Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

The Friendship Bike - NobleHops restores a 75 Z1 19 Nov 2015 18:13 #699471

• Stev-o
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey Nils......the SOHC forum was a little slow tonight and the Triples site is down so I thought I'd come over for an update.

And nothing! What's up amigo?
'75 Z1 '74 H1 '74 H2 basket case ..... plus plus plus...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Friendship Bike - NobleHops restores a 75 Z1 20 Nov 2015 02:18 #699493

• NobleHops
  • NobleHops's Avatar Topic Author
  • Vendor
  • A happy present from the earth!
  • Thank you received: 44

Stev-o wrote: Hey Nils......the SOHC forum was a little slow tonight and the Triples site is down so I thought I'd come over for an update.

And nothing! What's up amigo?

Heya Steve!

There is an update, but I am stalled.

The machine shop work is all done - the head got new Kibblewhite valves and springs and keepers, and slightly oversize guides were installed, along with new seals of course, And it was vapor blasted naturally so it is by now a better-than-new head, good to go.

The cylinder and pistons and rings were all fine - remember those were all really young-looking, Everything was still within tolerance and so the bores were honed and that's ready to go too.

So I pored through the parts list and put together an order for every seal and o ring I need to start reassembly, plus my oversize head gasket, ordered it all, and now I'm waiting...... Z1 Enterprises (which I love) is shut down till 12/2 and some parts were out of stock when I had ordered them anyway.

There's other stuff to do, like put the tailsection together and more wiring, but I'd prefer to do that after the engine is back in, So I am dicking around with other projects and vapor blasting stuff and working on the shop and waiting...

Who else stocks a good selection of these engine parts, but the way? OEM prices for these O-rings and whatnot are of course absurd,
Nils Menten * RestoCycle LLC * Tucson, Arizona * USA

Proud sponsor of KZRider: kzrider.com/forum/14-vendor-forum/604812...on-shocks-usa#751083

Vapor blasting with free shipping! www.restocycle.com
Discounted Ikon Shocks! www.ikonshocksusa.com

The Friendship Bike - NobleHops restores a 75 Z1 20 Nov 2015 03:46 #699498

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2635
Z1 is down? Why? You can check my The Good Guys thread for parts. Your local auto parts store should have the O rings.
Steve

The Friendship Bike - NobleHops restores a 75 Z1 20 Nov 2015 03:51 #699502

• Rockranch
  • User
  • Thank you received: 23
Vacation for Jeff and crew?

swest wrote: Z1 is down? Why? You can check my The Good Guys thread for parts. Your local auto parts store should have the O rings.
Steve

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1-all stock low mileage...
1 modified
1977 KZ1000 (awaiting resurrection!) :)
...and an old school Honda CB750 Chopper is next on my bucket list!

Oh...and a Pocket Rocket lol!!!

The Friendship Bike - NobleHops restores a 75 Z1 20 Nov 2015 08:21 #699573

• NobleHops
  • Vendor
Yeah, something like that I guess.

Proud sponsor of KZRider: kzrider.com/forum/14-vendor-forum/604812...on-shocks-usa#751083

The Friendship Bike - NobleHops restores a 75 Z1 20 Nov 2015 08:53 #699587

• pete greek1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 185
1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!

The Friendship Bike - NobleHops restores a 75 Z1 20 Nov 2015 09:07 #699590

• Kidkawie
  • User
  • I bleed premix
  • Thank you received: 245

redhawk4 wrote:

Kidkawie wrote: I went up one tooth on the front sprocket. Can cruise at 80 no prob.

What size are your rear sprocket and rear wheel? I'm tempted to do a 15/33 equivalent with the 1" rear, but don't want to over gear especially as I'm at altitude, although I do have the 1075 kit which might restore some of the grunt.

Stock rear sprocket, 120/90 tire.
1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

The Friendship Bike - NobleHops restores a 75 Z1 01 Dec 2015 12:18 #701401

• NobleHops
  • Vendor
Here's the latest. Still waiting on parts so I amused myself by reassembling the cylinder head after my brother more or less begged me to let him port it :-)

For sure, when he was done, the ports were a lot smoother, which can't be bad. I cleaned it once again within an inch of it's life, cleaned all the parts that had been removed and had at it.

As prior, my machinist suggested new everything, so we did. Kibblewhite valves, springs, keepers, and the seals from my gasket set.

Made up a little seal driver out of a 10mm socket on a screwdriver. Insert the driver into the guide, slide the socket/seal combo down to the guide, press with the thumb and POP, seal installed. Muy bueno.

[ur

Ran an oiled bore brush down the guides, lubed the valve stems with a smear of assembly lube...

This is one of those tools I use twice a year, and still love.

Done!

More...

The Friendship Bike - NobleHops restores a 75 Z1 01 Dec 2015 12:26 #701403

• NobleHops
  • Vendor
Question time.

See this bucket? This is from #1 exhaust. It has kind-of scorchy oil residue on it.

As we learned, this engine had been oil starved in it's lifetime, and this looks like one of the casualties. It wasn't *damaged* as far as I could see, just had this residue. #4 was half as bad, the others were better. I installed it, clean, with a nice coating of very light oil and it didn't spin freely like the others. I could spin it, but only with some effort.

Lacking a better idea I extracted it and took it over to the buffer, polished it till all the oil residue was gone, re-cleaned and oiled it, installed it, and it was better for sure, but still not quite as free as the others. It occurs to me that the aluminum bore this rides in is quite a bit softer than this bucket, and it's going to have its way with it very shortly, but educate me please - is this something I should even pay attention to?

Finally - reinstalled the cam bearings so I could stop worrying that they'd get mixed up.

N.

Last edit: by NobleHops.

The Friendship Bike - NobleHops restores a 75 Z1 O 01 Dec 2015 13:19 #701412

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2635
Good to see you again. That valve must have been hot. Have you tried it in another hole?
Steve

The Friendship Bike - NobleHops restores a 75 Z1 01 Dec 2015 13:42 #701417

• NobleHops
  • Vendor
Have not. Certain this is the one it came out of. Sounds like you are suggesting I mix and match for a better fit?

Last edit: by NobleHops.

The Friendship Bike - NobleHops restores a 75 Z1 O 01 Dec 2015 13:46 #701419

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1980
I would suggest a call to Larry Cavanaugh in regards to your cylinder head questions . He is a good guy with sound advise on all things valve train and porting related
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn