City 15 Jun 2016 04:18 #731447

• GPzMOD750
  • User
OK, this was an epic edit. I FINALLY got it down to under an hour. trimming the last 5 minutes was a challenge. Export and upload took FOREVERRRRR!

I hope it's worth your time. I wouldn't feel bad if you used FF or the slider alot.

I figured out how to put text over the vid so you have the distinct privilege of being my guinea pigs. Let me know what you think and I'll do things differently if you all think it sucked.

2 hr ride through some canyons, passes & Park City 15 Jun 2016 05:03 #731449

• wrenchmonkey
  • User
  • Thank you received: 75
Beautiful ride. I imagine a rear tire a year would be hard to avoid given such scenery! B)

I'm curious about how your bike performs over the altitude changes. I can see your top elevation during that ride was close to 10k ft. Does your bike develop any symptoms during the ride as a result of these changes?

Love the video but I would rather listen to a soundtrack of your choosing than wind on a mic ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPzMOD750

2 hr ride through some canyons, passes & Park City 15 Jun 2016 05:43 #731457

• GPzMOD750
  • User
Thanks,

It is just a Shinko 712 so it's not surprising. It's a great tire for the price but it's treadlife is on the short side about 3500 for this one. I would have upgraded to a 740 but they didn't have any. So there is a another 712 being mounted that I will pick up on the way home today. I'll do a full upgrade next year when the front needs replacing and I've, at least. rebuilt the top end this winter.

It did start to feel a little sluggish just above Park City. I have the CV BS34s I imagine manual carbs would have been affected more.

I thought about a sound track but it was quite a chore to do what I ended up with. Besides, I would have put up some Drop Kick Murphys and some one would have preferred Billy Ray Cyrus. So I would suggest what another user mentioned on the thread I post short clips on, turn down the volume and play the music of your preference while watching. B) At least that's my out for now.

I'm going to try to figure out how to combat the wind noise somehow as well.

2 hr ride through some canyons, passes & Park City 15 Jun 2016 05:55 #731460

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611
Mu windshield takes care of most of it. I just realized I have the vented door on my case. I'll put on the sealed one and see if the exhaust isn't so loud. The sound bounces off the shield and amplifies the sound.
Steve

2 hr ride through some canyons, passes & Park City 15 Jun 2016 18:14 #731573

• GPzMOD750
  • User
I only ride naked. Windshields are for old farts.