Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

The Friendship Bike - NobleHops restores a 75 Z1 12 Dec 2015 07:43 #702824

• NobleHops
  • NobleHops's Avatar Topic Author
  • Vendor
  • A happy present from the earth!
  • Thank you received: 44

swest wrote: He should have the two piece gaskets...
Steve

P.S. I did put an email into him asking about it. What are your thoughts about the copper vs regular gaskets for this engine?
Nils Menten * RestoCycle LLC * Tucson, Arizona * USA

Proud sponsor of KZRider: kzrider.com/forum/14-vendor-forum/604812...on-shocks-usa#751083

Vapor blasting with free shipping! www.restocycle.com
Discounted Ikon Shocks! www.ikonshocksusa.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by NobleHops.

The Friendship Bike - NobleHops restores a 75 Z1 O 12 Dec 2015 07:44 #702825

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1972
Glad you are making headway
Call Joe at Pitstop Performance in Florida . Used to advertise here . He is a Cometic dealer for gaskets and other good parts . Best prices I have found on MTC Pistons as well
Do as you mentioned to clutch and polish baskets and center hub with out removing material.
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

The Friendship Bike - NobleHops restores a 75 Z1 O 12 Dec 2015 07:50 #702828

• NobleHops
  • Vendor

Street Fighter LTD wrote: Glad you are making headway
Call Joe at Pitstop Performance in Florida . Used to advertise here . He is a Cometic dealer for gaskets and other good parts . Best prices I have found on MTC Pistons as well
Do as you mentioned to clutch and polish baskets and center hub with out removing material.
Dave B) B) B)

Very cool Dave, thank you for the clutch advice. EDIT Have an email inquiry into Pitstop now.

Proud sponsor of KZRider: kzrider.com/forum/14-vendor-forum/604812...on-shocks-usa#751083

The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

Last edit: by NobleHops.

The Friendship Bike - NobleHops restores a 75 Z1 O 12 Dec 2015 08:26 #702832

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 516
Hello Nils, you have the ability and machining capabilities. Years ago when I drag raced these bikes. We used to weld the O-ring groove full, then surface grind the whole block. To make it like the 1st generation Z1 with the 1 piece head gasket. I was lucky enough to know the Worlds greatest craftsman ever. "Puppet" James Ditullio. He could weld stainless steel to toilet paper we used to say! He even welded the heck out of a stock cylinder, filing in the fins with weld. Then mill it down flat on the sides. They were ugly but I had a 1260cc running with alcohol, stock block welded solid, then we bored bigger liners into it. He was always ahead of the times. The first big block! He was the first to make knurled hand grips. Sorry to get off base here, but think about that one. I never typed this in the forum before. I always got a kick out of guys saying they filled the groove in with RTV. Yea that works. But filling in with the weld and machine it, does a lot better.
Here is the best Bio of Pup, "Puppet" put together by the Schnitz family. If you want to read it, it will tell you about the Man, The Legend!
www.schnitzracing.com/POTW/2012/potw-jimditullio.htm
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

The Friendship Bike - NobleHops restores a 75 Z1 12 Dec 2015 08:46 #702834

• NobleHops
  • Vendor

z1kzonly wrote: Hello Nils, you have the ability and machining capabilities. Years ago when I drag raced these bikes. We used to weld the O-ring groove full, then surface grind the whole block. To make it like the 1st generation Z1 with the 1 piece head gasket. I was lucky enough to know the Worlds greatest craftsman ever. "Puppet" James Ditullio. He could weld stainless steel to toilet paper we used to say! He even welded the heck out of a stock cylinder, filing in the fins with weld. Then mill it down flat on the sides. They were ugly but I had a 1260cc running with alcohol, stock block welded solid, then we bored bigger liners into it. He was always ahead of the times. The first big block! He was the first to make knurled hand grips. Sorry to get off base here, but think about that one. I never typed this in the forum before. I always got a kick out of guys saying they filled the groove in with RTV. Yea that works. But filling in with the weld and machine it, does a lot better.
Here is the best Bio of Pup, "Puppet" put together by the Schnitz family. If you want to read it, it will tell you about the Man, The Legend!
www.schnitzracing.com/POTW/2012/potw-jimditullio.htm

That's cool as hell man. Love the stories of creativity and craftsmanship. Will check out that link later. :-).

N.

The Friendship Bike - NobleHops restores a 75 Z1 12 Dec 2015 09:39 #702840

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
I'm glad you took the time on your oil pump. You won't be disappointed. Here's a short clip of mine. It's cold so the pressure dropps by about half. The oil gauge is a cheap Harley with a plastic bezel. It developed a small crack and lost some of it's oil. It still workes and I'll get a better 60 PSI gauge later.
Steve

Last edit: by SWest.

The Friendship Bike - NobleHops restores a 75 Z1 12 Dec 2015 10:18 #702845

• NobleHops
  • Vendor

swest wrote: I'm glad you took the time on your oil pump. You won't be disappointed. Here's a short clip of mine. It's cold so the pressure dropps by about half. The oil gauge is a cheap Harley with a plastic bezel. It developed a small crack and lost some of it's oil. It still workes and I'll get a better 60 PSI gauge later.
Steve

Most definitely I am too. Clearly this engine had an oil related failure, hence the scorched shift forks and other evidence, and the fact that it's wearing an older pump. I am happy to think that is all squared away. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

N.

The Friendship Bike - NobleHops restores a 75 Z1 12 Dec 2015 10:39 #702847

• NobleHops
  • Vendor
Updated that post a page ago with the photos.

The Friendship Bike - NobleHops restores a 75 Z1 12 Dec 2015 10:41 #702848

• NobleHops
  • Vendor
Next up is this stator.

I am thinking I will simply clean up the wires and the connector within an inch of its life, check continuity, and barring any surprises, reinstall. Any other fine points to this piece?

N.

The Friendship Bike - NobleHops restores a 75 Z1 12 Dec 2015 11:30 #702854

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Is the rubber grommet still soft? If not get a new one cut the wires and solder them back up. Post some pics so we can guide you along.
Steve

The Friendship Bike - NobleHops restores a 75 Z1 12 Dec 2015 11:31 #702855

• NobleHops
  • Vendor

swest wrote: Is the rubber grommet still soft? If not get a new one cut the wires and solder them back up. Post some pics so we can guide you along.
Steve

I have a brew of wintergreen oil I will soak that in. That ought to renew it pretty well.

The Friendship Bike - NobleHops restores a 75 Z1 12 Dec 2015 11:33 #702856

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Get a new grommet. Major source of leaks. They're cheap. I wouldn't soak it in anything. It's where the wires go through that's the problem.
Steve